Libre 2 - what did I do wrong ????

MadMat

Hi All

Despite being told by my DN that the world would end in armageddon if I tested my own blood glucose, I (T2) decided to try the free trial of a libre 2 sensor . . . .

I followed all the instructions, washed the back of my arm, let it airdry, attached the sensor with the applicator, started it up with my phone

For about three hours all was great, I sat watching my phone, and then I saw an error message "Sensor Error, try again in 10 mins" upon checking the sensor it was hanging half off my arm, and never worked again . . . .

Well at least I have 100% time in range. just glad I hadn't paid £50 for it!!

I've reported the error to Abbott who are kindly sending me a replacement to try - how do I make it last a bit longer this time ?

Mat

• Hug
Reactions: Melgar

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Just bad luck.
Like with any other product, you can encounter a bad one.

• Agree
Reactions: Melgar

ElenaP

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi All

Despite being told by my DN that the world would end in armageddon if I tested my own blood glucose, I (T2) decided to try the free trial of a libre 2 sensor . . . .

I followed all the instructions, washed the back of my arm, let it airdry, attached the sensor with the applicator, started it up with my phone

For about three hours all was great, I sat watching my phone, and then I saw an error message "Sensor Error, try again in 10 mins" upon checking the sensor it was hanging half off my arm, and never worked again . . . .

I've reported the error to Abbott who are kindly sending me a replacement to try - how do I make it last a bit longer this time ?

Mat
My suggestion is to cover the Libre with a plaster.

Reactions: MadMat

Melgar

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I wear these waterproof adhesive patches for cgms. You can get them off of Amazon. They just stick over the sensor. They have saved many a sensor. I would always rip them off going through door frames. Not sure why I gravitate to the sides of door frames, but apparently I do.

They fail in many ways. They fail to scan, they fail to come out of the 1 hr warm up, they get stuck with please scan in 10 minutes, they fall off. All that being said I find them amazing devices and on the whole they work great, but they do fail sometimes.

Reactions: MadMat

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
And next time, apply it but then wait 24 hours before starting it. It can take time to "bed in" and may give erratic readings. The officialdirections say an hour, but many of us find 24 is more accurate

Bill_St

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Important not to use moisturising soap. Only Simple soap that has no oil. Clean well with alcohol wipe but make sure it is completely dry before applying. Also press and hold new sensor down for 15sec to allow adhesive to bond. If an edge comes up then just press firmly with a hot towel.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Important not to use moisturising soap. Only Simple soap that has no oil. Clean well with alcohol wipe but make sure it is completely dry before applying. Also press and hold new sensor down for 15sec to allow adhesive to bond. If an edge comes up then just press firmly with a hot towel.
Alcohol wipes are not necessary unless you have greasy skin. If you have avoided moisturiser (including the moisturising soap as you mentioned) and your arm is clean, it should stick fine.
I chose to reduce my waste and stop using single use wipes. On the rare occasion that I need an alcohol wipe, I use surgical spirit and a clean cloth.

The other thing to remember is that sensors do not bend. I know this sounds obvious but it means if you place the sensor on a curved part of your arm or a part of your arm that bends, the sensor will start to peel off.

Reactions: MoyaAnne

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
Hi All

Mat
Yerp just bad luck, I have a love hate relationship with my Libre, I love it but it hates me!