Hi Everyone - Would be lovely to have some support!

Joannef

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi everyone. I'm Jo and I'm 38. I've had gestational diabetes twice which cleared both times ( last pregnancy 2009). I then got diagnosed with type 2 in 2012. Been on Metformin for the last 2 years but now my sugar levels have gone out of control and they are saying I will have to move to insulin. I have been taking 80mg gliclazide for the last week but I still can't get below 10 ! I don't really think it has too much to do with what I eat as sugar levels seem to be similar before and after meals ( or this could be the gliclazide & Metformin working ?) Apparently I'm underweight so they can't increase the Metformin any more so insulin seems to be the only option. Honestly I'm gutted but I know I have to admit it and accept that I need help! I had insulin during the second pregnancy and don't have a problems with the injecting part - it's just the hassle of carrying it round, keeping it cool etc. Ignoring the doctors phone calls at the moment - stupid I know - hoping it will go away! I have lots of family members who are diabetic so it's seems to be genetic but can't help feeling like a bit of a failure!
I'm a mum to 2 girls, love having fun and going on holidays, cooking, family time etc

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Sorry to hear of your problems. You sound more of a T1 rather than T2 to me (as an amateur) not that the treatment process has much difference. Yes, if the Gliclazide isn't working then insulin might be the next move although I was on 320mg until it stopped working and I started insulin. Are you having a low-carb diet with adequate fat and protein? I wouldn't worry too much about the insulin. As long as you store the unused cartridges/ pens in the fridge the stuff you are actively using can last around 4 weeks at room temp. I manage to keep my number of injections down to 3 per day unless I have a big breakfast by taking Basal only once a day and then Bolus for lunch & dinner. Everyone is different and there is no right solution but I choose to keep it down to 3 injections as a working compromise. Needles continue to reduce in size and mine is very fine and only 4mm long. Do face up to what you need to do as I'm sure you are aware of the downside if your blood sugar remains too high.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't know anything about your type of diabetes, but if you have to go on to insulin, don't worry too much about the hassle of it, it soon becomes an easy part of life. Plus, you will feel SO much better altogether when you can get your blood sugar levels in the right place, ... so let the doctor call you! Get back to us and let us know how you're getting on.

Reactions: 2 people

Joannef

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you Daibell & lizdeluz. I have an appointment with the diabetic nurse tomorrow morning. Will let you know how I get on. Daibell, yes I have quite a low carb diet ( been down to no more than 50g per day over the last week and still no improvement). Quite sensible with the eating, haven't touched sugar in months, don't smoke, rarely drink so think I've tried everything I can myself. Now time for the professionals to help me out!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you will be fine, you are taking the right path for you and will be healthy for your family fun

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I'm in my fifth year since diagnosis. I knew I was probably diabetic when I felt unwell and visited my GP. But I assumed, because of my age that I was Type 2. When GP confirmed that I was indeed diabetic, I suggested that some tablets would sort it out. He wasn't having any of it and sent me off to A&E with a letter stating 'ADMIT'. I was treated as a Type 1 and put straight on to insulin. I wasn't shocked but surprised because other family members were also Type 1. There began my journey to better health administering daily insulin. It's not a problem - just need to make sure I don't leave home without a means of testing and some glucose or jelly beans in case they are needed. Oh and an insulin pen in case I decide to eat while I am out doing the things I like doing best or running around after four grandchildren.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Joannef

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you all for your messages. I've been to see the nurse this morning. My doctor is on holiday until Tuesday so she has told me to keep monitoring and she will speak to him when he gets back. She said it may be possible to increase the gliclazide for a while but needs the doctor to make the decision. I will post when I have a decision. Thanks again x