Meeting With Dsn Today

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
:arghh:Today I had my half year meeting with the DSN .... I have come away completely speechless ... It was a new nurse to me .. also I already knew my results (Thank you my diabetes my way web site in Scotland) My numbers were all in the good range apart from my weight .. but the first nurse recorded my hight wrong .. I have nowhere to loose more weight from now !!!!
So a smiley DSN .. told me the fantastic news about my levels .. so far so good ... then the bit I dread ... 'so what are you doing to reach these great numbers' I low carb high fat eat now, I reply ..... silence ... then happy nurse says .. thats great .. I am doing that to loose some weight myself !!!!!!! and then tells me that fats are not the bad guys anymore ...
I don't need to go back for a year ... happy days ...
Just wanted to say to all, that if you have difficult DSNs .. its maybe not forever... :happy:

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant! I hope you told her how fabulous she is, and compared notes on what a fantastic way of eating it is.
:D

Reactions: 2 people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I did @Brunneria ... This is a day I never thought would come, we swapped breakfast ideas .. but she is not a vegetarian !!

Reactions: 4 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Nurses need good reviews...not by name though.. But you could put on the GP website how it was good to have a nurse thats open to enquiring how patients achieve good levels etc?
I know all GO practices in England have opportunities to post reviews on them. I do for about 90% of all my hospital and GP appts.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I did @Brunneria ... This is a day I never thought would come, we swapped breakfast ideas .. but she is not a vegetarian !!

I lent one my practice ANP (who doesn't deal with diabetes) Trudi Deakin's "Eat Fat book, as she was showing a fascination, following the Rangan Chatterjee "Doctor in your house" series.

If only she and my GP (who may not realise it but is on my slowly-slowly conversion course ;) ) could convert the "Special Diabetes Doctor" I had the dubious pleasure of chatting to at the end of last year. The "chat" went on quite a long time, and sounded a bit like a stuck record.

My OH asked if me and the other caller were disagreeing or if they were somewhat dense (not his exact words, you understand) as the call seemed to be on a bit of a loop.

Great news you're continuing to do well. Back to stricter LC to trim the weight a bit perhaps?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
:arghh:Today I had my half year meeting with the DSN .... I have come away completely speechless ... It was a new nurse to me .. also I already knew my results (Thank you my diabetes my way web site in Scotland) My numbers were all in the good range apart from my weight .. but the first nurse recorded my hight wrong .. I have nowhere to loose more weight from now !!!!
So a smiley DSN .. told me the fantastic news about my levels .. so far so good ... then the bit I dread ... 'so what are you doing to reach these great numbers' I low carb high fat eat now, I reply ..... silence ... then happy nurse says .. thats great .. I am doing that to loose some weight myself !!!!!!! and then tells me that fats are not the bad guys anymore ...
I don't need to go back for a year ... happy days ...
Just wanted to say to all, that if you have difficult DSNs .. its maybe not forever... :happy:
Hallelujah !

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for reporting back on this for us @Enclave. It is good to know that there are some people who are big enough to acknowledge there are other options besides the Eatwell Plate - even if they are required to follow the standard mantra most of the time.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for reporting back on this for us @Enclave. It is good to know that there are some people who are big enough to acknowledge there are other options besides the Eatwell Plate - even if they are required to follow the standard mantra most of the time.
Thank you .. There was no mention of the eat well plate .. we just swapped notes on LCHF .. She was new to it and was really interested on how the way of eating works for diabetics :)

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you .. There was no mention of the eat well plate .. we just swapped notes on LCHF .. She was new to it and was really interested on how the way of eating works for diabetics :)

That's great; Reading the posts on here, it seems that not many people get the chance to pass on the 'good word' to HCPs. Let's hope she is able to maintain her enquiring mind into the future as she learns more about the varieties of the condition and her job. The fact she's also following a LCHF approach should help, as she will see for herself that it can work - granted, not for everybody, but for many people.

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think if its LCHF just for weight loss, it must be harder to stick with .. but for a T2 like me, where you can see the results with the bs meter ... its a lot easer :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news you're continuing to do well. Back to stricter LC to trim the weight a bit perhaps?
I have no more weight to loose ... the first DSN booked my hight a full 6" shorter than I am ... I am 6ft and she put me in at 5ft 6in ... I don't seem to be able to correct her mistake, more do others in the Dr's .. Its quite funny at times when my notes are looked at & the DSN says .. well you look taller !!!!!!

Edit to add ... on the scales in the chemist my weight is perfect .. for my hight .. its the same weight as the DSN makes me .. just the hight is different LOL