Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
Not ideal for diabetes

Probably not ideal for T2s once their metabolisms are compromised. But if there's less obesity I'd argue that less people are becoming T2 in the first place.....

Not entering the argument as to whether obesity is a cause or result of T2, though I tend to believe the latter.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dan's still desperately trying to keep his blue zones schtick relevant even after they have been shown wanting so many times...

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Interesting that he claims that "According to the online True Vitality Test that calculates your life expectancy and was created in collaboration with the University of Minnesota, participants added an average of 15 months to their life expectancy as a result of the changes they made". Fortune telling by numbers. I suspect a fixed test plan myself.

No doubt someone will present us this as evidence based proof of the diet whereas it is clearly just a blog spiel. I have heard of some mediteranean diets having beneficial longevity, and also the Okinawans are known to be long lived, but Loma Lindy? That has no reputation for longevity as far as I am aware. What about Boston, the birthplace of WFPB? Surely they should be exhibiting special longevity statistics by now? But the Harvard Nurses study is not showing any abnormal extension to life in that area.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It is another plant based (i.e vegan) thing originating in the Garden of Eden diet and largely b ased on epdimiology. The Sardinians and Okinawans do eat meart (goat and pork) respectively and the 7th Day Adventists in Loma Linda do plenty of stuff that is conducive to good health (abstain from drink, smoking, having faith and exercising).
What they do have in common with ancestral eating/low carb/high fat and paleo is an emphasis on non processed foods and hardly any sugar!
There is plenty to agree on in this respect and many of us don't like factory farmed meat. I just think theat the PB folk have an incorrect emphasis on blaming animal foods for disease.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So many factors in play...

Social support, food availability, pollution, stress, car useage, exercise, climate/altitude, availability of processed foods and sugar, alcohol, smoking, toxins, fertilisers, GM foods, sugar, carb intake, genetics, personal health history...

far more complex than the article makes it appear.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So many factors in play...

Social support, food availability, pollution, stress, car useage, exercise, climate/altitude, availability of processed foods and sugar, alcohol, smoking, toxins, fertilisers, GM foods, sugar, carb intake, genetics, personal health history...

far more complex than the article makes it appear.
It also doesn't take into account the number of proverbial Number 7 buses !!!!
Sorry :angelic: Carol

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, it’s great for my diabetes (and cholesterol, etc.). Can’t speak for yours.

The recipes look awesome, can’t wait to get cooking.
As usual with CNN there is a hard sell attached. His recipe book to which I think you are referencing here is quite expensive. This article is a sales pitch without proper evaluation of facts. It actually tells us nothing apart from the magic mantra of Plant Based. Animals eat plants, so yes, ALL food is plant based. All Co2 and methane emissions are caused by the burning or decomposition of plant materials, so in effect, global warming too is Plant Based.

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As usual with CNN there is a hard sell attached. His recipe book to which I think you are referencing here is quite expensive. This article is a sales pitch without proper evaluation of facts. It actually tells us nothing apart from the magic mantra of Plant Based. Animals eat plants, so yes, ALL food is plant based. All Co2 and methane emissions are caused by the burning or decomposition of plant materials, so in effect, global warming too is Plant Based.

Expensive is a relative term. I received the book last night. Again, looks awesome.

I don’t agree with anything else you said, so not much to discuss.

Last edited:

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Some may find this twitter thread interesting..

https://twitter.com/B33Mello/status/1201877839315910656
Indeed. Nice to see the esteemed Low Carb royalty sharing this space. Yes, others have also pointed out that the okinawans do not follow a vegan diet as a whole. It is more akin to the Mediterranean Diet or Pioppi Diets that the NHS also found to be beneficial for diabetes control. I read the OP article mentioning the mediterranean area in a few places, and it seemed to hang the WFPB hat on the coatpegs there too - I wonder how valid his research was. I suspect he may have been visiting closed communities like the Loma Lindy one.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry, but I will have to disagree with you there, as this is not in a type 2 section, I could eat some of the food items if I wanted to.

As indeed could any T2's who so desired.. like with you there might be a price to pay though...