Regular moderate exercise log

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just training the pedometer to my stride length and hopefully will be recording pretty accurate all day stuff on to my spreadsheet. Looks like I'm walking a good couple of miles in the course of the working day (which is what the colleague who's given me the pedometer suspected!). I'm quite surprised as I'm not as active as I have been at work, as I'm doing more academic, classroom based support this year, rather than the practical workshop based support of the previous five years!

Now if the weather would just be co-operative in the evenings, I can get back to my five mile evening walks!

Reactions: 2 people

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sounds brilliant, @Japes !

No exercise for me yesterday, but I did my 30 lengths this morning. Was considering going to the running club for the first time yesterday evening, but the call of Line of Duty was just too strong.... :joyful:

Going to try out my new wheels this weekend. Yay! :happy:
So glad to have a bike that is a) not broken and b) fits me better. The hand-me-down from my very tall big brother was always a little too much of a stretch, so my lower back will be very grateful for the change.

Looking forward to the Animas Sports Weekend at Loughborough next weekend - hoping to pick up lots of tips!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's quite awesome. Now I've walked it several times around some of my regular walks where I already knew the mileage and played around with my stride length on the machine, I've got it to about as accurate as I'm going to get it. I'm really quite chuffed about the working day stats as that is upping my averages very nicely! From a good week averaging 4 - 5 miles a day, I've gone to 5 - 6 miles a day with no effort. :D

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Saturday - treadmill, 30 lengths, afternoon/evening bike ride to local-ish pub up and down some hills in the glorious bluebell-y sunshine - perfect!

Loving my new bike.

Not planning on anything too energetic today, but there is definitely some fresh air on the cards.

Have a lovely Sunday!

:)

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood sugar a bit irratic.
Gym for 1 hour 40 min saturday.....weights and treadmill.
This morning sunday 4.5 miles in the pouring rain a bit slow but made me feel better.
Ta ta

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
3hr walk. Shattered. Feet up.

Bit much this weekend!

:dead:

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I had intended to do a ten mile walk on Monday, but had seriously miscalculated the availability of sensible food en route, ("It's a Bank Holiday," I thought to myself as I looked at the lunch box and left it at home, "I'll treat myself to lunch out.") and by the time I'd sorted the mid-walk near-hypo I decided to give up at seven miles. Still impressed with myself as it's not that long ago three miles would have been too far to contemplate.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bad luck @Japes - what a shame there wasn't anything available - glad you sorted the hypo.

I went for a swim on BH Monday and ended up staying ages afterwards, unexpectedly, for a chat and a coffee...... and I hadn't texted my husband to let him know I was a) alive and b) not coming home immediately, and was so deep in conversation that I just didn't think. Bless him, after a while chatting and sipping coffee I saw someone very familiar running through the car park brandishing a carton of Ribena - he had come to rescue me! Turns out there's no phone reception in the coffee area, so he'd been ringing and ringing, convinced I was hypo. Am so, so lucky to have him!

Poor chap. I was very sheepish.

No gym yesterday as woke up in the teens - am fighting off a cold and that's sent me way off. Bad, bad day yesterday - couldn't get properly within my target.

Still out of whack this morning but batted away symptoms with Beechams cold and flu and headed off to the treadmill. So glad I went, as I feel better for going, but I do still feel mildly peaky - not to mention my sugars.

Ho hum.

Have a good day, all!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Fortunately, I do always have a few snacks with me.

Back to normal walking routes and routine definitely suits me better. Though, I'm having a different working day tomorrow. I've been classroom based this past year, but have been asked to do a day in the workshops which means a day in my boots and overalls and on my feet! I'm happy about it, but will be keeping an eye on things... luckily those I will be working with know if I say I need to test/eat, I mean it.

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Today will see me get past the 400 mile mark. It would've happened yesterday if there hadn't been thunder and lightning and rain at an inopportune moment!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahem. I haz achieved 400 miles since January. An average of 3.2 miles a day, though it's fair to point out the last two months have averaged 5.2 miles a day. I'm quite proud of myself and am off for a bath to celebrate.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi folks, not been exercising for a bit thanks to a clumsy accident!

Bike ride last Thursday, longer bike ride yesterday, 30 lengths of the pool this morning. It did twinge for the first 10 or so lengths, but improved as I carried on, and now I'm feeling great! I've really missed it. Hoping that this is the start-back to daily - or at least almost daily - exercise again.

Whether I can handle the treadmill tomorrow though remains to be seen. Might just be swimming for a bit.

Have a great day, all!

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Morning!

Treadmill yesterday - did a longer, slower cool-down and thus avoided the need for an increased temporary basal rate afterwards - was really pleased. Normally I'll do 150% of my normal basal rate for 3-4 hours after exercise to keep me around 6-7mmol/l. I was staggered.

Swimming today - did 2 more lengths than normal, and the last 5 lengths were much slower and steadier. Wasn't actually convinced that this would have prevented the post-swim blood sugar climb, so set a 130% TBR for 3 hours....... which I stopped within the hour when I found I was unexpectedly 3.7mmol/l%!

I think I've cracked this exercise thing!

Two and a half weeks ago I went on the Animas Sports Weekend - if you're into exercise, at whatever level, do consider going to the next one - this is the first year they're running two - the other one this year is in October, then it's going to be May and October after that - anyway, this is one of the techniques I learned on the weekend to steady-up my rampagingly-climbing high sugars after exercise.

https://www.animascorp.co.uk/SportsWeekend
If you're interested, places sell out incredibly quickly. It's for type 1s, you don't have to be using an Animas pump - it's open to all type 1s - places are first come, first served, and you are only allowed to attend the weekend once (i.e. you can't go again and again). I'd recommend e-mailing them via the above link to register your interest, then you'll get an e-mail to let you know when registration opens for the next event.

Onwards and upwards!

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yippee! Now got The Proclaimers loudly singing "And I would walk 500 miles" in the background. Just gone past the 500 miles on the spreadsheet. Think the pedometer now is being a very helpful tool, despite my initial scepticism.

Glad you're back on the exercise @Snapsy . The longer slower cool down sounds sensible.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Woke up this morning with stiff legs thanks to that first treadmill session after two weeks off. Nggggggggggg!

Still, am about to head off to the gym to do it all again - gently does it, though!

:eek:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Woke up this morning with stiff legs thanks to that first treadmill session after two weeks off. Nggggggggggg!

Still, am about to head off to the gym to do it all again - gently does it, though!

:eek:

GO GO GO:). my legs are sore from gardening, but just about to drag myself out for my morning run and kick my old system into section. :)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum mobile app

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi anyone
Exercise very limited due to eye surgery.
Its likechaving withdrawal symptons, I think.
:cool:

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Hi anyone
Exercise very limited due to eye surgery.
Its likechaving withdrawal symptons, I think.
:cool:

Hopefully when you are fully recovered you can expand your exercise regime again.

I had to stop all cardio for 12 weeks and a couple of weeks ago got the all clear.

Just done my morning run which is now 1 mile every morning only 2 weeks since discharged by the hospital cardiologist.

It feels great even when I have gardening soreness. :)

scouse13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hopefully when you are fully recovered you can expand your exercise regime again.

I had to stop all cardio for 12 weeks and a couple of weeks ago got the all clear.

Just done my morning run which is now 1 mile every morning only 2 weeks since discharged by the hospital cardiologist.

It feels great even when I have gardening soreness. :)

Cheers