Fenugreek to manage BG levels

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
Hello there,
Wanted to ask if anyone has tried this as a supplement to slower BG levels, if so were there any improvements?
Besides adding it into my daily meal as whole seeds, are there more innovative ways to consume them?
Taking Mets 500g twice daily but the results seems so so, & i find it very tiresome to keep controling portion sizes & the food i eat, life seems to be so more less fun since i got diagnose 60 days ago.

Eating out & having booze seems a thing of the past now!
Thanks for any advice

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
I use fenugreek in seed form, powdered and methi leaves. The seeds I just swallow and the ground and leaves I use in cooking and the occasional tea, the cooking can leave rather pungent smell, I also use cinnamon and turmeric a lot, along with cider vinegar and olive oils both of them I take neat.

I quit all my meds in November in favour of LCHF diet and my BG has steady come down, I've had bouts of colds which have seen my BG rise annoyingly in to BGs of 9-10 but I did my BG today at 2am and my BG was 5.2, in November 2015 BG levels were between 22-35.

Reactions: 2 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
I done an experiment with Fenugreek ~ 2 years ago , I bought 1 kg in powered form and added to all sorts of low carb bakes (cakes, waffles etc etc) and even tried adding it to water to drink. I didn't see any improvement in my overall BS and it tasted revolting :-( Don't let this put you off though, it's worth trying.

The only thing (other than insulin and exercise) I have found to lower my BS is Sauerkraut.

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I haven't tried fenugreek yet, but I will try making a Methi Mutton curry at some time when I can get round to finding some fenugreek leaves.

DominicLaiYew

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Too many to list
I use fenugreek in seed form, powdered and methi leaves. The seeds I just swallow and the ground and leaves I use in cooking and the occasional tea, the cooking can leave rather pungent smell, I also use cinnamon and turmeric a lot, along with cider vinegar and olive oils both of them I take neat.

I quit all my meds in November in favour of LCHF diet and my BG has steady come down, I've had bouts of colds which have seen my BG rise annoyingly in to BGs of 9-10 but I did my BG today at 2am and my BG was 5.2, in November 2015 BG levels were between 22-35.
Hi there,
From what sort of levels did you start with? & how did you get your BG to normal?
Wouls like your expert opinion & advice if can.

Stallen

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Grumpy folk
Thanks Dominic, it only my personal opinion my starting BG had come down to 13-15 in mid December with the aid of LCHF diet, I added in the spices at the same time, which were cinnamon, turmeric and various forms of fenugreek I also started taking cider vinegar too, by the end of December and beginning of January my BG was starting to hit between 5-7 unless I've been ill lve had a couple of colds and one infection, my numbers have been consistently 5-7 I have no idea if I've reached a plateau or if I will get better BG numbers but I'm happy with the result thus far.

Daily routine before breakfast a tablespoon of fenugreek seeds, tablespoon of cider vinegar in water to wash down the seeds I also have a tablespoon of olive oil at this time, I do this before I eat breakfast I repeat this at night before I go to bed.
I also cook with the fenugreek, cinnamon and cider vinegar during the day, I sneak it in to foods as much as possible, yesterday I over did the fenugreek powder in a paneer curry it didn't taste great, but my personal opinion just experiment a bit and see what may work for you.

Also fenugreek can affect certain meds so check if they interact with anything you are taking.

Last edited by a moderator: