Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2 OR 3 PUMPS MANIFACTORS
HAVE NOW WITHDRAWN STEEL NEEDLES
SO IT WOULD APPEAR .
WE WILL NOW HAVE TO USE , NYLON ,TEFLON , ECT BUT MY QUESTION IS
NONE ON THEM YOU CAN PURGE INSULIN BEFORE INSERTION into the skin unless somebody has the answer
think about it before you reply ....as all the length of needle back to the connection .. is air only only a small bit but ?

WHAT ARE ANYONE THOUGHT S

VIC NOW on PUMP

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you mean by purge insulin? I don't quite get your question.

I use both steel needles and Teflon cannulas depending on what body area I'm using. For the Teflon cannulas, I bolus a certain amount of insulin to fill the cannula. Is that what you mean?

Reactions: 3 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
The Teflon cannulas are inserted then depending on the length of the cannula you just fill the cannula with what is needed. My cannula takes 0.70 u to fill it. Not a problem at all.

Reactions: 3 people

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
2 OR 3 PUMPS MANIFACTORS
HAVE NOW WITHDRAWN STEEL NEEDLES
SO IT WOULD APPEAR .
WE WILL NOW HAVE TO USE , NYLON ,TEFLON , ECT BUT MY QUESTION IS
NONE ON THEM YOU CAN PURGE INSULIN BEFORE INSERTION into the skin unless somebody has the answer
think about it before you reply ....as all the length of needle back to the connection .. is air only only a small bit but ?

WHAT ARE ANYONE THOUGHT S

VIC NOW on PUMP
Do you mean that you cant fill the cannula with insulin before insertion?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
ewelina
yes thanks for your reply thats it in one
always going to be small amount go into the body told the rep but as he's says no problem but if you go to have a flue jab or any type of injection the nurse or doc always purge the needle
that why i like the steel needle ....................
sorry would look at your thread but i no cook , as my wife does cook will get her to look
take care have a good weekend
vic

Reactions: 2 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
ewelina
yes thanks for your reply thats it in one
always going to be small amount go into the body told the rep but as he's says no problem but if you go to have a flue jab or any type of injection the nurse or doc always purge the needle
that why i like the steel needle ....................
sorry would look at your thread but i no cook , as my wife does cook will get her to look
take care have a good weekend
vic
Vic it doesn't matter if you fill the cannula after insertion as any air that you are worried about just gets pushed through as you fill the cannula with the recommended amount for that particular cannula. Basically you are worrying about nothing or just confused by the concept of it. Worry not though it works just fine.

iHs

Not sure if Animas have withdrawn the Contact D steel needle set but I am using it in my arm at the moment and its working fine so no problem yet.

@vic hill If you are using the Insight or Combo pump, its not hard to purge or fill a teflon cannula. I just used the prime function on the Combo with the set inserted and made sure that no more than 0.30u was done as the prime. The other way which is probably safer is to purge or fill the cannula using the Bolus activated against eating some carb but alter the dose to 0.30u or whatever amount the set used requires. If a normal bolus is done without any carb, the bolus will show up as active insulin for a correction, so dont do that.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The Teflon cannulas are inserted then depending on the length of the cannula you just fill the cannula with what is needed. My cannula takes 0.70 u to fill it. Not a problem at all.
ok then do you join up the link
if you put in the insert needle take out air will be needle can see my point i am trying to say
if insulin comes out of a steel needle you will see it flow before inserting into thespian but not as i can with flex link or nylon
BUT I MIGHT BE WRONG I STAND CORRECTED
vic

I use both steel needles and Teflon cannulas depending on what body area I'm using. For the Teflon cannulas, I bolus a certain amount of insulin to fill the cannula. Is that what you mean?

azure
let me try and explain , maybe it is only done on my type of pump
i look at the instruction book and in both types of needle are inserted into the body first the adhesive liner is peeled away the the needles are pushed in by hand ,or by a insertion device , and you then firm up the adhesive strips round the needle to hold firm on the skin ok
you then get transfer set tubing and join up .
now at that point, when you join up to the needle to the tube you will have air in the needle no way can you avoid this as it is in your skin /body ok it only the lenght of needle as when prime the needle with whatever amount it will push air in to the body
i may be over the top, and i have been told a small amount of air can absorbed
but with all the concern of air bubbles in the line from way back to insulin cartridge .
ps after 50 years of steel needles now told that they are withdrawn
this only for debate .not an issue
will have to stop moaning and move on vic

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@vic hill Ah, ok - I get you now :) I didn't realise you were concerned about air in the body.

Do you know, I never thought about that before until you mentioned it! I guess it must be ok as I've used Teflon cannulas for 12 years, but I do see your point.

My pump is an Animas Vibe. I can still get steel needles for it (6mm length). I like them a lot and they work well for me. I insert them manually.

What pump do you have?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
azure.
well today was d day tried an accu check insight flex needle /or posh word cannula at 9.15 am this morning
had snack 1 unit of insulin to cover coffee and 2 biscuits then off to meet some friends sat in pub about about 12.30
the order a meal , pump goes off occasion pump stops delivery , so mutter off to the car and change back to steel needle which i keep as back up .
then have wait 2/3 hour for blood sugar to come down from 22 .0 as meal ordered ,if at home would miss lunch to bring blood sugars back back to 14.0 at tea time
so have now asked the pump rep to go back on old pump which is COMBO had 2 off and have been very good and steel needle are available ..
bear in mind this has happened 4 other time when using flex link so must be my body make up can only stomach as arms and legs are shot to many injections and lumps ..
just for information .
thanks for reading my notes vic .trust you are well

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Not sure if Animas have withdrawn the Contact D steel needle set but I am using it in my arm at the moment and its working fine so no problem yet.

