Thoughts on my diabetic diet... :-)

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wasn't quite sure where to post this, but the words came to me when I was pondering my low carb diet and as a resuilt missing out on Easter eggs this Easter:

My Diabetic Diet

I'm a Type 2 diabetic -
What makes me tick?
Eating fats - not starch & sugar:
For if I eat
All things sweet
I may find
That I go blind
Or lose my feet...
Life can be a bu*g*er! :-((

Robbity

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My dear, gorgeous, beloved husband has bought me a dark chocolate Heston Bloomenthal Easter egg. It is sitting behind his desk at the moment, looking exquisitely divine.

I will be taking him out on Easter Sunday, to his favourite cafe where I will have bacon and eggs, and he will have four blueberry pancakes with maple syrup and whipped cream.

I love chocolate and I flourish on a low carb diet, but the two fit together in perfect harmony (in my opinion). I just have good quality dark choc - which is not easy to binge on. Grin.

Reactions: 2 people

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you - and well done hubby!

I used to get migraines from dark chocolate, but have discovered to my delight that Lindt 85% dark choccie does actually agree with me. I do find sometimes it's a little bitter for my liking, but oh the joy! I swap between eating a square a day and making chocolate cheesecake with a whole bar, which lasts me a week.

Robbity

popsy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
It's mighty strange to me how much I have changed in regard to stuff I used to eat and don't now. Easter was always a huge trial for me, I must have bought literally hundreds of Easter Eggs for my kids that never got anywhere near them! I could never work out why Easter Eggs had such a hold over me though, I mean it's just chocolate.........isn't it? Maybe "they" add something to make them even more yummy than ordinary choc, the wily manufacturers! ;)

Anyhoo....I don't do that anymore. In fact I don't do an awful lot I used to do, I don't pig out on stuff and simply don't have the same cravings I used to. Now why is that I wonder? Why, why, why? Or perhaps I should just accept it and be grateful :happy: Changes of eating habits can work wonders can't they? Yahoo!

Happy Easter everyone :joyful:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The egg is heavenly.
No, that doesn't do it justice... Hestons chocolate (at Xmas and now Easter egg) has turned out to be that impossible dream - where one mouthful really is enough

Just thought I would let you know...

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Lucky you - and well done hubby!

I used to get migraines from dark chocolate, but have discovered to my delight that Lindt 85% dark choccie does actually agree with me. I do find sometimes it's a little bitter for my liking, but oh the joy! I swap between eating a square a day and making chocolate cheesecake with a whole bar, which lasts me a week.

Robbity
I find most African chocolate too bitter so go for South American instead, fruitier and not as bitter. But more expensive, of course. Not that it really matters in the quantities I now consume.

To make a bitter chocolate more palatable you can melt it and mix it with double cream or coconut butter or butter, maybe add some vanilla extract and or shredded coconut or roasted nuts.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
this has been said before, but i suck some chocolate then et some nuts and hey presto you have ferero rochet in your mouth hehe

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Whoa! Oh Totto, what have you done...

Now I HAVE to track down African and South American single blends and do a taste comparison.

You naughty temptress!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
this has been said before, but i suck some chocolate then et some nuts and hey presto you have ferero rochet in your mouth hehe

Andy, I'm sorry, but you should wash your hands for even typing the f*rr*r* r*ch*t name!

Philistine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Ok, getting tired of melodramatic exclamation now)

Reactions: 3 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Although, if we are admitting our shamefully rattling skeletons, I must admit that I once thought a square of Galaxy and a mint imperial, sucked simultaneously, was the ultimate taste experience.

Don't judge me. I was very young.

And it was only once.

And I didn't inhale. Honest.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
:wideyed: simultaniously? and i need to wash MY hands? gonna take me a while to get over this, makes the biblical plagues seem futile