MY DAD HAS RECENTLY DIAGNOSED DIABETES AND PANCREATIC CANCER NEED ADVICE ON HYPOS

willow1964

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi
I am posting on behalf of my Dad. It's a long story, but his diabetes was left untreated for a long time by his GP. Then we paid for him to see a private GP out of desperation to find out why he was going dizzy losing weight etc. Firstly private GP diagnosed the seriousness of my dad's diabetes, which his GP hadn't even been treating him for despite knowing about it. Anyway now he has inoperable pancreatic and liver cancer, but it seems the diabetes is causing him more problems than the cancer. He suddenly starts to shake in the evenings and goes freezing cold. We have been left in the dark about all of this. We thought it was the cancer until tonight when I suddenly remembered someone saying that their son had these things called hypos (he is a diabetic). My daughter googled 'hypos' and gave my Dad some fresh orange juice; within 15 minutes he was feeling less shakey and eventually the shaking subsided. Does this sound like a hypo? He had eaten two hours previously. We called the emergency doctor out to him the other night and he said don't worry about the diabetes just let him eat what he wants?? Please can someone tell me if they have any idea about how we can keep these shaking and shivering cold episodes at bay?? Thank you Forgot to say he is on oral medication and his usualy blood reading is 23. We have had no advice from any dieticians and are completely in the dark when it comes to knowledge of this illness.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hello, I am sorry for your dad and you. Given that your father has cancer of both the liver and pancreas it would be very difficult for people to recommend anything. The liver and pancreas are the key organs in controlling the bodies glucose levels. I can say 23 is high. Is that his blood glucose level when he is having his hypo levels.

willow1964

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
23 is what his blood sugar levels are. We know that is extremely high and that 'normal' is 4. Could you tell me about the symptoms of a hypo. Is what I am describing a typical hypo and why does this happen?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
This site carries a good page on hypos http://www.diabetes.co.uk/Diabetes-and-Hypoglycaemia.html
It is also known that you do not have to go to a very low level if your body is used to much higher numbers. So 23 could be like a hypo for your father even if it isnt medically.

Have you measured his blood levels when he isnt in this "hypo" state?

willow1964

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes that is his level. We haven't tested it when he is in a hypo - we will do that if it happens again. Thanks for your advice I will look at the link in your message.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
you are welcome, hope it helps.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

This sounds like a similar story to my mother. She was diagnosed diabetic, did very little about it. I dont think she ever had it properly explained to her and within a few months of her being exhausted and losing weight she was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. She was given no advice about the diabetes at that point, I think it was just deemed to be part of the cancer rather than something that needed treating. Her blood sugar was never checked or commented on
So I am very sorry for your dad and all your family.

I recommend you get some help and advice from Macmillan.
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Canceri.../Treatingpancreaticcancer/Supportivecare.aspx

and also
http://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/information-and-support/diet-living-with-pancreatic-cancer

My mum just ate what she wanted which depended on what she could tolerate. She had vitamin enriched drinks. Eventually, when she had little appetite, we read somewhere that a glass of sherry would improve things. And it did!

I wish you all well

Cara

willow1964

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

This sounds like a similar story to my mother. She was diagnosed diabetic, did very little about it. I dont think she ever had it properly explained to her and within a few months of her being exhausted and losing weight she was diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. She was given no advice about the diabetes at that point, I think it was just deemed to be part of the cancer rather than something that needed treating. Her blood sugar was never checked or commented on
So I am very sorry for your dad and all your family.

I recommend you get some help and advice from Macmillan.
http://www.macmillan.org.uk/Canceri.../Treatingpancreaticcancer/Supportivecare.aspx

and also
http://www.pancreaticcancer.org.uk/information-and-support/diet-living-with-pancreatic-cancer

My mum just ate what she wanted which depended on what she could tolerate. She had vitamin enriched drinks. Eventually, when she had little appetite, we read somewhere that a glass of sherry would improve things. And it did!

I wish you all well

Cara

willow1964

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Carraway thank you for answering my question. It is a terrible situation and not knowing whether it's the diabetes or the cancer causing the symptoms. It's terrible to be left without advice. Thank you for the links