High blood sugar readings.

sascha2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being diabetic.
Hi, I have been a diabetic for 5 years now.When first diagnosed I went on a diet, lost 3 stones and reduced my readings from 17 to 5.7.
I kept this going for around 3 years with very good control and the same readings. Then I stopped smoking and had a meltdown with food and my blood sugars slowly started rising. I controlled my diabetes with diet alone but now , on my next appointment if it hasnt gone down from around the 9 mark, my doctor wants to put me on medication., can anyone tell me if I can get my readings down with diet again or is it that once it has risen higher you then need medication. Can diabetic complications occur with readings of nine. I would appreciate any advice.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Hi Sascha, welcome.

Those numbers are BGs in mmol/l, yes? Do you have any HbA1c results?

What diet did you adopt before?

I'm sure we can help, yes.

Reactions: 2 people

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sascha, welcome to the Forum. Well done for giving up smoking. Have you been eating more since giving up smoking? If so, this could be the reason for the increase in your bg. Also, giving up smoking can slow your metabolism down initially.

I find that doing some exercise, like going for a walk lowers bg. Do you have a meter and strips?

Complications occur usually after many years of uncontrolled high blood glucose levels, which is why it is important to test your bg regularly.

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps to have a bit of background information.

Marilyn

sascha2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being diabetic.
Hi Sascha, welcome.

Those numbers are BGs in mmol/l, yes? Do you have any HbA1c results?

What diet did you adopt before?

I'm sure we can help, yes.
Hi thank you for your reply, yes it is mmol/1 reading I dont have any other. The diet I did was just low carb no sugar, healthy eating really. I didnt feel good when I stopped smoking and found it very difficult, so I foolishly ignored my Diabetes and so ended up like this. It was 2 and a half years ago that I stopped smoking.

sascha2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being diabetic.
Hi Sascha, welcome to the Forum. Well done for giving up smoking. Have you been eating more since giving up smoking? If so, this could be the reason for the increase in your bg. Also, giving up smoking can slow your metabolism down initially.

I find that doing some exercise, like going for a walk lowers bg. Do you have a meter and strips?

Complications occur usually after many years of uncontrolled high blood glucose levels, which is why it is important to test your bg regularly.

Sorry for all the questions, but it helps to have a bit of background information.

Marilyn
Hi Marilyn thank you, I have indeed been eating more since stopping smoking, in fact hav been ignoring the diabetes. I do have test strips so try to keep a good eye on readings now. I have only had these high readings for a short time so should be ok to try and change things with diet. Thanks for your comments.

Mazzer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi Sasha, you sound a bit more positive. I am sure you can get back on track without having to resort to meds just yet. Lots of lovely people on here to keep you motivated and plenty of information and tips.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how you are getting on.

Marilyn x

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello Sascha and welcome.

I think you know where you have been going wrong and how to put it right. Return to low carb no sugar and all should be well. There is plenty of advice and loads of supportive people on here so you are in the right place. Test out your meals, test before eating and again at 1 hour and 2 hours, then learn from the results. Try to keep under 7.8 after meals as much as possible.

sascha2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
being diabetic.
Hi Sasha, you sound a bit more positive. I am sure you can get back on track without having to resort to meds just yet. Lots of lovely people on here to keep you motivated and plenty of information and tips.

Good luck and keep us posted as to how you are getting on.

Marilyn x
Thank you for your support, I think I just wanted to hear some encouraging words to keep me on track. Will keep you posted.
Hello Sascha and welcome.

I think you know where you have been going wrong and how to put it right. Return to low carb no sugar and all should be well. There is plenty of advice and loads of supportive people on here so you are in the right place. Test out your meals, test before eating and again at 1 hour and 2 hours, then learn from the results. Try to keep under 7.8 after meals as much as possible.
Thank you will try just a bit harder now, its very hard at the moment.