Odd hypo

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I quite often go low when out walking/running. At the moment it usually happens after about 3km of walking. I don't bother to check, just take a dextrose tab and I'm usually fine for another 3km.

Yesterday, I started the walk about 2.5hrs after lunch, glucose was 150mg/dl (8.3mmol/l), and turned my pump down to 20% .... at the start of the walk not earlier, I often do that.
At 3km , I felt low, I took a tab but didn't recover or at least the recovery only lasted for about 10min and I had to take another tab and another for the next 3km and it took longer than usual. Eventually with about 1.5k to go , I couldn't decide if I was really low or just didn't want to walk up the last hill. I just sat down and didn't want to move!. (the whole walk had 225m of climb, most of it in the later part ). My meter said 47 (2.6) and after another tab and I was able to get home with a glucose level of 60 (3.3mmol/l)

I just put it down to one of those things until this morning, I noticed that I had taken more insulin than usual yesterday. I checked the bolus history on my pump and found I had inadvertently taken my breakfast bolus twice (4 min apart!)
I wasn't hypo at lunch, I wasn't hypo when I started my walk; if anything I was relatively high, that extra insulin should have left my system long before I started my walk (it was 7 hours later)

I don't think that I'll ever work out why, but any suggestions welcome!

steven taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Double your breakfast dose can't have helped....:) I expect the hot weather could have had something to do with it as well though - always makes me more prone to a hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The only thing that I could think of is poor insulin absorption from the site where your insulin is administered, that can delay the release of insulin and lead to hypo's many hours after dosing.

However, sometimes there is no reasoning behind hypo's/hyper's Phoenix, better to forget about it and move on, just don't let it put you off as I know you enjoy your running and walking.