lunch today good or bad

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
I had 3 grain ryvitas with cream cheese, cucumber and prawns and one black coffee no sugar.
, as normally I would have had a sandwich. but after reading the blogs, it appears that bread is not toooooooooooo good so trying to reduce my intack of bread
.Is that ok to have?

C

catherinecherub

Do you have a meter and test strips?

If you tested before and then 2 hours after then you will see if it is all right for you.
Hope you enjoyed your lunch, sounds nice.

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
i eat ryvita and they don't cause me to raise my bg levels very much at all

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Many thanks for inputs. I sat her for ages trying to decide what to have, my tummy was rumbling
Chicken tonight, Roast Potatoes !!!!! cauli, peas Broc and stuffing
Can you have potatoes, something else I love. is that the sort of meal to have ?Or am I overdoing it a bit.
The chicken just cold roasted chicken put into a savoury gravy?
Just need advice as I have not taken a reading yet. I think that I am bit to enthusiastic .I just need to know what is right and helpful.
I must admit you all have been a great help thank you

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
only you can determine what your body can handle. The best way to do this is as stated by @catherinecherub stated above with a meter. Although I can handle roast potatoes it would be wrong for me to say you can as we all react to different foods differently

edit: not quite as helpful as I meant it to be

it is the fast (high glycemic) carbs that are the worst for you. Roast potatoes are medium due to the fat so you "should" be ok. It is always worth searching the nutritional information and looking up the glycemic index. That will also tell you the carb if it isnt on the packet.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
it is the fast (high glycemic) carbs that are the worst for you. Roast potatoes are medium due to the fat so you "should" be ok. It is always worth searching the nutritional information and looking up the glycemic index. That will also tell you the carb if it isnt on the packet.

is that right Andrew? I have roast potatoes as high GI at 85. Chips are only 75. However, I managed 120g (24 carbs) of roast spuds on Sunday with a chicken dinner and had excellent readings. As it happens, I can also manage a few home made deep fried chips. Thank goodness!

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I roast new potatoes in the skins with a little olive oil and salt and pepper and stick to a maximum portion size of 200g uncooked. I did test this when first diagnosed and they don't cause a significant rise in my BG levels. As ever, testing is the only way to confirm what can be eaten and shouldn't.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
is that right Andrew? I have roast potatoes as high GI at 85. Chips are only 75. However, I managed 120g (24 carbs) of roast spuds on Sunday with a chicken dinner and had excellent readings. As it happens, I can also manage a few home made deep fried chips. Thank goodness!
May depend how they are roasted and how much fat is in them

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
May depend how they are roasted and how much fat is in them

Only carbs have a GI. Fat has a GI of 0. Roast spuds will still be 85 no matter how much or how little fat. The glycemic load of the meal as a whole is what counts. (glycemic load is carbs x GI divide by 100. You include every component of the meal. The lower the load the better) So portion controlled spuds with fat, meat and veggies would have a low GL. Or that's how I see it. Roast spuds on their own would still be high.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Morning everyone.
Well had my dinner. roast pot, new pots, cauli, broc, leaks, chicken, carrot, did as you said take reading before was 156. higher then I thought, but that was due to having 2 biscuits and a coffee in the garden. Then took reading after dinner around 8.30 pm 176. not a true reading as having those 2 biscuits I must have spiked.
This morning just taken reading 108 before breakfast,. so maybe not so bad. at 6.30 am

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Instead of biscuits you can make coconut what-you-call-them. Melt 50 grams of butter and let cool. Whip two eggs with sweetener equivalent to three tbps of sugar, mix the butter with the egg/sweetener and blend in 5 dl (200 grams) of shredded dessicated coconut. Spoon out lumps on a baking tray, 20-30 of them. Bake at 200 C for 10-12 min, until golden brown.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I tried one new bolied potato last night for my tea. My bg was 5.8 before tea and 2 hours later was still 5.8. However my stomach was bloated for those two hours and I just felt yuk. So although my bg was affected I won't be eating potatoes again:( although the roast potato I had on Sunday didn't affect my stomach, possibly because of the fat.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Only carbs have a GI. Fat has a GI of 0. Roast spuds will still be 85 no matter how much or how little fat. The glycemic load of the meal as a whole is what counts. (glycemic load is carbs x GI divide by 100. You include every component of the meal. The lower the load the better) So portion controlled spuds with fat, meat and veggies would have a low GL. Or that's how I see it. Roast spuds on their own would still be high.
No The fat when it soaks into the potato changes the rate of absorption of the starch and therefore the GI of a roast spud is lower. That is why pizza is so weird as well

A

AnnieC

Many thanks for inputs. I sat her for ages trying to decide what to have, my tummy was rumbling
Chicken tonight, Roast Potatoes !!!!! cauli, peas Broc and stuffing
Can you have potatoes, something else I love. is that the sort of meal to have ?Or am I overdoing it a bit.
The chicken just cold roasted chicken put into a savoury gravy?
Just need advice as I have not taken a reading yet. I think that I am bit to enthusiastic .I just need to know what is right and helpful.
I must admit you all have been a great help thank you
You will only find out what you can eat by testing some can eat potatoes some can't... mashed pototo is the worse for raising BS....I can eat 2 or 3 small roasties and same with new potatoes nothing is banned if you can eat it without a big BS spike

A

AnnieC

I tried one new bolied potato last night for my tea. My bg was 5.8 before tea and 2 hours later was still 5.8. However my stomach was bloated for those two hours and I just felt yuk. So although my bg was affected I won't be eating potatoes again:( although the roast potato I had on Sunday didn't affect my stomach, possibly because of the fat.

That's strange as you obviously can eat them without it affecting your BS yet it made you feel bloated may be because your tummy is not used to them now if you do not normally eat them anymore strange as it is usually wheat products that does that Did potatoes affect you like that before you knew you were prediabetic. Prediabetic myself fortunately nothing upsets my tummy I have just stopped the starchy foods like bread.. except Burgen 2 slices for toast or a sandwhich.. pasta rice and all sugary foods I still have small new potatoes and a couple of roasties on a Sunday and I have a lot of salads green leafy veg celariac and cauliflower

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
annie I used to get alot of bloating before I knew I was prediabetic but didn't know what was causing it.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
I roast the potatoes in Goose fat

Reactions: 3 people