Phew

tizzy

Hi yesterday had the fright of my diabetic life I was cleaning and didn't want to stop even though I thought would be probably in the 4 or 5s I have symptoms of lows when I hit 7 and going down usually anyway 1.9 on the meter I was-petrified drank loads of orange juice weetabix retested 7 on 2 meters. so I know meters can give false highs can they give false lows when I saw the low reading I was too frightened to do it straight away as if it was lower than that I would have collapsed in sheer fright many thanks tizzy

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Scary when you get to levels like that, hope you have a better day today @tizzy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, I hope you feeling better now. I have done that and it is very scary, but thankfully you were able to treat it. Meters are not 100% accurate and do vary. Take care.

Reactions: 4 people

tizzy

Hi many thanks for your replies my dog would not leave me alone she is normally quite aloof a little fuss and then walks of but she was every where I wanted to be pawing at me bless her next time I will take notice of her straight away tizzy

Reactions: 4 people

BooJewels

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Glad to hear you were able to treat it and hope you're feeling better today. It's quite frightening when it happens.

My parents were both taken ill a couple of weeks ago and I had to go and stay over there with my sister and she has a miniature schanuzer who slept between us on the floor. I was woken one morning by her snuzzling my face and nudging me and I could hear my sister telling her to leave me alone as I didn't want to play as it was the middle of the night (her code to tell her we're not getting up yet). I opened my eyes and the room light was all green, which is my precursor to blacking out, so did my BG and I was at 3.2, which is about the point where I do usually black out. Funny how the dog knew and came to wake me, bless her.

So yes, please do pay attention to your dog in future, they're cleverer/more sensitive than we realise.

Reactions: 6 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi many thanks for your replies my dog would not leave me alone she is normally quite aloof a little fuss and then walks of but she was every where I wanted to be pawing at me bless her next time I will take notice of her straight away tizzy
Your little dog was doing for you what some dogs have been trained to do. :) I think it's wonderful that these little animals can be so concerned about our welfare, even when it's something that they wouldn't really be expected to know about - I had an acquaintance whose little dog "diagnosed" her bowel cancer. So I agree - definitely take notice straight of her away and if possible reward her immediately for her vigilance.

Robbity

Reactions: 2 people

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've done this a few times too...most especially when I'm on a housework mission...one last job and I'll check it type stuff.
My dog does this too...not too often...but more so when I become really low...he gets really restless and starts squeaking at me...I know now that this means to stop what I'm doing and test...he's rarely wrong...I wonder what it is that alerts them...a smell...a sixth sense?

tizzy

Hi I won't be ignoring her in future bless her she has done it once before but I thought it was a one off and I was in the 3s I. Think .She is a border collie crossed with nothing I can see and someone said to me she will become very in tune with me my other pup sleeps through everything bless her

S

Samblease73

I had a reading of 1.1 on my meter once - I thought, "strange, I'm not unconscious?!". Turned out I probably didn't get enough blood onto the test strip. Tested again & was a nice healthy 6.8.

tizzy

Every cloud mrs vimes and samblease I was too scared too recheck I must say I have never eaten or drunk as fast to the point of dribbling lol I did wonder if it was a false reading I felt queer but when I saw 1.9 I felt 10 times worse pains in my stomach shaking horrid so when would you lose consciousness or does it vary .meter usually says error if not enough blood also I carried on once it got to 7 with no after effects whereas when I had a 2.9 I was ill for the rest of the day a wake up call if nothing else

Mrs Vimes

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was 1.6 once. I'd woken up, done a test drank some lucozade, thrown what was left all over the bedroom floor. When I woke up the next day I was surrounded by biscuit crumbs and paper. I didn't remember a flipping thing. I only knew I had a hypo because the bedroom looked like there'd been a burglary. I checked my meter and there it was, 1.6. And then I went to work feeling like I'd been completely steamrollered.
You gave my sympathies. So NO MORE HOUSE WORK!!!!

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
Ive been really low at times, mostly at work and when you do see the very low readings I think you brain kicks in and you start to feel as low as you are. It is really terrifying but glad to hear you are ok now

NicolaN

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@tizzy I had a scare myself this week. I have a CGM on loan and it woke me on Sat night. My sugars were 2.6. I didn't feel it. It scares me thinking about the what ifs.....

S

Shar67

Collies are so smart, my 3 little dogs have no clue. When I came home from hospital after a major op, they wanted to jump all over me, no mind that I had a big stitched wound across body. One night alone in the house I felt incredibly sick, me t thing I knew was coming round on the floor, dogs jumping over me like this is the best game and finally couple of nights ago in bed whilst seeing who could get the closest to me, one lay across my face, nose and mouth covered.
When you are busy it is so easy to carry on, we've all done it reading your post has made me think if in doubt stop test, then carry on if need be

tizzy

Hi yes it's scary stuff isn't I've never been that low before and kinda thought I wouldn't as I'm usually on the high side I'm rubbish at carb counting I can't possibly be eating that amount oh dear maybe I did that sort of thing when I had an op with my last 2dogs I had to come in sit down was surrounded by cushions then braced for the onslaught .The collie is very clever and was running rings round me was lol still is but we are getting there the little cross pup is gorgeous apart from the fact she chases anything This was a real wake up call for me but in a good way I suppose I suddenly feel like I am a diabetic if that makes sense and will be more careful in future we have to be don't we