Suggestions to manage a control without strips?

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
I've a lot of years with a poorly or not taken cared type 1 diabetes. A month ago began to take care (beginning to eat the proper kind of food, adjusting my insulin dosage with my new doctor and monitoring my blood glucose levels). Nevertheless all of this took a lot of money and I dont have any sort of aid right now so no insurance involved. Have a children so dont have money left for the glucometer strips; may anyone with experience recomend how to follow up? Have problems recognizing hypos: Im new here so any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wallmart has code free meter strips at $9 for 50, I don't know whether free clinics hand them out?
there are also free stuff for economically disadvantaged info on US site including insulin, perhaps a post there would help as well
http://www.diabetesforum.com/forum.php
http://www.diabetesdaily.com/forum/

perhaps a phone call to the American Diabetes Association may shed some light

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Jaz253

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Government politic management anywhere, extreme religion approach, uninformed doctors
Thanks a lot! Think should have mention though that I live in south america :( The question was more on the practical sense rather than the economical one ;)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
LOL, sorry, I knew it wasn't UK because everything is free [if they will give it to you] and I saw Santa Cruz in you profile and sounded yank to me.
I have no real advice, as I don't know about the Bolivian health system. I guess urine strips may be an option for day to day and use the blood strips when you want to check or adjust dosage?