Gaining weight - help

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Ok so in the last week have gained 1lb, then 2 and now 3. I am eating the same diet as always. I have not eaten anything different, indulged in any treats. My blood sugars have risen. I have had a lot of stress in the past 2 weeks on the home front and at work. I can't remember when I had my last time of the month so could be due on. I have been walking every day and the past 2 days I have gone power walking for an hour. Really down in doldrums and feel out of control. It really isn't fair. I can handle maintaining but not gaining. Forgot to say - follow LCHF.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hang in there Scandichic, in the big plan, it's just a blip ! You've made an amazing transformation so far, those numbers will drop again soon. It could be the stress or time of the month but whatever, stick with it.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hang in there Scandichic, in the big plan, it's just a blip ! You've made an amazing transformation so far, those numbers will drop again soon. It could be the stress or time of the month but whatever, stick with it.
Thank you!

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My weight goes up and down but overall 10kg loss this year

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Scandichic I can totally understand your concern and frustration. I gained 3lb earlier this month and have only just lost them again. It is worrying but I would suspect yours might be due to your increase in exercise and building up of muscle since muscle weighs more than fat.

Instead of going by the scales, can you tell from the fit of your clothes? If they still fit well and are not getting tight, then I'm wondering if it could be muscle gain from the fit new you? I think there comes a time when, after the scales have helped us prove that LCHF works, we need to take the focus off how much we weigh, and more on how we feel, how our bs are and how we are controlling our condition. Monitoring weight loss in the early days is essential to let us know we are doing something right, but you know that now.

This weather, glorious as it is, doesn't help either and could cause water retention. It hit 31 degrees here yesterday. That would affect bs too, along with your stress.

As the others say, hang in there. You've done so well and are such an inspiration.. Its only a blip.

How was your daughter's birthday party ? xx

Reactions: 6 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Scandichic I can totally understand your concern and frustration. I gained 3lb earlier this month and have only just lost them again. It is worrying but I would suspect yours might be due to your increase in exercise and building up of muscle since muscle weighs more than fat.

Instead of going by the scales, can you tell from the fit of your clothes? If they still fit well and are not getting tight, then I'm wondering if it could be muscle gain from the fit new you? I think there comes a time when, after the scales have helped us prove that LCHF works, we need to take the focus off how much we weigh, and more on how we feel, how our bs are and how we are controlling our condition. Monitoring weight loss in the early days is essential to let us know we are doing something right, but you know that now.

This weather, glorious as it is, doesn't help either and could cause water retention. It hit 31 degrees here yesterday. That would affect bs too, along with your stress.

As the others say, hang in there. You've done so well and are such an inspiration.. Its only a blip.

How was your daughter's birthday party ? xx
She had a fabulous time, the weather was beautiful and several of the parents said that they might do the same for theirs next year! Totally relaxed and chilled. The kids either paddled or loom banded till their hearts were content! Everyone stayed for 5 hours!
Am convinced it's weather, stress and water retention. Just need to keep going and keep the faith! I did plateau once for 3 weeks so.......
Thanks for the post! It made me feel better! Half a day to go!

Reactions: 5 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes Scandi I'm sure it's all of those 3 things too. Have a good day!!!

Pollylocks

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not many.
...perhaps your metabolism has adjusted to what you're eating, you could try eating a bit more for a few days and then give it a kickstart by starting again...but I think too that its probably a combination of the things you mentioned and just temporary...

Reactions: 2 people

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I can think of three possible reasons:

1. Weightloss plateau: from my observation weightloss tends to plateau from time to time, possibly reflecting the body adjusting. If neither of the other two reasons applies, this could be the answer, but if your BG is up it's less likely I think.

2. Increasing insulin resistance: in my case it's decreasing insulin production, but the effect would be the same, I think: low-ish carb foods that I used to manage have come to raise my BG. For me this includes parsnip, carrot, sweetcorn and tomato. Your meter will guide you.

3. Carb creep: often when I think I've achieved perfect control I relax and start eating, say a slice of birthday cake here, an after-dinner mint there and a G&T at the pub, until "occasional" treats torpedo my control. A different form of the same thing is mistaking ingredients, such as the time I drank a glass of grape juice with my dinner every night for a week in the mistaken belief it was wine.

