Hello from Turin

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello,
my name is Mike, I'm from Italy and is about one year that I've found that I've Type II diabetes.
I was a blood donor, so after my last blood donation I received a lettere saying that I should go to the hospital and redo the blood tests. Unfortunately the glucose level of 250 mg/dl (or 13.9 mmol/l) was confirmed. Got a strong diet, lost 17 kg, take metformine and I changed completely my eating habits. Very few ice creams, almost no pizza, almost no sushi and japanese restaurants. I don't mind eating a lot of vegetables or actually stay away from junk foods like sweets, industrial cakes and bakery "items".

Yhe only regret I have, or I dare to say "hatred" is that if someone had told me the real dangers of eating in a disorderly manner and the real dangers of diabetes and metabolic syndrome, surely I would have started to follow a more healthy diet.

I hope the new mayor of Turin will follow the promise of the promotion of more sane diets, even is she takled about vegan and vegetarian.....

Reactions: 7 people

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@MikeTurin - Hello and Welcome to the Forum :). @daisy1 will provide you with some basic information that all new members receive. Have a read around on the threads and ask questions, there will always be someone to answer.

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello Mike, I am from Turin as well and I have been type 1 for some thirty years now (got diagnosed at 20, now I am 52). Welcome to the forum and first of all let me congratulate you on your weight loss, 17 kg is a great achievement, so: be proud!
As for the new mayor, well… personally I don't care much for public promotion of healthier lifestyles, unless the program is really comprehensive and wide-ranging, you know: promoting a single diet is rarely of any use, as different people thrive with different diets (plus, I don't like public authorities patronizing me and telling me how I should 'behave', no matter how good their intentions. Living with diabetes does NOT mean we are under anybody's guardianship, be it the mayor or healthcare professionals or whoever). I would only approve of more wide-spanning policies, tackling not only price and availability of healthier foods everywhere (school and work canteens, restaurants, bars, air-travel meals, etc.) but also – and perhaps foremost – urban planning, working hours, public transportation, cycling routes, health-system bureaucracy, and… urban planning again (yes, I do blame urban planners a lot. Hope you are not one, by the way).

Now let me tell something about your self-blaming for your past eating habits. It's all very well that you have changed your diet to suit your needs and that you feel comfortable with the change. But please do not assume that 'you brought diabetes on yourself', for this is gross oversimplification. Lots of people eat too much or eats unwisely, and yet they don't ever get T2 diabetes. A lot of people are either very overweight or obese, yet they are not T2 and never will be.

So please don't contribute to the widespread idea that bad eating habits or weight issues are the 'causes' of diabetes. Correlation is not 'cause for', you can research into this and you'll get interesting findings.

Furthermore, being a normal-weight T1, and living in Italy (where people never seem to make anything of the 'T1' prefix), I strongly resent the general assumption that I 'could have avoided it, if only I had eaten this or not eaten that or drunk the other'. I resent the 'You can't have diabetes: you are not fat!' and the stubborn 'blame the patient' attitude. So if we could help the general public develop a better understanding of the condition, that would be quite a meaningful step forward, don't you agree?

Hope to read you again somewhere on the forum. Best wishes!

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@MikeTurin

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum :) Here, as mentioned above, is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find over 150,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates

Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

LOW CARB PROGRAM:
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/low carb program

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to bloodglucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 2 people

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Mike and welcome to the forum. It's good that you have found your way here, because you will find plenty of help and support for any questions or concerns that you may have. Read around the forums, and the information that Daisy will give you, and please ask any questions you may have. There is usually someone around who will be able to help.

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
Ciao @MikeTurin e benvenuto a the Forum!
Since my diagnosis six months ago I have unfortunately given up my beloved pasta. Linguine a la Carbonara, or con Vongole,; Bucatini Amatriciana, or Puttanesca, Lasagne al Forno - I miss them so much !!:arghh:
I can live without ice-cream - just, but pasta has been a great friend all my life.
The challenge for me has been to create acceptable alternatives and not just "plastic" copies of my favourites and some members here are very good at posting successful recipes.
Buona salute!

urbanracer

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being able to eat as many chocolate digestives as I used to.
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello and welcome to the forum :)
Best wishes RRB

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome sounds like you are on the right track and well done on the weight loss

