Boxing being a diebitc

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Murry, I would say yes.
look up the boxer James Douglas, I think he developed type1 during or after boxing then returned to boxing.
At the end of the day simple facts means there are alternative ways of dealing with boxing and diabetes.

good luck in your winning career :)

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
No idea tbh, are we talking about boxing at amateur/ professional level or just working out in the gym? The following organisation will hopefully provide the answer:

http://www.gbboxing.org.uk/

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi MurrayT1,
You can do any sporting activity you like, just so long you are careful to manage your blood glucose levels.
Basic principles for Type 1 - moderate exercise tends to cause a blood glucose fall, whereas higher intensity exercise can cause BGs to rise.

For an introduction into what to expect go to: www.teambloodglucose.com. For more technical guidance, www.runsweet.com
Best thing is to take it easy and test your bloods regularly when you begin, that way you will begin to see a pattern in how your BG levels behave and they will become more predictable and easier to manage over time.
Good luck!;)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm not an expert on boxing but I would be afraid that the increased risk of injury (another boxer hitting you) would make good control harder (cortisone can induce severe hyperglycemia)... but I may be completely wrong about boxing.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
What about healing ? Have you thought about that ? A person with diabetes is prone to elongated healing times, so any cuts, bruises etc can and probably will need closer supervision during this slower healing process.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

MurrayT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What do that mean no I didn't like just something I your ghat I take up like to better my overall augers just and may getting In ring but mosly doing it to contral my over all sugers just

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I did kickboxing before diagnosis and the energy expenditure is unbelievable, it makes circuit training look like a leisurely stroll.

You can do anything you want, so if you want to box, go for it, but you need to watch out for hypoglycaemia during and after fighting and training.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App