Feel like I'm doing it wrong...

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today I feel like I'm struggling.

Over the past couple of days I have noticed my sugars are all over the place.
I was on holiday for a week, but was semi careful about what I was eating, and got back to my regular routine from Tuesday.
I had managed to keep my BGs steady before I went (10-12mmols) which is my 3 month target (as I was so high for so long).
I got in touch with the DSN who said I could be insulin resistant, but I want to avoid going back on Metformin.
Yesterday I tested 16 times and varied from 9.9 to 19 at various points of the day.

I base my carbs on a 1:10 ratio, but I think it should be more like 1:5-1:7.

Last night I ate 200g of peanuts and after reading about the fat absorption rate, I think I get a 6 hour spike from this.

I'm going to do basal tests from Monday to get this sorted, but here's where I need advice...

If I get a steady reading, say around the 12's on the tests, this means I have the correct basal rate?
To reduce my levels to around the 10's, would I need to increase my basal, or use my bolus to do this?

I do feel like I am coping really well, but I want it to be perfect and I don't like not knowing how to do it right.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Today I feel like I'm struggling.

Over the past couple of days I have noticed my sugars are all over the place.
I was on holiday for a week, but was semi careful about what I was eating, and got back to my regular routine from Tuesday.
I had managed to keep my BGs steady before I went (10-12mmols) which is my 3 month target (as I was so high for so long).
I got in touch with the DSN who said I could be insulin resistant, but I want to avoid going back on Metformin.

I use mixed insulin and I don't basal/bolus the way you do so I'll let others comment on that aspect of your thread.

For me, my regime works best when I am eating the same amount of carbs every day and injecting the same amount of insulin at the same times. My blood sugars went a bit mad when I was in the US in October (damned Cheesecake Factory) and it didn't settle down straight away when I got back, it took a few days of being back in the old routine.

Give yourself a couple of days and see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@urbanracer Funny you should mention it, but it was the Cheesecake Factory that I splurged on one night and haven't been the same since.

I do feel like I am in a routine, the same routine I had before I went away, but have had a few more carbs twice, but injected accordingly.

That's me up to 22.5 now, so just corrected and I will monitor until bed.

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Have to confess that we went to 3 different branches of CF over the 2 weeks, just too good to resist. If you can't take the odd day off from diabetes then life will be pretty miserable.

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @SRO

Your basal insulin should keep you steady whatever level you are at (within + or - 2mmol/l). You shouldn't do corrections during basal testing. If you are too high or low, then you can make a correction or treat a hypo, but will have to abort the basal test.

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @robert72

I'm ok with not correcting during the test, but if I find the correct basal rate that does keep me stable, what's the best method for then reducing BG levels?
Should I increase my basal to reduce my overall levels?

SRO

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have to confess that we went to 3 different branches of CF over the 2 weeks, just too good to resist. If you can't take the odd day off from diabetes then life will be pretty miserable.
Red velvet cheesecake. Worth every single carb. :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks @robert72

I'm ok with not correcting during the test, but if I find the correct basal rate that does keep me stable, what's the best method for then reducing BG levels?
Should I increase my basal to reduce my overall levels?
Once you find that your basal is keeping you level, then you need to look at your bolus insulin to reduce high levels. Once you are happy with your basal level you can start to work on your insulin:carb ratios.

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have increased my basal over time as I found I have been starting at increasingly higher pre-meal levels. That started happening mostly after I decreased my bolus ratio from 1:10 to 1:6 (though think I need it about 1:7 now).
I have been told since the beginning (28/8/15) that small, incremental steps with basal are best, so worth trying it one unit at a time.?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have increased my basal over time as I found I have been starting at increasingly higher pre-meal levels. That started happening mostly after I decreased my bolus ratio from 1:10 to 1:6 (though think I need it about 1:7 now).
I have been told since the beginning (28/8/15) that small, incremental steps with basal are best, so worth trying it one unit at a time.?
You really need to do basal testing first before adjusting bolus ratios, otherwise you'll never know which insulin is affecting your blood glucose levels. Once you know that your basal is keeping you level, then you can see what your bolus ratios should be. http://www.salforddiabetescare.co.uk/index2.php?nav_id=1007

hansolo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool. Thanks. My dsn changed me from 10 to 5 but I intuitively knew this wasn't right and my BGLs proved this which is why I moved to 6. But I will read on, thanks.

Reactions: 3 people