SSRIs causing hyperglycemia?

MichealSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, Imperialist war, vegetables
Anyone with experience of depression and found SSRIs causing hyperglycemia? I'm having a nightmare here!

Attachments

• 1484960734287.jpg
    1484960734287.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 1484960746077.jpg
    1484960746077.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 182

Maggie/Magpie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Butternut Squash, Cabbage and confrontation.
Hi there Michael,
I'm type 2 and depressive, taking Duloxetine.
I've had no problems re high blood sugars from my anti-depressants, problems have materialized more from what I'm eating. May I ask; what makes you think it's your anti-depressants? Also what type of diet are you following?
Maggie

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @MichealSmith , I have had problems with blood sugars from my antidepressants, but I notice that your highs are preceded by lows, which would perhaps suggest to me you are rebounding from the hypos? How do you treat your hypos? Is it possible that you could be over-treating them? Or, particularly where the hypos are rather prolonged, it could be the product of a glucose dump from the liver, perhaps? Have you looked at the list of ingredients on your SSRIs? Sorry for asking so many questions!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Does look like over treating hypos.

Many drugs can cause many reactions. Some listed, some not. My cancer tablet caused me to need extra insulin. Now, whether it's coming off the tablet or the cinnamon I take each day with turmeric and ginger and pepper. I'm not quite sure which has been the most significant factor but I know for a fact that higher bloods for a T1 wasn't listed..

You need to address the hypo's and then address the hypers though. Start at the basics of the elimination process..

MichealSmith

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bigotry, Imperialist war, vegetables
Hi all, sorry for going missing when you had so kindly replied! Turns out the very erratic BG profiles was from me trying my cannula in my thigh on the advice of another "pump jockey" on Twitter! It messed up my insulin dispersal as it's one of the few places on my person with little fat.

D'oh!

I am dropping off escitalopram from 15mg daily and am down to 5mg now. It is messing with me in terms of my ability/inclination to get exercise and my basal profile needs adjusting.

Thanks for your concern and suggestions. Once more, I'm floored by the solidarity and cameraderie of the diabetes online community :)

M
@donnellysdogs @Maggie/Magpie @EllsKBells @alhubb

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Glad you getting sorted!!

I forgot that sites act differently.. really should have thought to mention that.

Cutting down the citilopram will affect brains reactions... otherwuse there would have been no point taking it-lol... but dont rush the dropping down and getting off... it takes 6 weeks to get levelled when starting it so every reduction is going to take time to settle too....

Glad you got the cause..