Nervous today as daughter goes back to school!

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Good morning,

Big day today as Niamh returns to school after being diagnosed type 1 on 18th December. I'm nervous as hell.... Meeting with the school was great and luckily her teacher is trained in diabetes but can't help feeling anxious .. Will be climbing the walls today..
Will this anxiety ease??

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
I really hope so @Nutty72 - you need to take your strength from your daughter , she probably waltzed off with out a thought !!

schools have good plans in place for treating if needed and contacting if an issue arises so you should do your best to try and relax and let your daughter know you are cool with things - you don't want her to feel any anxiety from you.

all the best !

Reactions: 2 people

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@ himtoo you were right she just breezed in and told everyone what she had to do thanks, I smiled in all the right places, roll on 3:30

Reactions: 8 people

lisacp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Evening Nutty 72
Glad to hear that your daughter had a good first day back at school.
Not sure if you can answer this but here goes!
I have a friend who's daughter was diagnosed over the Xmas holidays, the school will not let her return until staff have been trained. This I totally understand but the school have said that a teacher will have to volunteer and will also need to vaccinated before they can help.
So you know what the vaccination is for? Is your daughter entitled to funding so that she can be given the correct care by a properly trained member of staff.
Thank you in advance

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @lisacp I have no idea what the vaccination is for!??

Guess we are lucky, Niamh's school have been fantastic and have already a pupil that has type 1 and 6 staff and the head are all in the "know" so for us it hasn't been a problem.

Must be stressful for your friend, hope things are sorted out for her soon x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
@ himtoo you were right she just breezed in and told everyone what she had to do thanks, I smiled in all the right places, roll on 3:30

Hello and welcome @Nutty72, kids are so resilient, good on her, she sounds a lovely little girl and a smart cookie too, so pleased it all went well. Wishing your daughter all the very best for a positive, a happy and a healthy life.

Best wishes RRB :)

Reactions: 4 people

KirstyN76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Nutty72 I'm new to this forum . My daughter was diagnosed on 22nd dec (8years old) she returned to school on 8th January. I can honestly say it's one of the hardest things I have ever experienced... The school have been fab and I'm fining it a bit easier now but it is so difficult handing over the responsibility ... Nice to know I'm not the only parent with these anxieties ️xxx

Scimama

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Nutty72 and @KirstyN76

Its early days and probably not even on your radar yet - but ……... when your childs school do after school activities such as Discos, movie nights, book at bedtime etc tood and drink is often involved, don't think your child has to miss out.
I am on PTA for sons school, there are a few children with T1, once we are aware we ensure their are alternatives for them or parents are informed before event what food is served so they can work out insulin requirements.

HTH

KirstyN76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Scimama I'm on our parent council too so I organise most of these events which makes it a bit easier. X @Nutty72 i have much more confidence now in such a short time although my daughter has not allowed anyone else to inject her other than me so far - hoping to change that this week .

Kitkatdrake

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm new to this, my 13 yr old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes on the 22nd January, spent a week in hospital . She returned to school last Wednesday on half days, it's been a huge life changer for her and the rest of the family, lots of tears from her and me, her levels still Arnt stable but she is managing herself to do the injections. Tonight she is running low so in constant contact with hospital, everyday is a worry please tell me it does get better?

KirstyN76

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I promise it does !! Always a worry but less anxiety as you come to terms with it .

Nutty72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I do feel we've turned a corner and j never thought we would feel as comfortable as we do, early days but promising..