Need advice please!

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have a 12 year old daughter, she is not over weight nor getting symptoms of diabetes.

Today she told me she was feeling shaky and as a diabetic i saw she was pale and tested her! Her bgl was 3.2.

I researched where it should be for her age (as when i was in hospital with my babies this was ok for them) and so told her to go eat something.

She had half a muffin and some raisins.

I tested her an hour later to make sure she was ok and she was 8.8!!!

She adviced me that she had tested before (when i wasnt home) and she was 8.2 (we were discussing diabetes and explaining how the body works etc and she did ask if some one without diabetes could get a result of 8.2!)

Ok so is she carb intolerant or diabetic... what would be the next step. I already follow a vlc diet but not sure if that extreme would be ok for her to follow! I feel disapointed in myself that this has happened! Please note meals are healthy and plenty of fruit... my husband struggles with putting on weight so we do have unhealthy foods in the house.

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have a 12 year old daughter, she is not over weight nor getting symptoms of diabetes.

Today she told me she was feeling shaky and as a diabetic i saw she was pale and tested her! Her bgl was 3.2.

I researched where it should be for her age (as when i was in hospital with my babies this was ok for them) and so told her to go eat something.

She had half a muffin and some raisins.

I tested her an hour later to make sure she was ok and she was 8.8!!!

She adviced me that she had tested before (when i wasnt home) and she was 8.2 (we were discussing diabetes and explaining how the body works etc and she did ask if some one without diabetes could get a result of 8.2!)

Ok so is she carb intolerant or diabetic... what would be the next step. I already follow a vlc diet but not sure if that extreme would be ok for her to follow! I feel disapointed in myself that this has happened! Please note meals are healthy and plenty of fruit... my husband struggles with putting on weight so we do have unhealthy foods in the house.
If in doubt go to your GP and ask for tests. They could take bloods for an HbA1c and also run a glucose tolerance test.

All people (diabetic and non diabetic) can go out of range post meal before returning to normal levels. I wouldn't be too concerned about the 8.8mmol/L after the muffin, but I would be concerned where it is 90 minutes/2 hours post meal.

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/diabetes_care/blood-sugar-level-ranges.html

Whilst waiting for the GP appointment, you could measure her BG first thing to see what her fasting BG is.

Grant