What are the main things to eat to lower my HbA1c blood sugar levels?

AnnRob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would definitely go for low carb. If you cut out sugar, flour, bread, rice, pasta, potatoes etc, which make BG rise (too much & too quickly in my eyes) just count the carbs in the other foods. There are a lot of foods available that you can substitute for these foods. Low carb is below 100g daily but 60 or less is better if you need to lose weight. Look out for low carb programmes, which some drs have signed up to. It’s a life changer. Started by David & Jen Unwin. Just as useful for type 1 as type 2

tzatziki_king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Stan,

Could you ask about doing a DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) course if you haven't already done one ? These courses are so useful as they cover off insulin/corrections/dosing/carb counting and although as an experienced type 1 we can all learn loads if we go back to basics, also they can help in changing your insulin if they can see it's not doing the job as well as it should do for you. Also just nice to meet other type 1's too, that was the best bit for me when I did it.
I totally agree about doing a DAFNE course. It really helped me.

Leolady19

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello Stan,

Could you ask about doing a DAFNE (Dose Adjustment for Normal Eating) course if you haven't already done one ? These courses are so useful as they cover off insulin/corrections/dosing/carb counting and although as an experienced type 1 we can all learn loads if we go back to basics, also they can help in changing your insulin if they can see it's not doing the job as well as it should do for you. Also just nice to meet other type 1's too, that was the best bit for me when I did it.
Hi the waiting list where I am in wales is over a year to get on the Dafne course. There is a 2 day mini one an I have been wait 3 months already. But as I don't have a good computer I can even do that via zoom and the face to face no vacancy at present

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
Hi the waiting list where I am in wales is over a year to get on the Dafne course. There is a 2 day mini one an I have been wait 3 months already. But as I don't have a good computer I can even do that via zoom and the face to face no vacancy at present
Maybe the bertie online course would be helpful for you?

• Agree
  • Useful
Reactions: Antje77 and Juicyj

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Do you know someone who can lend you a laptop or let you use their computer - failing that get yourself onto BERTIE as Ellie has suggested, also get a copy of 'think like a pancreas' off Amazon, it's an invaluable guide to increasing your knowledge with insulin management.

Reactions: Antje77 and EllieM

CheeseSeaker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People arguing over silly stuff
I have been Type 1 for about 40 years and I always ask in the clinid (in St James, Leeds) what HbA1c stands for but no-one knows. I know what Hb means but not the A1c. Anyone?
Good question (never thought to look it up)

Explanation below - essentially (I think) is the A1C is 'Glycated haemoglobin' so the term used is Haemoglobin A1c or HbA1c for short

Haemoglobin A - protein in the red blood cells, which carries oxygen. When there is glucose in the bloodstream it sticks to the haemoglobin A.

The naming of HbA1c derives from hemoglobin type A being separated on cation exchange chromatography. The first fraction to separate, probably considered to be pure hemoglobin A, was designated HbA0, and the following fractions were designated HbA1a, HbA1b, and HbA1c, in their order of elution.

I think I'll stick to calling it HbA1C....and try never to look up what it means again (I need a sit down in a dark room now)

Last edited:
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The first question I have and doesn't seem to have been asked...what is your day to day blood glucose control like?

Hb1Ac is a proxy for the long-term (three to four month) blood glucose levels. You can control your BG on a continuous basis, dosing your bolus to respond to what you've eaten and activity, correcting if you are running high between meals. And adjust your basal if you are having too many hypos or hypers or correction doses aren't effective in keeping the BG in range i.e the BG drops for an hour or two and goes back up without more food being taken.

Have you a CGM? How much time are you spending between 4 and 10? Aim for 70% to 75% over a week, month and 90 days and the Hb1Ac should come back in range.