Anyone got diabetic retinopathy

daffy1

Dislikes
garlic, pubs
I’ve been T2 diabetic for roughly 12 years. Slightly uncontrolled for 10 years as I didn’t realise how serious diabetes really was. I changed everything a couple of years ago when I was told I needed to start insulin alongside my other meds. However just before Christmas I went for my routine eye screening and got the surprising result that I had retinopathy. At the moment tho they don’t feel it needs any action which I’m relieved about and don’t seem to have any problems with my vision apart from floaters . In fact I can see better without my glasses, apart from close up.
Could a really strict diet reverse this or is it bound to progress cos I’ve read about the treatment and it sounds scary

IanBish

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't have any experience of retinopathy, but a few people here (I forget who) have said that it improved greatly when they reduced their HbA1c.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had my results last week that showed retinopathy, reducing HbA1c as IanBish said does improve/delay permanent damage...

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I had “some degree” of retinopathy 18 months ago, but my latest review in September 2023 showed no retinopathy.

GuidingSenses

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
My result last year was that I had some degree of retinopathy in left eye which is obviously scary and I do remember slight pain in my eye when my eye moved left to right. However today’s result showed no signs of retinopathy- amazed- no pain now but didn’t realise it could rectify itself?

Reactions: filly

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My result last year was that I had some degree of retinopathy in left eye which is obviously scary and I do remember slight pain in my eye when my eye moved left to right. However today’s result showed no signs of retinopathy- amazed- no pain now but didn’t realise it could rectify itself?
That's great news. My worry is, I was told with my readings (from hypos to hypers), even with H1bac 7.2, that I could lose my sight in a few years.
My levels of extremes are due to having diabetic antibodies (attacks the insulin injected). I inject 5 to 8 times a day!

Perhaps a pump may help but a fight to get one, post code lottery...

Grant_Vicat

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Intolerance, selfishness, rice pudding
I’ve been T2 diabetic for roughly 12 years. Slightly uncontrolled for 10 years as I didn’t realise how serious diabetes really was. I changed everything a couple of years ago when I was told I needed to start insulin alongside my other meds. However just before Christmas I went for my routine eye screening and got the surprising result that I had retinopathy. At the moment tho they don’t feel it needs any action which I’m relieved about and don’t seem to have any problems with my vision apart from floaters . In fact I can see better without my glasses, apart from close up.
Could a really strict diet reverse this or is it bound to progress cos I’ve read about the treatment and it sounds scary
I was Type1 from 1959-2013 (pancreas/kidney transplant) I had never had a proper eye inspection until 1978, my vision in 1971 became blurry on several occasions, causing me to go to a standard optician, who could find nothing wrong. It would then correct itself (I found out later that this was due to better blood sugar results). From 1979-1983 I had a total of 7 laser treatments in both eyes. I am still reading, typing (!) and driving all these years later. Good average control has certainly played a part. But like all diabetics, you cannot avoid the blips which come with infection or serious stress. Good luck!

HairySmurf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm confused on this one too. As I thought I understood it (and I clearly don't) the scan works in two ways. The first way is it can detect recent micro bleeds on the retina, think of them like miniscule scabs that mark where a tiny blood vessel has bled. The second is by comparing the scan with a previous scan it can detect changes. I had thought that the damage was permanent though once it happens. There are treatments but no cure.

So when they say no retinopathy detected, do they mean no new eye damage or no damage at all?

I have my own scan coming up soon and I'm a bit nervous. I've been having some odd visual disturbances lately and while Google says they're probably just related to my age, the nervousness is hard to dispel.

aylalake

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Being told “Oh go on, one won’t hurt you!”.
Conversely, the food police.
I'm confused on this one too. As I thought I understood it (and I clearly don't) the scan works in two ways. The first way is it can detect recent micro bleeds on the retina, think of them like miniscule scabs that mark where a tiny blood vessel has bled. The second is by comparing the scan with a previous scan it can detect changes. I had thought that the damage was permanent though once it happens. There are treatments but no cure.

So when they say no retinopathy detected, do they mean no new eye damage or no damage at all?

I have my own scan coming up soon and I'm a bit nervous. I've been having some odd visual disturbances lately and while Google says they're probably just related to my age, the nervousness is hard to dispel.
In my case it showed no damage at all, and I asked the ophthalmologist for clarification, he said that the eyes can repair themselves (like a liver) provided the damage was not too severe or prolonged which could cause scarring.
He likened it to a scratch on your arm which scabs over while it heals, and the scab then falls off leaving no visible sign of any injury.
As opposed to the same scratch which becomes infected due to poor hygiene or care. It becomes deeper/wider and takes far longer to heal, leaving a permanent mark or scar.

M828S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi. Can anyone recommend a specific diet they used to reduce or drastically slow the progression of retinopathy? I was diagnosed today and I’m scared. Thanks.

JohnJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have any experience of retinopathy, but a few people here (I forget who) have said that it improved greatly when they reduced their HbA1c.
I have the same but IanBish is correct. They are trying to reword results from a retinopathy scan as the letter can be scary!

Jasmin2000

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Indeed, microbleeds come from microaneurisms (swollen and leaky blood vessels) which grow in the eye where they shouldn't (neovascularization). Hence the bleeds will be cleared away, but the new blood vessels will keep leaking and need to be stopped. Bad BG control contributes to this but can be reversed by getting better control and/or therapy such as laser treatment or anti-VEGF antibody injections.

No retinopathy means all clear as far as they can tell - good news. But beware, retinopathy refers to the retina and not the lens, and here diabetics are prone to cateracts.