Use of CGM in Non Diabetics

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I've just read that one as I have recently started on a libre. My graphs roughly match his and are actually better! It makes me realise that even non diabetics have levels that go up and down way beyond this 'magic' 7.8 number that people go on about, 'go above that and you'll lose a toe' etc. That mantra can really make people feel stressed when it is actually impossible to stay under that 7.8 all the time. Fascinating stuff I reckon & thanks to @Listlad for posting.
Apparently 88% of Americans have poor glycemic response, with circa 50% of the adult population either Type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic. This I would argue is similar for all countries that track diabesity at a similar level to the US. I know for sure, just people watching in the UK, the proportion of adults I see carrying excess belly fat is significant, which is one of the pillars of metabolic syndrome. It would come as no surprise to me that non-diagnosed members of the general public spike everyday. I network with a 17 year old amateur boxer who has a visceral score of 6, basically the same as me, and 3 times my daughter of the same age - he looks the picture of health with a build similar to Tom Daley.

Who ever comes up with an affordable insulin tester is gonna be rich, as I believe that Kraft is right about diabetes in situ.

lindisfel

Expert
What would be interesting would be a comparison between their (the constant blood glucose measuring group) area under graph or average blood glucose, to see how it correlated with their hba1c from glycated blood!
[Mind you on seconds thoughts there is probably not a lot to be gained by comparing two inaccurate methods of measuring long term blood glucose!]

This comparison done in a number of patients may give some indication how accurate or inaccurate hba1c is?
D.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Apparently 88% of Americans have poor glycemic response, with circa 50% of the adult population either Type 2 diabetic or pre-diabetic. This I would argue is similar for all countries that track diabesity at a similar level to the US. I know for sure, just people watching in the UK, the proportion of adults I see carrying excess belly fat is significant, which is one of the pillars of metabolic syndrome. It would come as no surprise to me that non-diagnosed members of the general public spike everyday. I network with a 17 year old amateur boxer who has a visceral score of 6, basically the same as me, and 3 times my daughter of the same age - he looks the picture of health with a build similar to Tom Daley.

Who ever comes up with an affordable insulin tester is gonna be rich, as I believe that Kraft is right about diabetes in situ.

Yes, interesting stuff that's for sure. The GP subject of the libre test was a super fit marathon runner etc, and he was deliberately eating higher carb foods for the experiment, even his rose up into the 12s after certain food. I sometimes think that it is not so much that an individual should be labelled 'diabetic' because their numbers are higher than 'average', but more that EVERY individual has a threshold beyond which they may be suffering from compromised glucose/insulin system.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
? really?

Hi BB,

The nature of exogenous insulin unfortunatly isn't the "be all & end all" on a "road test" as it suggests on paper.
Hoping to change my basal from Lantus soon to Tresiba.
However, even fasting. (I can fast for 12 hours prior to a gig..) Sometimes these levels can get erratic either way?

I aim to stay in healthy range. But sometimes there needs to be a correction with fast acting to do so.

Sometimes it's just down to metabolism & or a dodgy batch of "slin" off the production line..?

DenverGarth

BANNED
I've just read that one as I have recently started on a libre. My graphs roughly match his and are actually better! It makes me realise that even non diabetics have levels that go up and down way beyond this 'magic' 7.8 number that people go on about, 'go above that and you'll lose a toe' etc. That mantra can really make people feel stressed when it is actually impossible to stay under that 7.8 all the time. Fascinating stuff I reckon & thanks to @Listlad for posting.
If he were here I am sure he would appreciate that.

Reactions: KK123

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I believe Google & Apple are close to adding their version of a CGM to their lifestyle wearables.
The Google one uses a type of contact lens which senses glucose in your eye.
Once these become mainstream it will bring a huge awakening to the high cab diet we've been eating all these years.
Mightn't be a time to buy shares in Nestle.

I read about this year's ago & like the concept of having eyes like Marilyn Manson. :cool:

However. It looks like they called a halt to this venture a couple of years ago..
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-46262520

DenverGarth

BANNED
What would be interesting would be a comparison between their (the constant blood glucose measuring group) area under graph or average blood glucose, to see how it correlated with their hba1c from glycated blood!

This comparison done in a number of patients may give some indication how accurate or inaccurate hba1c is?
D.
The area under the curve is important. Agreed.

DenverGarth

BANNED
I believe Google & Apple are close to adding their version of a CGM to their lifestyle wearables.
The Google one uses a type of contact lens which senses glucose in your eye.
Once these become mainstream it will bring a huge awakening to the high cab diet we've been eating all these years.
Mightn't be a time to buy shares in Nestle.
I recall a thread on that sort of thing. The future is here.