Mental function when hyperglycaemic

IanCog

Just out of curiosity does anyone feel that they become less able to perform mental tasks when their blood sugar is high?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, definitely. When my working day starts to go pear shaped (but I'm not hypO,) I generally find that I'm hyPER.

I'm type 1 and able to correct with insulin, but if I'm waaaaay high I generally finding myself having to draw a line under that day and retreat - blood like syrup = it's too thick for brain to work - that's how I see it.

I know that doesn't sound very scientific, but that's how it feels.

Reactions: 2 people

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I know the effects of both high and low blood glucose levels, also the horrible symptoms that happens when fluctuating blood glucose levels occur.
A lot of mental problems arise gradually unless you get control.
I called this period of my life, my hypo hell!
It was bloody awful!

Natalie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Definitely...thankfully doesn't happen at all often these days...but when it does...concentration goes right out the window...all I can think of is my bed.

Reactions: 2 people

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just out of curiosity does anyone feel that they become less able to perform mental tasks when their blood sugar is high?

No, I just become irritable. How high is your blood sugar when you feel like that @IanCog ?

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
No. I feel fine with levels of 33+, with the meter flashing Ketones at me. Was regularly hitting 25+ with the lowest probably around 10 mmol/L. My HbA1c at the time wa 99.
Have now gained better control, with my last HbA1c of 53 and daily average coming in at below 7.0 mmol/L

I have no, repeat no, clues when i have hyper levels.

bazzybuggs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Yes, definitely. When my working day starts to go pear shaped (but I'm not hypO,) I generally find that I'm hyPER.

I'm type 1 and able to correct with insulin, but if I'm waaaaay high I generally finding myself having to draw a line under that day and retreat - blood like syrup = it's too thick for brain to work - that's how I see it.

I know that doesn't sound very scientific, but that's how it feels.

I totally get what you mean. It almost feels as if my blood is thicker lol. And any physical exertion feels like I'm moving/walking through treacle.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That's exactly it! And one step further on than that is agonising cramp in the backs of my knees - I blame that on syrupy too-thick blood every time!