Rant alert

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Really sorry to moan and rant, but feeling a little down . I am trying so hard to stick to a healthy diet, avoid things that I know will spike me and seen a real improvement in my BG readings over the last 8/9 weeks, which I am so pleased with. I just feel so restricted, fed up of constantly taking medication and feeling different to everyone else at work. We have had a few birthdays recently and the temptation of cakes too great and I feel really guilty if I have one, but also equally as guilty if I don't. Today we have staff training after work, and I know that if I don't have something to eat during the meeting my sugars will go too low as I am gliclazide and have my lunch really early at 11.30 and don't finish the meeting until 6, but don't want to be the only staff member there having a Sandwich or something similar. Sorry about the moan and I feel that I should be spured on by my low readings but just not feeling motivated.

amgrundy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being bored
Really sorry to moan and rant, but feeling a little down . I am trying so hard to stick to a healthy diet, avoid things that I know will spike me and seen a real improvement in my BG readings over the last 8/9 weeks, which I am so pleased with. I just feel so restricted, fed up of constantly taking medication and feeling different to everyone else at work. We have had a few birthdays recently and the temptation of cakes too great and I feel really guilty if I have one, but also equally as guilty if I don't. Today we have staff training after work, and I know that if I don't have something to eat during the meeting my sugars will go too low as I am gliclazide and have my lunch really early at 11.30 and don't finish the meeting until 6, but don't want to be the only staff member there having a Sandwich or something similar. Sorry about the moan and I feel that I should be spured on by my low readings but just not feeling motivated.
Hi kjc2011, You rant and man as much as you like, we are here to listen we all feel like this sometime, its a constant battle. You are doing really well, you eat what you normally eat and when you want, keep up your good work and don't get too down lots of hu:):happy:gs from me. :happy::happy:

Reactions: 4 people

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Thank you @amgrundy for your kind words and support. I guess that I'm just having an off day, not the first and certainly won't be the last I'm betting. Hope you have had a good day ☺

Reactions: 3 people

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Support takes various forms and guises kjc2011 and if a rant helps, we understand. All in all it sounds like you are doing really well....I'll probably be needing your support when I've been on my LCHF diet with weekly fasting for 8/9 weeks:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Rant as much as you like. There's no-one here that doesn't understand how you feel. I'm sure we have all been there at one time or another. I felt guilty yesterday, which made me stress too much about having lunch with girlfriends at one of their houses. I knew she was making some sandwiches and a small buffet and I didn't want to make a fuss or appear to be ungrateful for the invitation, or appear churlish by picking at my food. These girlfriends are not diabetics, don't understand diabetes, and none of them "approves" of my LCHF diet despite my obvious success and new slim figure. In the end it wasn't as bad as I'd feared and I had a wonderful time, but I should have been able to look forward to it instead of stressing about what I might eat.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

If you explain the reason why you have to eat, then there should be few problems.
I have to eat every three hours, before I go hypo, and I have to work, but find something to your taste and low carb that will tide you over till you get a proper meal.
Nuts are a good idea.
I bore my colleagues with my weird medical diagnosis if anyone asks!
They soon stop asking.

We have a scream thread, look at that and let loose!

kjc2011

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Exercising lol
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of nuts and will take look at the scream thread @nosher8355. I sometimes have a cracker bread as well as they are low carb or a piece of cheese. The training we were having just happened to get cancelled, so I was so glad of that, just marked the children's books as usual after school and headed home. I have to find a little so e thing to pick at just after work ntil my evening meal. I eat early as the dinner ladies have the children 11.30 until 12 so by the ti e the children go home I can feel myself becoming hungry and and beginning to become a little low in the 4s. So by the time I arrive home after my 30 minute walk I am almost hypo. I'm glad do hear you had a lovely lunch with your friends @Bluetit1802 anytime you need a friendly ear @KevinPotts I'm always on here.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks everyone. I like the idea of nuts and will take look at the scream thread @nosher8355. I sometimes have a cracker bread as well as they are low carb or a piece of cheese. The training we were having just happened to get cancelled, so I was so glad of that, just marked the children's books as usual after school and headed home. I have to find a little so e thing to pick at just after work ntil my evening meal. I eat early as the dinner ladies have the children 11.30 until 12 so by the ti e the children go home I can feel myself becoming hungry and and beginning to become a little low in the 4s. So by the time I arrive home after my 30 minute walk I am almost hypo. I'm glad do hear you had a lovely lunch with your friends @Bluetit1802 anytime you need a friendly ear @KevinPotts I'm always on here.

A small pack of nuts or a mini babybel have always been my typical go-to gap fillers.

Reactions: 6 people

Lindy1706

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My work often means that I am having to attend meetings at silly times of the day so I need to ensure that I keep a "snack pack" as I call them with me at all times.

I include things like, serano ham, cheese slices (Lidl and Aldi do a fantastic cheap selection of sliced Dutch cheeses), Babybell, nuts, a small tub of olives.

I have found that Systema do a lovely selection of handbag sized containers and I have found some lovely fabric bags with a plastic lining that I can pack my snacks into along with a serviette and it fits in my bag with no hassle.

