Newly diagnosed competitive swimmer

Calhay2010

Hi my 12 year old son was diagnosed with t1 on 5th Feb (a day we will never forget!). He as been swimming competitively since he was 9 years old and does approx 6 hours training over 3 nights a week plus galas and meets at the weekend. His consultant says there is no reason for him not to continue. The problem is that we have not been able to do more than one hour training before he as a hypo and as had to get out of the pool. He had a slice of toast tonight before he swam but had to get out after 1 hour as his count was 3.8. (Although he didn't feel wobbly like he normally does) Has anyone got any tips for getting through the training sessions. He as his first gala next weekend since diagnosis and I'm worried we won't get thro it

Catherine4188

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello, I used to be a competitive swimmer and swam with 2 people who were diabetic. They used to have a mars bar half way through or even every 45 minutes in a long session. You should also try the training powder drinks as they will replace some lost sugars as he drinks throughout training so the loss isn't too drastic.

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Calhay2010 I'm most definitely not a competitive swimmer, but I do swim regularly. I find a chocolate bar is a good snack beforehand. I also top up with glucose tablets if necessary during my swim. If I'm swimming after a meal, I reduce my bolus for that meal.

It's very early days. I'm sure your son will be able to continue swimming just fine once he gets sorted. It will take some experimenting to find what works for him, but you will find something :)