Start of acne tablets next week

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The conservative party, people who are cruel to animals and aggressive people
Hello, a while ago I posted about my ongoing battle with adult onset acne. Well after almost 1 1/2 years I am starting on roaccutaine next week. It's a very low dose and my doctor, dermatologist etc. all reassure me that everything will be monitored closely. I've even done some of my own research and wrote to the heads of diabetes in Cardiff and Birmingham and both of them took time to reply. Neither had heard of any real reaction between this tablet and diabetes/erratic sugars but both admitted to not knowing too much about it. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good luck! My brother took it as a teenager, be sure to stay hydrated. He reluctantly resorted to lip balm to stop the chapped lips!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

Reactions: 2 people

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks for the advice. Been warned about lips that just flake away!! Loads of Vaseline to the ready.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have you got it now then?

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well they arrived in my local hosp yesterday so I have them now. I have to say it seems like any excuse (by me and my husband) and I will put off starting them. We go away tomorrow just for a night so my husband suggested I start them on Saturday when we get back and we have a few days of being at home. I don't know quite what we're expecting to happen but it is true to say we are very nervous about taking them!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry if I've missed earlier posts about this, but I was wondering if you've tried eliminating dairy from your diet? A lot of the research by Professor Loren Cordain (the original Paleo diet author) seems to implicate dairy with acne. Wheat too, but dairy seems to be a bigger culprit.

The autoimmune version of the Paleo diet seems to have a lot of success for skin conditions - might be worthwhile reading Tara Grant's "The Hidden Plague" about HS - I've heard her say in interviews that it has a lot in common with cystic acne.

Good luck with whichever route you choose to go.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Indy. Yes, elimated milk and switched to soya and almond for a good while but no difference - in fact this is the worst spell I have had but admittedly I have gone back to eating natural yogurt since my no dairy phase. Will look out for the names you quoted - thanks very much,

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well all I can say it's only day 3 and it's a diabetes disaster. My sugars have been horribly high since yesterday but of course not all the time so can't just up my basal round the clock. My stomach is shot to pieces by tonight (I do have IBS anyway) and I feel rubbish. Ketones were at 0.3 after supper and, from extended courses of antibiotics for my skin, I can tell that this is just the start of bad things and carrying on will only exacerbate the situation. I feel exactly like I did when I'd been on ABS for 2 months! I do think that whilst they've been given to me under strict supervision I feel that the dermatologist did brush aside the T1 diabetes angle a bit. As we all know though this is with us 24/7 365 days of the year and we cant just have months on end of erratic sugars and ketones developing right left and centre. P*%#$d off. Husband relieved that I haven't taken tonight's tablet.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's not good! I would have tried to continue for a week, those 3 days might have been unrelated to the tablets? You never know!

Definitely contact your doctors to get down advise on how to proceed

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thanks Hale. It may sound silly but sometimes, when your body tells you that something is very wrong, you kind of know what's causing it - I'm 100% sure that it's the tablets that started to mess things up. I left a message for my Dermo team and they're phoning me back. In the meantime I've made an appointment with a homeopath next week - a route I haven't been down but worth a go I think.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anything is worth a go! If the tablets aren't agreeing with you then just keep moving on to the next thing :) something will work eventually, it's just a case of finding it

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Maybe once I get through the menopause that will be it!! :)
On another note, because of how my skin is I not only have acne but also sensitivity, burning and flaking skin around the neck I am trying Weleda Skin Food. So far so good on reducing the irritation. It has rave write ups and is also good for feet so I've been using it on them too - it's brilliant so a fab product for all of us diabetics to moisturise out tootsies.

Riri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Things are looking up, Well almost a week on since starting using the weleda products and .......sulphur soap. I smell like one of those stink bombs we used to let off as kids but, by heck, the acne on my back is already much less inflamed and starting to reduce. I will keep going on this regime until next week as the homeopath had to postpone my appointment tomorrow . I have also bought mankuna honey to help with the areas of flaking skin around my jawline and hairline and that seems to be helping as well. I've also gone a bit mad and spent a bomb on all new mineral make up and non-chemical hair products. To be honest some of my make up was well passed the recommended date so that's my excuse. All of these purchases are mounting up. Thank god for good old beans on toast and jacket potatoes :)