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Mike, I am from Turin as well and I have been type 1 for some thirty years now (got diagnosed at 20, now I am 52). Welcome to the forum and first of all let me congratulate you on your weight loss, 17 kg is a great achievement, so: be proud!
I think the fact I've relocated helped, you know, moving furniture and going a lot of times to look beds and kitchens at Ikea and furniture factories helpet to make physical activity. ;)
As for the new mayor, well… personally I don't care much for public promotion of healthier lifestyles, unless the program is really comprehensive and wide-ranging, you know: promoting a single diet is rarely of any use, as different people thrive with different diets (plus, I don't like public authorities patronizing me and telling me how I should 'behave', no matter how good their intentions. Living with diabetes does NOT mean we are under anybody's guardianship, be it the mayor or healthcare professionals or whoever).
Let me explain better my idea about it. I've studied computer science engineering and got the "chartered engineering" certification, so I think I suppose that I have a sufficient reading comphrension of technical material and I'm able to find books in the library or documents on internet on given subjects.
When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I've approached the matter like a new engineering argument. Going in the library, using the OPAC system to find the books on the arguments, borrowing them, photocopying the more important pages and highlighting an making notes on the copied and put them in a binder, going on internet and find other documentation. I've also found some local diabetics association.
First of all I've started the research AFTER the diabetologist diagnosis. I'll return to this later, but if I were warned of the risks earlier I surely changed my lifestyle earlier.
If people aren't naturally curious like me and have been forged to swallow books, I find difficult that they'll find informations on healthy lifestyles and diet, being bombarded by ads of junk foods, and the abundance of bad foods in the supermarkets. The proposed diet by the mass media are normally snake oil fads and are associated at commercial operations that try to sell costly items and promising easy solutions to weight problems.
Now let me tell something about your self-blaming for your past eating habits. It's all very well that you have changed your diet to suit your needs and that you feel comfortable with the change. But please do not assume that 'you brought diabetes on yourself', for this is gross oversimplification. Lots of people eat too much or eats unwisely, and yet they don't ever get T2 diabetes. A lot of people are either very overweight or obese, yet they are not T2 and never will be.
I was obese, I've had bad triglicerids and cholesterol levels, and familiarity on this. My GP never warned me of the risks to getting diabetes having a metabolic syndrome, and that metabolic syndrome is not a thing you control only with a pill.
I was at risk - I found reading after the diagnosis - the professional that should have warned me never did. Actually he minimized the fact the blood exams I've done when donating blood were borderline, as in (as in 99 mg/dl). Maybe sending me to the dietologist and saying clearly that I should lose weight will have helped me to delay the diabetes insurgency from metabolic syndrome.
Yes, I've changed my GP: i lost the trust on him, of course, but now my health problems are bigger...

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I found out yesterday that my insulin level is more than twice what it should be. With a bit of research I also found out that it has likely been that high for decades. Your cells get overwhelmed with too much insulin and become less and less responsive to it in self defense. Insulin resistance. And with my levels, extremely high insulin resistance. This makes it almost impossible to not gain weight, especially if you don't know this is happening, and you don't know because your BS is still normal at this stage. Now my BS is not normal, my pancreas cannot keep up with that level of insulin resistance. Losing weight is next to impossible. If I had known 20 years ago what was going on I might have been able to change it, but I did not know. Blaming myself does not change this, all I can do is try to control it now. Diabetes is not your fault. You drew a lousy hand of cards and now you have to play it. You have lost some weight and changed your diet. You are making a lousy hand into a winning one. Good job.:D:p:)

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I think the fact I've relocated helped, you know, moving furniture and going a lot of times to look beds and kitchens at Ikea and furniture factories helpet to make physical activity. ;)

Let me explain better my idea about it. I've studied computer science engineering and got the "chartered engineering" certification, so I think I suppose that I have a sufficient reading comphrension of technical material and I'm able to find books in the library or documents on internet on given subjects.
When I was diagnosed with diabetes, I've approached the matter like a new engineering argument. Going in the library, using the OPAC system to find the books on the arguments, borrowing them, photocopying the more important pages and highlighting an making notes on the copied and put them in a binder, going on internet and find other documentation. I've also found some local diabetics association.
First of all I've started the research AFTER the diabetologist diagnosis. I'll return to this later, but if I were warned of the risks earlier I surely changed my lifestyle earlier.
If people aren't naturally curious like me and have been forged to swallow books, I find difficult that they'll find informations on healthy lifestyles and diet, being bombarded by ads of junk foods, and the abundance of bad foods in the supermarkets. The proposed diet by the mass media are normally snake oil fads and are associated at commercial operations that try to sell costly items and promising easy solutions to weight problems.

I was obese, I've had bad triglicerids and cholesterol levels, and familiarity on this. My GP never warned me of the risks to getting diabetes having a metabolic syndrome, and that metabolic syndrome is not a thing you control only with a pill.
I was at risk - I found reading after the diagnosis - the professional that should have warned me never did. Actually he minimized the fact the blood exams I've done when donating blood were borderline, as in (as in 99 mg/dl). Maybe sending me to the dietologist and saying clearly that I should lose weight will have helped me to delay the diabetes insurgency from metabolic syndrome.
Yes, I've changed my GP: i lost the trust on him, of course, but now my health problems are bigger...

