stir fry sauces

centaur68

Type of diabetes
Type 2
trying to follow low carb diet, seen that stir fry are good, lots of veg etc, what sauces do people use? most I've seen have high sugars
thanks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I like Blue Dragon oyster and spring onion which has high sugars at 24g per 100g. I never use more than half a 120g sachet and quite a lot of that stays in the wok.

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @centaur68 . Love stir fry but don't use any sauces only Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce which comes in nominal carbs ( 1.1 g per 5 ml teaspoon).
Just an option if you want to give it a go.

Reactions: ringi

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I often use a little five spice powder so you may want to omit that ttps://www.eatthismuch.com/food/view/five-spice-powder,509622/ http://www.schwartz.co.uk/products/seasonings-and-blends/world-flavours/chinese-5-spice
fry it with garlic, ginger and chilli for a few seconds. Per the recipe you add the raw meat at this stage but I always use cooked chicken or pork. In pre diabetes days I added the spices to caramalised onion and garlic. Then added stock in which I would put spaghetti (I do not eat that now) and put the majority of the veg in the steamer above but you are obviously an afficinado of stir fries so you will have your own preferred way of cooking that. Serve with soy sauce.

I probably started doing mine wth the steamer because large Woks are not the best fun.

Reactions: ringi

db89

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @centaur68 . Love stir fry but don't use any sauces only Lea and Perrins Worcester sauce which comes in nominal carbs ( 1.1 g per 5 ml teaspoon).
Just an option if you want to give it a go.

This or dark soy sauce which has around the same carb content (brand dependent - always check! :)) are what I use if I want to keep it lower carbs.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I often make stir fries using various sauces I have mushrooms and courgette fried in butter as my "base" .My husband has noodles or rice I stirfry all my veg and meat or prawns and then take about half of my portion out and add the sauce then when heated through I serve up my other half of the veg etc and my husband has the rest .Test and see how your BG levels are after eating is always the best way after eating any new food
CAROL

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
trying to follow low carb diet, seen that stir fry are good, lots of veg etc, what sauces do people use? most I've seen have high sugars
thanks

I love stir fry, (having it tonight) and I use Soy sauce and a dash of rice vinegar, tastes delicious my teenager loves it too.

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I never did use those sachets - I just cook with chilli and garlic oil and squeeze over the juice of a lemon or lime with lots of fresh chopped herbs or lemon grass and sometimes some fish sauce.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
I also try and avoid the sachets, I just mix mine with oil, garlic, chilli and soy sauce, all the sachets are loaded with sugar..

Jo123

Another one using just soy sauce, I always did find those sachets too sweet.
Plenty of chilli and garlic too to give it a kick, not sure how authentic it is but it tastes good.

Reactions: Rustytypin
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you want a bit of sweetness in your stir fry (after all, most Chinese food is quite sweet), try adding a small amount of sugar free Ribena or Tescos double concentrated Lime squash to the food. Being fruity, it gives it a nice taste. I also add one of these to my curries.

Rustytypin

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I make my own marinade for stir fries from soy sauce, wine vinegar, toasted sesame oil and home made nut butter. Just beware of Soy sauce - the one I was using (Blue Dragon) is about 23% carbs. I now use Kikkoman Soy at about 4% carbs. I have found that these days I don't seem to need sweetness in cooking.

Reactions: Serena51 and Jo123

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
If you want a bit of sweetness in your stir fry (after all, most Chinese food is quite sweet), try adding a small amount of sugar free Ribena or Tescos double concentrated Lime squash to the food. Being fruity, it gives it a nice taste. I also add one of these to my curries.

What an excellent idea!!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn't know that stir fry needed sauce - I suspect that it is just another way for supermarkets to sell sugary flavoured processed foods to increase their profits.

keitjones

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Salt free soy sauce and Chinese 5 spices. All shop stir fry sauces are loaded with sugar.

Survivor53

Type of diabetes
Type 2
thanks

I don't use bought sauces but make my own using a little soy, splash of fish sauce, a small teaspoon of chilli paste mixed in water and a small dash of vinegar. Lovely and healthy...

Reactions: Serena51

Mark_1

Tesco Chinese stir fry sauce in the fridge part of the stir fry deal is less than 10g of carbs per 100g about 8g for half the packet

chalup

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I saute garlic and ginger in the oil before adding the meat and veggies then add gluten free soy sauce. You can use a pinch of xanthan gum to thicken it a bit.

Reactions: Jo123 and Serena51
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am probably posting this in the wrong place, but having used sugar free Ribena in cooking since my husband became diabetic, it suddenly occurred to me this morning to try cooking some of the gooseberries out of the garden in sugar free Ribena. Great result! It tasted delicious! That's another flavour he can have back in his life.

Reactions: Serena51