Diabetics R Us

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dienstbode: Not an occupation that still goes by that name. It's like the maid, including opening the door and passing along messages, like a butler. Often work for young females before they were married, but it was not solely a profession for women. In male diensbodes work may have included caring for the horses as well.

In England many girls in their young teenage years were sent off to work as servants. It was known as "being in service". It happened in most working class households in Victorian times. It helped with the family income and also helped reduce the household overcrowding. They were maids, general domestics, cooks etc. and lived in with the family they worked for. Young men were often sent to farms as farm servants. My great grandmother was in service. She was a live-in maid for a vicar and his family.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Where are my guinea pigs? I had only 2 left after last summers tragedies with the foster dog plus 2 cases of old age, but they have disappeared. Yesterday they were in their pen with the 2 rabbits and today nothing, except the rabbits who acted completely normal.
I really can't think of a logical explanation. The adult cats haven't ever been interested in catching the guinea pigs, even when visiting their pen, and it is impossible for 2 kittens to eat 2 guinea pigs without leftovers.
These 2 were the most boring guinea pigs I've ever had, they have never ventured outside the small indoors part of their pen (which obviously saved them from foster dog), so even if the fence around the big pen has a hole somewhere they wouldn't have escaped. And the rabbits were still in there.
Fox or weasel would have killed the rabbits too, and most likely the chickens and rabbits in the other pen as well.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Could a human have stolen them?
I'm sorry for your loss.

I have been reading more about Pluk van de Petteflet this morning.

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been "studying" Dutch with an app called Duolingo. So far I have learned how to write "The man is not a child" and "The girl is not a boy." I am glad that the spoken sentences can be played at two speeds since it seems like the older I get the harder it is for me to hear another language as well as I could at college.

What is funny is that Duolingo is also sending me e-mails with a link to their German lessons. I took the placement test for people who have already learned "some" German, and enjoyed discovering that I remember quite a bit. One sentence I did get wrong was about something that was made of concrete -- for some reason we never covered concrete (no pun!) in German class. Surely they should have figured alumni/ae would one day want to build a birdbath or endow the university with a new science wing!?

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
So far I have learned how to write "The man is not a child" and "The girl is not a boy."
I would say the truth of those lines depends very much on the man and child they are talking about here... No problem being able to write those lines though :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I have been "studying" Dutch with an app called Duolingo.
If you need a good laugh about learning Dutch, check out the video's called 'Only Dutch people ... ' by Bart de Pau. At the least you'll feel like you're not alone in your struggles!

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you need a good laugh about learning Dutch, check out the video's called 'Only Dutch people ... ' by Bart de Pau. At the least you'll feel like you're not alone in your struggles!

Thanks. I will check it out. :)

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks. I will check it out. :)
I've just watched the video I linked to, which was simply the first video turning up in my search to post a link and I have tears rolling down my face from laughter now! I swear this is all from a childrens program aimed at 3 - 10 year olds, very popular in the early 80's when I had exactly the right age.

Reactions: SaskiaKC

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Antje77 I just went to my local bookstore's website and searched Dutch. The first result that popped up was Dutch Sheets.
I thought, Dutch sheets? What are Dutch sheets? Are they different from, say, American sheets? I have had Egyptian Cotton sheets, and I may have slept on Irish Linen sheets, but what are Dutch sheets like?
Then I thought of ropes on ships. Maybe Dutch Sheets are ropes on Dutch ships?
So I clicked on the Dutch Sheets link.
Oh! I thought. OK. Dutch Sheets is a person. The author of some books.
I never would have guessed. :D

SaskiaKC

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hmm ... there was a great children's program on TV when I was little, called Captain Kangaroo. His sidekicks were Bunny Rabbit, Mr Moose, and Dancing Bear -- but none of them ever knitted any goats.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh my. I have no way to know if this is accurate but I do know that I had even less of a clue than I thought. All those English languages are just one big language to me, not a chance I can remember what belongs to what country. And there are a lot more English speaking countries too, with undoubtedly their own variations...
https://thelanguagenerds.com/major-...FM29Pg8AoYmP96FQJagGDvBe7pHp7tPabqaYZAHLnDLSM
That link is very interesting- I'm an Aussie (Australian) we use the English mostly although some of the American is creeping in and of course we have our own- I like looking at these differences. Thanks

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
There are within the UK several distinct dialects when my father was speaking in his heaviest Northumbrian accent I could barely understand him.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When we were first married my husband was in the navy and we had digs in the North of Scotland ,an English speaking country but the man of the house a fisherman had an accent so broad that I just had to say yes or no and hope that I got it right ;)
Carol​