Newly Diagnosed T2

Feldy_B

Hi everyone,

I will come back and introduce myself properly a little later.

My immediate question is about what I have been told by my Doctor/Diabetic Nurse to do with the quantity of carbs I should have with each meal.

A third of my plate should be carbs.

Does that seem like a lot?

I wouldn't normally eat that amount of pure carbs unless I had an actual pasta dish/meal.

Or do they mean carbs as you would get from all foods be it yoghurt, fruit, veg and salad? Though they did say another third should be veg, so... well it kind of gets a little confusing. Sorry if I sound silly!

I hope I haven't put this in the wrong thread, and am grateful for any help, advice or comments.

Thank you,

B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's old, bad and if you are diabetic possibly dangerous advice. It all comes from the N.I.C.E. recommendations where it says that diabetics should be encouraged to eat the same as the main population. If you follow that advice your diabetes could worsen. Cut out the carbs as much as possible.

Reactions: 4 people

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hi @Feldy_B and welcome to the forum. Your GP and DN are referring to the 'Eatwell Plate' which is recommended by NHS Guidelines, which says a meal should consist of one portion of protein (meat/fish), one portion of starchy carbs (potato/rice/pasta/bread) and one portion of vegetables. The portions should be no larger than the size of your fist.
The problem is that the starchy carbs are going to turn into glucose (sugars) in your body which aren't good for diabetics. So it becomes inevitable for a lot of diabetics who follow this advice to get worse. And the NHS will say that diabetes is a progressive disease and diabetics will inevitably get worse, needing more and more medication, then insulin injections and suffering complications.

A lot of us T2s on this forum have found that we can reduce our blood sugar levels and control and reverse our condition by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating. Have a read round the threads and ask any questions you want to.

Reactions: 8 people

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am not sure how much carbs they recommend as my nurse has never told me to eat like that but I do know that the starchy carbs like anything with sugar, bread, pasta, rice, and potatoes are the worse for raising blood sugar so some people here stop eating them altogether. I have never eaten rice or pasta don't like them but I do still eat smaller portions of bread and potatoes but not every day and of course no sugar stuff I am more moderate carbs and lower saturated fat as I don't eat red meat sausages or bacon but some others here do very low carb and high fat it all depends on what suits us personally

Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @Feldy_B

A lot of us T2s on this forum have found that we can reduce our blood sugar levels and control and reverse our condition by adopting a Low Carbohydrate High Fat approach to eating. Have a read round the threads and ask any questions you want to.

I actually got to see a dietician at the local hospital recently as part of investigations into high cholesterol. Most of us know the kind of thing: "You can eat porridge". "We recommend carbohydrates with every meal". I of course pointed out that I am obviously carbohydrate intolerant. Also gave me a book which I just got around to glancing through. It tells me to eat all the things I know I can't eat and reads like some kind of fairy tale.

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
@Feldy_B

Hello and welcome to the forum :) Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. It will help you with eating low carb and gives you a link to the Low Carb Program which you can try. Ask as many questions as you need to and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 210,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Reactions: 4 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
You have been given stupid and potentially dangerous advice by the health 'experts'. Carbs are a big problem for us and must be kept under control. The latest version of the 'Eatwell Plate' is called 'Eatwell Guide' and was approved and signed off by a large majority of food industry people at the meeting so has little relevant to good health. You need to buy a glucose meter and set yourself a daily carb limit. Mine is around 150gm/day but many on this forum stay below 50gm/day. Use the meter to find what level suits you and this will be affected by any diabetes medication you may be prescribed. The carbs total should include any in root veg, fruit etc. Whilst reducing carbs try to keep your fibre intake reasonable.

Beach Hut

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
That's exactly what I was advised by the 'diabetic 'practice nurse saying eat normal foods in these portions she showed me the eat well plate...since reading various articles/forum advice over the last week (diagnosed 1week ago) I decided to go low carb and test pre and 2 hours post meals so I could see which foods increased my BG...seems to be working slowly-my bloods are were very high 15-22 but now 9-18 still high but at least going in the right direction

PenfoldAPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I've had a lot of success by following a low carb diet (I know it doesn't work for everyone). If I eat lots of carbs I get high blood levels (9.0+), if I don't I can stay around 5-7.

I found Diet Doctor www.DietDoctor.com just after diagnosis and it really helped me.

I ignore the Eatwell plate ;) I know I'm eating well, don't need to follow outdated advice.

Good luck.

KevinPotts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unkind people, failure to take personal responsibility.
I'd follow PenfoldAPD's sound advice. And as he says whilst it might not be as dramatic for everyone, it turned my life around and put my T2 into "remission" in 3 months.

Give it a go and see if it works for you:)