Weight gain making BGL worse - can meds cause it?

jooleecee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hot weather, hot weather, hot weather
Does anyone know if the following is likely to cause weight gain? I know my eating is out of control, but it's not so bad that I feel like I should be suddenly gaining 1 pound a week for the past year. Here are the meds I take, or took until recently:

I stopped Lipitor 6 weeks ago because the evidence that they cause harm in one way or another seems to be stacking up.
I also stopped taking Chantix 6 weeks ago (stop smoking aid) and I am still not smoking!
I stopped taking Keppra (sodium valproate) 6 weeks ago as well - it was to try to control restless leg (and arms!)

- Metformin
- Minodiab (Glipizide)
- Lustral (Zoloft)
- Lamotrigine (Lamictal)
- Molipaxin (Trazodone)
- Rivetrol, Clonazepam (Klonopin)
- Depo-Provera injections
- Nexplanon Implant (tried for 6 months then had it removed due to excessive weight gain, but haven't lost the weight at all)
- Omeprazole (Prilosec)

Type 2
AIC ??
BGL: Not under good control
Overweight, compulsive overeater :(

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think simply by being a type 2 diabetic that that in itself will be contributing to weight due to your insulin not doing its job.....

its the faulty insulin that put the weight on .....i couldn't say if the cocktail of drugs your own is having an effect, it may be....

its much easier said than done but cutting the carbs down should help.....in fact this is the hardest part of diabetes, for me anyway......i too am overweight, but this is due to too many carbs and large insulin doses...

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi, I'm not a diabetic!
But I do have a blood glucose disorder.
This means my hormones make me susceptible to weight gain when I eat certain foods. What this means is I have to be careful what I eat.
The problem I have is that I use my glucose really quickly but my pancreas keeps producing insulin. So insulin is really good to turn glucose into energy, but too much is really bad because the excess insulin turns into visceral fat and more fat than the body can cope with.
With diabetes, because of insulin resistance, there is too much glucose, and a surplus of that also turns into fat.
So getting the balance right is important to gain control of your blood glucose levels and weight loss.
I cannot say to you, to stop taking this or that, you will have to speak to your GP.
What I would say is reduce your carbs, reduce your plate size, speak to your GP and exercise more if you can. This will help if you do it properly, it does work.
Two years ago, I was nearly seventeen stone, now, because of my lifestyle, I am eleven and half stone (ish).
You will have to find out from your GP what effect your meds will have!