Liver ALT high

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all

Don't know if anyone else is having or has had the same problem.

I have been having blood tests on a regular basis and every time I do the liver comes back abnormal. Each time the ALT level is rising.

I was diagnosed back in October and was pumped full of metformin and gliclazide. I was then told last month they are not sure if I am diabetic. Would this medication of had an impact on my liver?

At the moment my side and back are very tender and I am on antibiotics.

Any feedback would begrateful

gorillamark

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Most increases in ALT levels are caused by liver damage. You can also be tested for aspartate aminotransferase (AST) levels both ALT and AST are considered to be reliable tests for liver damage. Perhaps you should ask for the AST test as a double-check. As knowing the ratio of AST to ALT sometimes can indicate whether the liver or another organ has been damaged.

I've never heard of metformin and gliclazide either singly or in combination causing liver damage but according to the NIH

"Clinically apparent liver injury from metformin is very rare, fewer than a dozen cases having been described in the literature despite widespread use of this agent for several decades."

(Source is here: http://livertox.nih.gov/Metformin.htm )

but I'm not a doctor or a nurse so the fact that I've never heard of them causing liver damage doesn't mean anything.

I do know one person who was told to stop taking all herbal preparations containing echinacea and valerian but she was also a recovering alcoholic. If you're taking supplements and/or herbal medicines as well as your prescription medications it might be an idea to stop them until the source of the elevated ALT levels is discovered.

Hope this helps.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Raised ALT can often be an indication of fatty liver - which can be caused by diet (as well as by alcohol). Hopefully you will be given imaging tests to establish if that is the case. Some of the problematic foods can be sodas, sugar and excess Omega-6 fats in the diet.

Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
LCHF, more exercise and less alcohol brought my ALT down from 51 iu/l in March to 17 now. I don't know if this helps in relation to your own condition.

Reactions: 4 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
LCHF, more exercise and less alcohol brought my ALT down from 51 iu/l in March to 17 now. I don't know if this helps in relation to your own condition.
I should have included mine since eating LCHF as well - ALT on diagnosis was 28 - last test was 12. My GGT (indicative of bile duct disease) was 69 now 22.

Reactions: 2 people