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
I'm quite new to this low-carb diet, but mostly feeling very positive, as I'm well on target to lower my BG and can't wait to have my next diabetic review. I'm sure my energy levels are way up and I'm embarrassing my teenagers every day with my constant dancing, and PDAs with my wife.

But I have found it's quite easy to come crashing out of that - when thinking you've 'beaten it' turns out to be a load of wishful thinking and you have cake / bread for a day and put on over a kilo for instance, and every now and then I remember stuff I won't be able to eat - a typical French holiday breakfast of French bread and jam or croissants, Dunkin' Donuts - far too many mince pies and Christmas cake. I think it's a bit like grieving, and I have on occasion found it easy to turn down cake recently, so it might just be phase one has to go through (though frankly, no-one in my workplace is as good a baker as I am, so it's easier to look down on their paltry temptations)

I'm possibly also in a very cheery mood because of the weight loss (I can't walk past a mirror), and realise that will peter off soon - 5 more kilos and I'll be the same weight as when I was 17. I think what really cheers me up is the CHANCE to not have complications - it's not certain of course, but before I started controlling my carbs, I basically had resigned myself to the inevitable decline of DM2 and now I can do something about it. We all have to trade off enjoying life with living longer - you could shut yourself up in a nunnery and probably live a bit longer, but you have to have a decent quality of life, so find a trade-off.

I've sort of made a deal with myself - in that if I do want to over-indulge I have to work for it. I aim to expend twice as much energy - a long cycle ride or hike - and it seems to work (believe me, a cream tea after cycling 15 miles tastes SO much better).

Last edited by a moderator:

annscullamus

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I so understand your dilemma ! I posted for the first time after feeling like a failure, only a week ago, and folk are so very friendly and understanding. I carry natural low carb store ( google it ) bars and small packs or their granola as my snacks and emergency rations, but it doesn't always hit the spot and I do mentally collapse and have something illegal. Be strong and keep talking - it helped me enormously !

satkins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I completely understand what your saying. Yesterday my office ordered in pizza for everyone. I didn't want to feel left out so I joined in. I had once slice (because it's white bread) and for my other two pieces I just took the toppings off and ate them with a knife and fork. I wish I would have said I couldn't make it to lunch because of the looks everyone was giving me. btw that meal put me up to a 11.5 from a nice 5.3 before lunch. Try to explain that I can't have bread and cereals because it raises my blood sugar to much. Same sort of thing a few weeks ago when I made a mug cake (fresh out of the microwave) when it was someone's birthday and they all had cupcakes. It's not an easy thing to live with. At least my family is supportive and have even switched a lot of their diet to help me.

Lauraduff92

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello :) I know you how you feel. Everyone in my office brings in snacks and treats and puts them on the "cake table" or always ask me to come out for lunch on a Friday and I am starting to feel awkward saying no all the time because the young are always at McDonald's or KFC and I have just cut all of that food out of my diet. I hope they know I'm saying no for my health not because I am rude :(!

Eurobuff

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have the same problem. There are biscuits, donuts, chocolate & home made cakes constantly where I work. What doesn't help is that one of the people I work with is diabetic and he eats everything going so they don't understand why I don't. I have now got my levels to non diabetic readings (I am diet controlled), he has been told that his medication has to be increased. But even that doesn't stop them saying, well it won't kill you, he's alright etc, I think they think I'm a hypochondriac .

AnnStenekes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Racism, elitism,
Don't be apologetic about having diabetes. It's a matter of life or death and it's not your fault. The world around you will adjust to your routine. Do what you think is safe for you.
Lots of cheers and good luck.
PS: always keep a carb snack in your hand bag.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
Gala, that's really wonderful. You clearly have a serving heart which is increasingly rare in this day and age. Kevin

Providence 62

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not riding my bike
My work often means that I am having to attend meetings at silly times of the day so I need to ensure that I keep a "snack pack" as I call them with me at all times.

I include things like, serano ham, cheese slices (Lidl and Aldi do a fantastic cheap selection of sliced Dutch cheeses), Babybell, nuts, a small tub of olives.

I have found that Systema do a lovely selection of handbag sized containers and I have found some lovely fabric bags with a plastic lining that I can pack my snacks into along with a serviette and it fits in my bag with no hassle.

Love those little Systema boxes!! I have several.

RAPS_od

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have so much empathy for your situation.
Although I'm retired now, I worked for a major corporation for 35 years. I started as a salesperson and found out I was good at it. At the end of the sales rally period, they'd bring in cake for everybody.
Everybody except me, of course.
I can't tell you how many times I had to sit down with management and ask them to please include those of us who were on diets or had allergies or are diabetic by simply bringing in some apples or fruit.
Lord Agnes! You would have thought I asked for the effing moon! I finally had to say, "Did I contribute to the results?" Knowing full well I did (and significantly), I'd follow with, "The reward you brought, while nice for others, punishes me."
After several repeats, they finally started bringing in apples. It was astounding how fast they'd disappear, even when there was cake left over.
As far as birthdays, if anyone asked me, I'd always ask for angel food cake, whipped cream, and strawberries. I can count all that and it doesn't hurt me.
And I share your frustration during meetings, too. It's okay to be different. You'd be surprised how many doors you open for others by taking care of yourself.
I think sitting down with the boss is a good idea to let them know what's what with you, too. Partnering is always a good idea.