My right side is really aching.

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Ok so... as you all know last week I went doctors and discovered I had a SLIGHT kidney infection. They gave me three days worth of antibiotics, which didn't help. So on Saturday I had to go hospital and get more. The sickness is slowly going, but my right side feels like it's getting worse :( he put me on a seven day course, which ends on Saturday. What's going on? It's feeling so achy today and last night :( but the sickness is going

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Oh that's just rotten - the fact you've had this repeatedly would say to me that they need to have been a little more forthcoming with antibiotics - speaking as one who lost three months of work/life myself, plus a load of weight, last summer due to delays in treatment for kidney infection.

Sending hugs!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok so... as you all know last week I went doctors and discovered I had a SLIGHT kidney infection. They gave me three days worth of antibiotics, which didn't help. So on Saturday I had to go hospital and get more. The sickness is slowly going, but my right side feels like it's getting worse :( he put me on a seven day course, which ends on Saturday. What's going on? It's feeling so achy today and last night :( but the sickness is going

@Chloesnavy - Have you had a sample sent to the lab for analysis to ensure you are on the most appropriate antibiotics? Initially the Doc usually just does a dip test, then prescribes a general antibiotic know to be good for UTIs. Where there are recurrences, a sample should be sent to ascertain exactly which bugs are in there.

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Chloesnavy when you say your right side, do you mean the kidney area? I think it might be worth going back to the doctors, as you can't be too careful.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Oh that's just rotten - the fact you've had this repeatedly would say to me that they need to have been a little more forthcoming with antibiotics - speaking as one who lost three months of work/life myself, plus a load of weight, last summer due to delays in treatment for kidney infection.

Sending hugs!

I know it's so annoying. I feel better in myself, but my side feels like it's getting worse :( thank you!

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Chloesnavy - Have you had a sample sent to the lab for analysis to ensure you are on the most appropriate antibiotics? Initially the Doc usually just does a dip test, then prescribes a general antibiotic know to be good for UTIs. Where there are recurrences, a sample should be sent to ascertain exactly which bugs are in there.

Yes but haven't had any letter yet ;/ I feel better in myself but my side didn't hurt this much last week. I'll go doctors tomorrow again thank you

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
@Chloesnavy when you say your right side, do you mean the kidney area? I think it might be worth going back to the doctors, as you can't be too careful.

Hope you feel better soon :)

Yeah :( I've always suffered with kidney infections. The sickness has gone, but my side doesn't feel any better, if not worse! I'll go doctors tomorrow. Thank you!
People must be sick of me posting on here always ill hahaha

Chloesnavy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why wait until tomorrow, if its really bad @Chloesnavy ring your Dr's today and ask for advice.

I wouldn't say it's really bad, I'm not in excruciating pain. It just hurts a lot more than it did last week. It feels achy, not painful. I'll take two more antibiotics today and if it's still like this tomorrow I'll go doctors. My doctors are kinda **** anyway and they'd just tell me to come in tomorrow

EllsKBells

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would agree with @noblehead . Ring, if the receptionist won't give you an appointment ask to be triaged by the nurse, tell them that you are type 1 diabetic with recurrent kidney infection and you have kidney pain. If not, do you have a walk in centre or Minor Injuries Unit near you? Kidneys are important, and it isn't right that you have had so much trouble with them. Alternatively, at least ring 111 (I think you are in the UK).

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My 'infection ' treated with antibiotics was actually kidney stones. Antibiotics sis nothing. You may need an ultra sound

JimH

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My 'infection ' treated with antibiotics was actually kidney stones. Antibiotics sis nothing. You may need an ultra sound

Same here. 15 months of constantly reoccurring S. aureus infection and varying degrees of right sided flank pain was eventually discovered to be an 8 mm kidney stone, but they couldn't see it on the ultra sound scan for me.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here. 15 months of constantly reoccurring S. aureus infection and varying degrees of right sided flank pain was eventually discovered to be an 8 mm kidney stone, but they couldn't see it on the ultra sound scan for me.
My bacteria was proteus mirabelous. Not sure of the size but they said two huge ones sitting on top of each other blocking drainage. It was one month on antibiotics for nothing!!! Luckily I didn't have to pass them, they blew them up!! Yay.
This is one reason I keep protein intake at .8g per kg lean body mass. No spinach for me or other dark leafy greens other than some kale here and there ( low oxalate). Nuts and seems very limited. Lots of lemon water. I don't want any more but have read 80% of people who have them get them again. Knock on wood I want to be in the 20%

S

serenity648

My bacteria was proteus mirabelous. Not sure of the size but they said two huge ones sitting on top of each other blocking drainage. It was one month on antibiotics for nothing!!! Luckily I didn't have to pass them, they blew them up!! Yay.
This is one reason I keep protein intake at .8g per kg lean body mass. No spinach for me or other dark leafy greens other than some kale here and there ( low oxalate). Nuts and seems very limited. Lots of lemon water. I don't want any more but have read 80% of people who have them get them again. Knock on wood I want to be in the 20%

Ah, found the other thread. My kidney stone was 11mm, and i had to have it removed as it ended up blocking my ureter, right above my bladder.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Ah, found the other thread. My kidney stone was 11mm, and i had to have it removed as it ended up blocking my ureter, right above my bladder.
Mine too!! Not sure how big. I think 11 mm too! One on top of the other.

milesrf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
spammers, off topic posters, side effects of a stroke
I think that the first of the around a dozen I had was about 9 mm. Some types respond to a diet change to make them less likely; mine called for a low calcium diet.