@vic hill If you are using the Insight or Combo pump, its not hard to purge or fill a teflon cannula. I just used the prime function on the Combo with the set inserted and made sure that no more than 0.30u was done as the prime. The other way which is probably safer is to purge or fill the cannula using the Bolus activated against eating some carb but alter the dose to 0.30u or whatever amount the set used requires. If a normal bolus is done without any carb, the bolus will show up as active insulin for a correction, so dont do that.
see my reply to azure vic

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How annoying, Vic! I can't stand it when some pump mishap messes up my food. Even worse as you'd gone out for a meal.

I think we all have different body compositions and needles and cannulas that suit one person won't suit another. We all have to find what works for us.

I gave my Insight back too! I hated it. I'm now on the Vibe, which is a nice little pump :)

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How annoying, Vic! I can't stand it when some pump mishap messes up my food. Even worse as you'd gone out for a meal.

I think we all have different body compositions and needles and cannulas that suit one person won't suit another. We all have to find what works for us.

I gave my Insight back too! I hated it. I'm now on the Vibe, which is a nice little pump :)
thanks for reply
now going to contact my diabetic team have tried 3 flex link and again last night at a certain suffolk footy match half time bloods aug up to 19 soon as i bolus pump stop does no seem to like so once pump back i did a basel 150% then 2
1 unit bolus just about done before failure again seething and cursing even the footy was the same but we are playing the top team in the champ
this morning going to hospital to see what can be sorted will complain under duty of care now ask to go back on a COMBO PUMP if not forcome .
then will take the whole thing up with NICE and NHS AS I STILL THINK THE DELIVERY SYTEM for flex needle is incorrect when you look on animas site the say to see 5 drops on insulin come out of the needle before insertion
thanks for taking the time to reply
vic 58 years on insulin

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
THE DELIVERY SYTEM for flex needle is incorrect when you look on animas site the say to see 5 drops on insulin come out of the needle before insertion
Hi Vic, you will find that only the metal cannulas need to be filled before insertion. All others are no matter what make or brand filled after insertion.
So you need to search the forum and others to see how many are complaining about the flex link. It's not the pump it the flex link which is the problem. Look in the children's and parents section as believe I saw something in there about the cannulas also search this pump forum and other UK diabetes forums.

Having a look at the flex link I see it has an inserter with it. Have you tried a manual insert? I'm wondering if it's the actual inserter and not the cannula that is to blame. Have you also tried an angled set? Also another added thought do you actually remember to take off the little needle guard before you insert the needle?

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Vic, you will find that only the metal cannulas need to be filled before insertion. All others are no matter what make or brand filled after insertion.
So you need to search the forum and others to see how many are complaining about the flex link. It's not the pump it the flex link which is the problem. Look in the children's and parents section as believe I saw something in there about the cannulas also search this pump forum and other UK diabetes forums.

Having a look at the flex link I see it has an inserter with it. Have you tried a manual insert? I'm wondering if it's the actual inserter and not the cannula that is to blame. Have you also tried an angled set? Also another added thought do you actually remember to take off the little needle guard before you insert the needle?
thank s CarbROK thank you for your advice yes agree the pump is pretty good it just the delivery system since steel needles have been withdrawn all my flex links have been put in by hand not sure what you mean by guard as when you click item 3 on display leaflet the needle clicks into place the insert to skin and pull of box type unit yes i have looked at other forums all have certain complaints my woes are now with accu -chek first then the pct and if all else fails NICE
my family are suffering as well so i have to sort it not sure how well you are ?? but i have transplant and eyes to look after and i think you will agree to keep stable and live life to our best
i and others do not need this hassle .and to be fare why are people allowed ... to put needle in backside ??? as all the cause of complaint in usa seem to come ref needles broken off in bottom with apogies to the TV sit com
thanks vic

Ruth0212

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I too had a problem with the Teflon cannula ( using combo pump though). I find that if I use the insertion device they are fine, but if I put them in manually, I get lots of occlusions.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
thank s CarbROK thank you for your advice yes agree the pump is pretty good it just the delivery system since steel needles have been withdrawn all my flex links have been put in by hand not sure what you mean by guard as when you click item 3 on display leaflet the needle clicks into place the insert to skin and pull of box type unit yes i have looked at other forums all have certain complaints my woes are now with accu -chek first then the pct and if all else fails NICE
my family are suffering as well so i have to sort it not sure how well you are ?? but i have transplant and eyes to look after and i think you will agree to keep stable and live life to our best
i and others do not need this hassle .and to be fare why are people allowed ... to put needle in backside ??? as all the cause of complaint in usa seem to come ref needles broken off in bottom with apogies to the TV sit com
thanks vic

Report on the MHRA website.. Equipment failure.. Thats how most of problems with sets and equipment are sorted. Forces the Companies to look....
The MHRA were fantastic with me 6 years ago when I reported pelroblems with a particular set from Accuchek. They were withdrawn.

vic hill

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi all REFP PROBLEMS WITH TEFLON NOW FINISHED WITH THEM NO MORE ,,,... AS I THINK THAT MY REP WILL .is now going get me back on a combo pump fingers crossed ok will have to RETRAIN
but has certain pros and cons but can work with it .
STEEL NEEDLES NOT SURE WHEN BACK IN PRODUCTION FOR INSIGHT
so some good news ps thanks for all help will not take it any further .STILL SAY AIR GOES IN TO BODY
vic