Starting Metformin this week...any advice?? Type 1

• Thread starter Deleted member 83869
  • Start Date

LucySW

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just persevere. It's a really good drug if your stomach/gut can tolerate it, so ALWAYS build up the dosage very slowly, and NEVER up the dose too soon. (I did once - ow ow ow.)

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Hi I was diagnosed with Type2 in Jan this year. I am on Metformin 500mg 1 daily for first week bloated and indigestion. Second week increased to 2 daily these side effects are gone now, no runs though made me more constipated if anything, not too bad you will be fine, but yes ask for the slow release ones if you are worried.

elaineglasgow

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was on 100mg X 3 slow release of Metformin and had bowel problems and was sick quite a lot with it, After quite a period I got used to them.Then my nurse changed me to Linagliptin 1 per day I get on fine with them but I am slowly putting on weight. Should I ask to be put onto Metformin again as my weight will be controlled.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a T1. My doctor gave me metformin to increase my sensitivity to insulin, but it acted too well. I ended up in the hospital with an extremely low blood sugar twice. That was all it took for me to stop taking it.
Additionally, metformin can make you anemic, so be sure to check for that periodically and take iron pills if necessary.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I am starting Metformin hopefully this Friday, as my Maternity Diabetes Consultant feels I benefit from this....oh and the fact that it has been spoken about for the last 3 years.....ermm I dont know what to say but is there any tips or advice that anyone could give me???

Thanks x

Buy extra toilet paper as it can cause loose bowels and wind :O

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am starting Metformin hopefully this Friday, as my Maternity Diabetes Consultant feels I benefit from this....oh and the fact that it has been spoken about for the last 3 years.....ermm I dont know what to say but is there any tips or advice that anyone could give me???

Thanks x
I found problems passedin 2-3 days, but not everyone is so lucky. Always eat with food.

Lornylou5

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks x
Hiya Metformin really messes with your bowel so be prepared.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
I'm a T1. My doctor gave me metformin to increase my sensitivity to insulin, but it acted too well. I ended up in the hospital with an extremely low blood sugar twice. That was all it took for me to stop taking it.
Additi onally, metformin can make you anemic, so be sure to check for that periodically and take iron pills if necessary.
Hi
Additionally, metformin can make you anemic, so be sure to check for that periodically and take iron pills if necessary.
Hi I didn't know Metformin can make you anaemic, I think I will ask my doctor when I go if I should be taking some sort of iron.

markemark

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Thanks x
I have been on Metformin for about 9 years now. Take with breakfast and dinner each day. Also take Glimeperide.

Brihaze

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
being pushed into technology

Thanks x
I am confused here why you would be on metformin if you are type 1 surely you must be using insulin

Mikejayuk

I didn't really have any side effects worth noting but I may have been lucky. Just take Metformin while or just after eating. This will improve its effectiveness and minimise any side effects.
Metformin is eliminated from the body by the kidneys and has a half life (that means it has lost half of its effectiveness) in about 6 hours. If you eat irregularly this is useful to know so you can decide whether or not you need to take another tablet. Roughly 94% of the drug is removed from the body in 24 hours.

YorkshireAli

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am confused here why you would be on metformin if you are type 1 surely you must be using insulin

Quite a lot of T1s are prescribed Metformin in addition to insulin to help with insulin resistance.

scaryanne

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi, I was diagnosed as T2D in late Nov and was prescribed Metformin yesterday 1 tablet per day. 1 thing I have noticed is my erratic and untimely bowel movements. Will this cease after a period of time as I see a lot of you have experienced this also? My stomach does feel a little bubbly/gassy but other than that quite normal.

tonyo49

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, I was diagnosed as T2D in late Nov and was prescribed Metformin yesterday 1 tablet per day. 1 thing I have noticed is my erratic and untimely bowel movements. Will this cease after a period of time as I see a lot of you have experienced this also? My stomach does feel a little bubbly/gassy but other than that quite normal.
Yes it should ease off, my experience of 10 years on 3 X 500 mg a day (recently reduced to two a day) has been really good, good control and little or no side effects

kiritshah

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Also if for any reason you are de-hydrated eg because of sickness or diarrhoea whilst on holiday I would suggest to stop taking metformin tablets and re-start when you are well re-hydrated again otherwise it could affect kidney function.This is stated on the PIL but not always explained to patients.It will not affect your diabetes control.

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I was confused earlier too, but metformin is also supposed to increase insulin sensitivity ...

MarcoRiveira

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)