Hang in there :)

Kate

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Ok so in the last week have gained 1lb, then 2 and now 3. I am eating the same diet as always. I have not eaten anything different, indulged in any treats. My blood sugars have risen. I have had a lot of stress in the past 2 weeks on the home front and at work. I can't remember when I had my last time of the month so could be due on. I have been walking every day and the past 2 days I have gone power walking for an hour. Really down in doldrums and feel out of control. It really isn't fair. I can handle maintaining but not gaining. Forgot to say - follow LCHF.
Keep focusing on "Honi" not "Helga" you'll resume the downward weight drift soon:):)

Reactions: 4 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry to hear this Scandi after all your hard work, but there are some good possibilities mentioned by others on this thread. Many years ago when I went to weight watchers we were all told to measure thighs, arms, waist, neck etc. Then in weeks when we gained or didn't lose, to measure again because more often than not the measurements were down even if the weight was up. Don't panic, carry on, don't give up, and it will start coming off again.

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I can think of three possible reasons:

1. Weightloss plateau: from my observation weightloss tends to plateau from time to time, possibly reflecting the body adjusting. If neither of the other two reasons applies, this could be the answer, but if your BG is up it's less likely I think.

2. Increasing insulin resistance: in my case it's decreasing insulin production, but the effect would be the same, I think: low-ish carb foods that I used to manage have come to raise my BG. For me this includes parsnip, carrot, sweetcorn and tomato. Your meter will guide you.

3. Carb creep: often when I think I've achieved perfect control I relax and start eating, say a slice of birthday cake here, an after-dinner mint there and a G&T at the pub, until "occasional" treats torpedo my control. A different form of the same thing is mistaking ingredients, such as the time I drank a glass of grape juice with my dinner every night for a week in the mistaken belief it was wine.

Hang in there :)

Kate
I don't think it's mistaking ingredients, sadly.
Am hoping water retention as ankles really swollen. Now 13 st 6 so 1lb less. Am eating properly although today forgot lunch. Really desperate on way to get girls (then 3pm) so ate fillet of fish at McDonald's as had had nothing since breakfast and bs was 11.6 after eating fish in bread bun. No fries or drink. Aside from this and piece of birthday cake on Sunday have been very good. Since I was diagnosed 6 months ago, I have had 1 Thai curry with plain boiled rice. I learnt that rice is absolutely not a possibility for me. I have had one Indian with half a naan. Also not an option. I fish and chips. All of the portions of these take always were small child portion size. I can have Fish and chips (up to 8) as an occasional treat. I have had an egg mcmuffin with a hash brown and the fillet (both emergency situations) , 2 pieces of birthday cake, 1 piece of Mars bar cake , 2 bags of crisps. All of these things have been over 6 months. Bs 2 hours after fillet 14.7. Omg!

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Keep focusing on "Honi" not "Helga" you'll resume the downward weight drift soon:):)
Thank you for making me smile. Gave today's lunch away to colleague who forgot lunch yesterday then forgot to take new lunch. Last minute change to time table so couldn't collect girls and had to attend emergency meeting to get scheme of work and text book for maths (total lunacy as have never taught it so had to be shown where I could find some worksheets). No basic lessons so nothing I can adapt. Hungry and feeling ****. Stopped off at drive thru out of desperation. Now 3pm and no food sine brekkie! Bought fillet of fish. (Fish finger in bread bun) and bs went to 11.6. 2 hours later 14.7 I will never eat another one o these again. Ever. Didn't have drink or chips!

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I d
Thank you for making me smile. Gave today's lunch away to colleague who forgot lunch yesterday then forgot to take new lunch. Last minute change to time table so couldn't collect girls and had to attend emergency meeting to get scheme of work and text book for maths (total lunacy as have never taught it so had to be shown where I could find some worksheets). No basic lessons so nothing I can adapt. Hungry and feeling ****. Stopped off at drive thru out of desperation. Now 3pm and no food sine brekkie! Bought fillet of fish. (Fish finger in bread bun) and bs went to 11.6. 2 hours later 14.7 I will never eat another one o these again. Ever. Didn't have drink or chips!
It might be that high since you haven't eaten all day! I was told when I was ill that I MUST eat, even if it wasn't much -guess it could be the liver thinking it needs to provide you with a
'A little something extra?'

Reactions: 5 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I d

It might be that high since you haven't eaten all day! I was told when I was ill that I MUST eat, even if it wasn't much -guess it could be the liver thinking it needs to provide you with a
'A little something extra?'
Oh anie I wish it hadn't bothered! The last time it was that high was when I was diagnosed with fasting bloods. Infact my fasting bs was lower! Back down to 7.5 which is high for me but better than it was! Same happened the one time since I was diagnosed and had a curry with half a naan. I love bread but it doesn't love me! Nor rice. Nor pasta. Thank god for LCHF!

Reactions: 4 people