Dear MikeTurin,
too bad that your GP wasn't more proactive, you certainly did very well to change! And sorry if I gave you the impression of trying to lecture you or of being a snappy 'know-it-all': I really didn't mean it, it's just that I'm often way too blunt when expressing my views. Especially on such a sensible area as food and diet, which for many seem to verge on a mystic faith nowadays (I'm thinking of several friends of mine who adhered to some crazy macrobiotic regime to the point of losing their teeth, can you just imagine!).
By the way, I am very interested in what you say about reading a lot on the condition and researching thoroughly into things. May I ask if you found good Italian sources on diabetes (books, magazines, websites…)? I am asking because I am currently working at a project about diabetes communication in Italy, and I'd be glad to gather some first-hand opinions. Did you find any good material among the literature written in Italian (or written in other languages by Italian authors)? I've just started looking into the matter, but there don't seem to be a lot that can compare to English-language sources, in terms of clarity, thoroughness and patient-centredness. But it may be that I haven't hit the right places yet…

MikeTurin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This is the most interesting I've found:
Diabete : guida pratica per vivere bene / Rosemary Walker, Jill Rodgers ; [traduzione di Giuliana Lomazzi]
Milano : Tecniche Nuove, c2005 (stampa 2006)
224 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 8848118054

Other titles:
Diabete : il grande libro delle ricette : [cosa mangiare e cosa cucinare in caso di diabete tipo 2! / [Fiona Hunter e Heather Whinney!
Milano : Tecniche Nuove, 2011
256 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 9788848126045
EAN: 9788848126045
Data:2011

Dieta per il diabete / Eliana Giuratrabocchetti
Milano : Red!, 2011
92 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
ISBN: 9788857303314
EAN: 9788857303314

Il diabete di tipo 2 : tutte le risposte a portata di mano / Charles Fox, Anne Kilvert ; versione italiana a cura di Edoardo Mannucci e Caterina Lamanna
Chieri (To) : Ercules, 2012
XV, 329 p. : ill. ; 21 cm
EAN: 9788884790217
Data:2012

A tavola con il diabete / Barbara Asprea, Giuseppe Capano, Simona Salò ; con l'approvazione della Fand, Associazione italiana diabetici
2. ed
Milano : Tecniche nuove, 2009
VI, 120 p. ; 21 cm.
ISBN: 9788848124508
EAN: 9788848124508
Data:2009

This one is more on good eating
La cucina del cuore : diabete e ipertensione : 120 ricette per non perdere il buon umore e il gusto della buona cucina / Roberto Ferrari, Claudia Florio
Firenze [etc.] : Giunti Demetra, 2011
239 p. : in gran parte ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 9788844038397
EAN: 9788844038397

This is way more technical, but interesting anyway:
Elementi di diabetologia per il medico di medicina generale / a cura di Sandro Girotto ... [et al.]
Torino : Edizioni Medio scientifiche, 2014
277 p. : ill. ; 19 cm
EAN: 9788871103396
Data:2014

Bic

Type of diabetes
Type 1
This is the most interesting I've found:
Diabete : guida pratica per vivere bene / Rosemary Walker, Jill Rodgers ; [traduzione di Giuliana Lomazzi]
Milano : Tecniche Nuove, c2005 (stampa 2006)
224 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 8848118054

Other titles:
Diabete : il grande libro delle ricette : [cosa mangiare e cosa cucinare in caso di diabete tipo 2! / [Fiona Hunter e Heather Whinney!
Milano : Tecniche Nuove, 2011
256 p. : ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 9788848126045
EAN: 9788848126045

Dieta per il diabete / Eliana Giuratrabocchetti
Milano : Red!, 2011
92 p. : ill. ; 21 cm.
ISBN: 9788857303314
EAN: 9788857303314

Il diabete di tipo 2 : tutte le risposte a portata di mano / Charles Fox, Anne Kilvert ; versione italiana a cura di Edoardo Mannucci e Caterina Lamanna
Chieri (To) : Ercules, 2012
XV, 329 p. : ill. ; 21 cm
EAN: 9788884790217
Data:2012

A tavola con il diabete / Barbara Asprea, Giuseppe Capano, Simona Salò ; con l'approvazione della Fand, Associazione italiana diabetici
2. ed
Milano : Tecniche nuove, 2009
Thank you very much MikeTurin, I'll go
VI, 120 p. ; 21 cm.
ISBN: 9788848124508
EAN: 9788848124508
Data:2009

This one is more on good eating
La cucina del cuore : diabete e ipertensione : 120 ricette per non perdere il buon umore e il gusto della buona cucina / Roberto Ferrari, Claudia Florio
Firenze [etc.] : Giunti Demetra, 2011
239 p. : in gran parte ill. ; 25 cm.
ISBN: 9788844038397
EAN: 9788844038397

This is way more technical, but interesting anyway:
Elementi di diabetologia per il medico di medicina generale / a cura di Sandro Girotto ... [et al.]
Torino : Edizioni Medio scientifiche, 2014
277 p. : ill. ; 19 cm
EAN: 9788871103396
Data:2014

Thank you very much, MikeTurin! I see they are mostly about T2, which is reasonably your focus; they'll be useful to help me learn something more about T2, though the focus for my project is T1 (being somewhat of a rarer condition, it is also under-represented in literature). As I expected, the title about actually living with the condition is by foreign authors. The last title you quote was highly praised by my GP, by the way (he specialized as an endo so I guess is quite reliable), who I must say is not easy to please in such matters.
See you around on the forum, then, and best wishes!