Hypoglycemia and mental health

freebirdsfly

I was diagnosed 5 years ago, and since that have received extremely patchy healthcare. Because I've had symptoms and blood sugar levels that don't fit the mould, I've been pushed from pillar to post.
In the last few years my life has been entirely on hold, I'm now 31 and afraid life is passing me by. I've had to run my blood sugars higher than you should because of constant hypos. I can be in a safe zone of say 9, and within 15 between be completely low. Anyway, this has badly impacted my mental and physical health. I'm being treated for severe panic disorder and cannot travel alone, go to work, or even be separated very much from my parents as it has destroyed my confidence and ability. My question is, can anyone recommend a diet that helps reduce hypos? Does anyone have any experience with anxiety disorders because of hypos? Do you think a closed loop pump and cgm would help? I feel very unwell because of the high bs, and think I have autonomic neuropathy as I have a very fast pulse and excess sweating. Cardiologist said the pulse was not from anxiety btw. So fed up with this **** now really want to be able to lead some kind of life!! Thanks guys xx

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
That sounds horrible and it's not surprising you're feeling very anxious. What insulated do you use and what regime are you on?

I'd suggest you try keeping an in depth diary for a week recording sugars, food ,exercise and also other factors such as weather and stress. Then use this ti try and identify whether there is any pattern to these dips e.g. a particular time of day, a lessening or increasing of stress.

Next consider trying a low carb diet if yoi haven't tried it. Basically if you have less carbs your body has to cope with less swings and you may find this helps.

Finally there are a lot of insulins available and they vary a lot in terms of impact and speed. Look at the profile of your current one and worķ out when it's peak is hitting you. Then work out how long it is staying in your body. You may want to consider an insulin with a different profile although don't try and switch without firsts trying to rule out other issues.

Good luck and i hope that helps as a starting point.

freebirdsfly

Thanks tigger. I've tried lots of different diarys, ratios etc and we could never find any pattern, other than I can't tolerate any long acting insulin in the days after menstruation.
I hadn't thought of weather impacting me, so I will note that for a week, and see if there's any correlation.
I asked to try a different insulin, but was told I wouldn't get funding for
It, as it's too expensive.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to have horrible hypos at night which had a big impact on my emotions. I'd be scared to sleep and feel like I'd lost control of my own body.

You mentioned your long acting insulin above. That was the problem for me - no long acting insulin could match my body's needs. For me, the answer was a pump. Now I can adjust precisely how much insulin I'm getting for my basal hour by hour night and day, according to what I need. I can also adjust for exercise, illness, etc. Have you considered a pump?

I also changed my fast acting insulin and that helped too.

You say you've had poor healthcare and that must make it so hard for you. Could you change your doctor? If not, my advice is to learn as much as possible so you can manage your blood sugars.

Basal testing is a good place to start as it could be your basal amount(s) aren't correct. If you get those right, control is easier.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, @freebirdsfly,

Have your doctor's give you a diagnosis yet?

Are they still confused?

Do you still get hypos?

Do the things you eat make you ill?

Do you often get normal readings on your monitor first thing before eating?

If you still feel confused, I have had a lot of experience of having hypos for no reason but eating. I'm not diabetic but have RH. Your story is similar to what I have read and the symptoms are so similar.

I had terrible anxiety problems, and mental health issues.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
@freebirdsfly ask for the cost of the insulin you're currently on and other long lasting insulins. Before i went on a pump i ised porcine isophane which is an older insulin and cheaper than most of the new ones. Don't get palmed off by a blanket refusal, ask them to substantiate their claims. If you're considering a pump that's already a lot more expensive.