New to Novorapid

JoJo_MoJo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A couple of quick questions if anyone can help. It may be that I just need to experiment and see. I've been told to inject 1 unit novorapid for each 10g of carbs but what if I have a protein only meal like a cheese omelette? Also if I am planning to exercise after my meal how much do I need to adjust my dose to ensure I don't end up having a hypo. Like I said it may be a case of trial and error but some advice would be appreciated. Thanks

GrantGam

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of quick questions if anyone can help. It may be that I just need to experiment and see. I've been told to inject 1 unit novorapid for each 10g of carbs but what if I have a protein only meal like a cheese omelette? Also if I am planning to exercise after my meal how much do I need to adjust my dose to ensure I don't end up having a hypo. Like I said it may be a case of trial and error but some advice would be appreciated. Thanks
The unfortunate truth is that it is all trial and error really...

As for the protein, some diabetics require insulin for protein - but normally only if they eat it without any carbohydrates. You can always try having the omelette without any insulin and seeing where your BG is two hours after the meal.

As for the exercise, testing regularly during the activity will show you if your BG is trending downwards or staying steady. It's also advised not to exercise too soon after a meal. This is because the insulin you've injected can work all that harder because of the exercise and cause hypos.