Problems with weight

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
I was diagnosed with type1 diabetes just over a month ago and have put on 5pounds since then, I'm on novo mix 30 twice daily, I don't carb count yet .. I'm wondering if anyone has any advise on any diets that's worked for them as I am just feeling uncomfortable with my weight at the moment :(

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
It's so rubbish, I have my birthday night out soon and feel so horrid in everything I wear .. Hopefully the weight gain stops soon :( xx

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is only one way to lose weight healthily - a low fat, very low carb, no sugar diet with minimum thrice weekly aerobic exercise.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey.

I also gained weight on Novomix and it stopped when I was switched to bolus/basal - I heard from a friend who's been having diabetes for a long time, that it's very common to gain weight on Novomix. I gained a bit too much and now I can't seem to be able to lose it :( But maybe the body just needs some time...

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
Awk that's so rubbish, so maybe it is the novo mix that is causing my weight gain, I was thinking of trying slimming world to lose some weight

andy williams

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
whether you think that's rubbish or not is irrelevant - it happens to be fact.

There are of course other ways to lose weight such as amputation or hunger strikes however they are extreme.

There is only one way to lose weight - expended calories must exceed ingested calories.

Many diabetic drugs slow your metabolism. To stand still you need to eat less/move more.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Needles lol
Andy I wasn't saying that what you said was rubbish, I didn't notice that you had already commented, sorry if you thought that

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do move to a low-carb diet if not already doing that and reduce the insulin to match to avoid hypos; use the meter of course. Although mixed insulins are very convenient, they don't provide the level of control that Basal/Bolus regime can provide. If you are happy to have two pens for the Basal and the Bolus then do see if the GP will swap you to that regime. The Bolus (rapid insulin) enables you to match the number of shots at each meal to what you decide to eat and thru low-carbing you can keep weight gain at bay. I've only put on 1Kg in a year from 60Kg.

Reactions: 2 people