pulses

lacerta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you include legumes in you mealplans? What I'm reading is controversial - some resources say legumes are good for stabilising diabetes, some resources say they have too many carbs.

Now I'm adding some lentils to soup I'm preparing and I want to figure out how much carbs it has - do I need to subtract grams of fiber from grams of carbs?

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have the packet? If it's a UK pack the answer is no the fibre is already subtracted from the carb figure - if it's a USA pack then yes you need to subtract the fibre

I love pulses but they shoot my blood sugar up more than bread and potatoes - but many can tolerate them so the only way of knowing what they are like for you is to test before and after eating

Reactions: 2 people

lacerta

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Do you have the packet? If it's a UK pack the answer is no the fibre is already subtracted from the carb figure - if it's a USA pack then yes you need to subtract the fibre

I love pulses but they shoot my blood sugar up more than bread and potatoes - but many can tolerate them so the only way of knowing what they are like for you is to test before and after eating

Hmm, I'm in continental Europe
I'll test.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree, test. I can't have them at all
The reason 'they' say they're diabetic friendly is because they're high in fiber and of course everything high in fiber is good for diabetics. I find fiber doesn't make much difference. I don't subtract it and count all the carbs. That is more accurate for me. Fat is what helps me, not carbs in any shape or form. I do eat avocado but I believe it is the high fat content much more so than the fiber.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't eat lentils or beans without spiking, but I can eat peas. I love my peas, so that is a good thing, but I do put butter on them.

Reactions: 4 people

ChrisSamsDad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
UKIP, royalty, football, gin, goat's cheese.
Hmm, I'm in continental Europe
I'll test.
I'm pretty sure it's an EU rule, so it'll be the same as in the UK, i.e. the fibre doesn't need to be subtracted, it already has.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My experience with lentils is typically that they give me a longer, slower rise, but over that longer period it's as high as a fast carb for the same count of carb, so you'd be best off testing!

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
My experience with lentils is typically that they give me a longer, slower rise, but over that longer period it's as high as a fast carb for the same count of carb, so you'd be best off testing!

My doc would not let me experiment with pulses, but my 3 months review is now only a stones throw away, so I have to think about what to start testing....small glass of red wine each evening (80ml) will be top of my list:)

Sent from my iPhone using DCUK Forum

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My doc would not let me experiment with pulses, but my 3 months review is now only a stones throw away, so I have to think about what to start testing....small glass of red wine each evening (80ml) will be top of my list:)

Red Wine is great. It does nothing at all to raise my levels. Fabulously.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Red Wine is great. It does nothing at all to raise my levels. Fabulously.

Fingers crossed...let the trading begin as I bought a case of wonderful award winning Shiraz whilst on hols, just waiting to be quaffed:)

Glink

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes, I think the only way to know is to try various pulses and test. I can tolerate some in small quantities, but they are a "treat" for me, not an everyday kind of thing. I also find a slower rise with them than with simple sugars, but my fasting numbers are always my Achilles' heel. Dry wine also helps my BS, so on the rare occasions when I do have pulses with supper I try to have a glass of wine with it to help with the morning-after blood sugar.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Yes, I think the only way to know is to try various pulses and test. I can tolerate some in small quantities, but they are a "treat" for me, not an everyday kind of thing. I also find a slower rise with them than with simple sugars, but my fasting numbers are always my Achilles' heel. Dry wine also helps my BS, so on the rare occasions when I do have pulses with supper I try to have a glass of wine with it to help with the morning-after blood sugar.

Great advice. I never thought about the combination effect of pulses with dry wine. Thanks:)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fingers crossed...let the trading begin as I bought a case of wonderful award winning Shiraz whilst on hols, just waiting to be quaffed:)
I take it you're a lucky one then, and red wine isn't a migraine trigger (or not one any longer now) for you?

It was often a bad one for me and I've never dared try it again since I've been low carbing. :(

Robbity
PS When I retired I did actually buy a nice case for my leaving do at work, and there was a bottle left over which I was saving for a suitable special occasion, and my blasted non-alcohol-drinking husband took it with (oops: WITHOUT) my knowledge and used it for an every day coq-au-vin. One of the occasions which nearly triggered an assassination attempt when I found out what he'd done.:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I take it you're a lucky one then, and red wine isn't a migraine trigger (or not one any longer now) for you?

It was often a bad one for me and I've never dared try it again since I've been low carbing. :(

Robbity
PS When I retired I did actually buy a nice case for my leaving do at work, and there was a bottle left over which I was saving for a suitable special occasion, and my blasted non-alcohol-drinking husband took it with my knowledge and used it for an every day coq-au-vin. One of the occasions which nearly triggered an assassination attempt when I found out what he'd done.:mad:

No jury would have found you guilty... the swine.

I find a glass of red wine appears to suppress my 2 hour post dinner BG :),

though my tolerance for -OH groups is not what it was...:(

Welshman1952

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm a vegan and without pulses my diet would be both boring and problematic. Fortunately, my BS seems to handle them without difficulty. Having said that, I don't eat huge quantities as I am trying to lose weight. For me the key has been to test and now I know how much soup, lentil loaf (etc) I can have without a spike.

As for the wine thing, I spent all my working life dealing with substance misuse. As a result I've no enthusiasm or palate for wine, beers or spirits. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-alcohol, I'd just rather spend my hard earned on a new camera lens than a few cases of Chablis

Besides ... the lens lasts longer

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I gave up my evening glass of red with my meal after diagnosis in order to lose weight. Once all the weight went and I was struggling to stop losing more, the nightly glass returned. It was a great addition to my much needed extra calories. :)
I also find it helps to lower any post dinner spike.
Maybe it should be prescribed for us. ;)

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes

Robbity
PS When I retired I did actually buy a nice case for my leaving do at work, and there was a bottle left over which I was saving for a suitable special occasion, and my blasted non-alcohol-drinking husband took it with (oops: WITHOUT) my knowledge and used it for an every day coq-au-vin. One of the occasions which nearly triggered an assassination attempt when I found out what he'd done.:mad:

I'm fine with red wine in terms of headaches. It was chockie that triggered them for me, but that's gone since I started LCHF.

Sacrilege from hubby eh:) Did you go mental?