Should I tell my new boss?

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yes you need to tell them, sometimes you'll be in the office on your own. Also if you do viewings in a company car, they'll need to know for car insurance. And if its a chain of estate agents that have offices over a few places they may have a HR dept anyway.

Good luck though, it will be an experience.

And Debloubed, i would have had to say excuse me to the auditor and got the jelly babies out. and then if you're in a reasonably sized firm which it sounds like it is, definitely speak to HR, as that is not on at all. Stupid man.

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
This is a difficult one. A lot of times it asks medical questions on the application form - so you get to fill that part in then. If you lie then, then technically it's a sackable offence - so you can end up keeping it a secret if you chose not to divulge.

Sometimes the way the question is worded can make a difference, for example; Are there any medical conditions that could impact on your ability to do the job? (or something like that) - in which case it's more down to your opinion rather than outright fact.

Others may just ask; are you taking any medication for a existing medical condition? In which case to say no would be a lie.

Generally speaking I do not tell employers, I just lie and then have to keep it secret. I do this mainly because I think I won't get hired in the first place if I say yes.

G

graj0

Generally speaking I do not tell employers, I just lie and then have to keep it secret. I do this mainly because I think I won't get hired in the first place if I say yes.

Why complicate life? If they're the sort of employer who discriminates against anybody on medical grounds then they're probably not going to be a great employer. I really hate to think about the consequences of waiting for properly trained medics to arrive to diagnose a hypo for instance. Very silly methinks.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Unless there was a medical questionnaire or a medical prior to appointment then there is no legal obligation to inform them. However, I would always advise to let them know for all the reasons already mentioned, appts, hypo's, testing, injecting etc. I would not say anything straight away, I would get to know them a little first then, when you feel comfortable, let them know. Doesn't have to be a big deal and you can inform a select few if you like. Anyway, choice is yours. Good luck with new job :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

SugarBuzz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
**** doctors. Airport travel.
Why complicate life? If they're the sort of employer who discriminates against anybody on medical grounds then they're probably not going to be a great employer. I really hate to think about the consequences of waiting for properly trained medics to arrive to diagnose a hypo for instance. Very silly methinks.

I agree with you. Though it's somewhat naive to think that most employers don't discriminate.

Jobs are hard to come by. If it comes down to 2 (or more people) with the same work profile, experience, qualifications etc. then it's guaranteed that they will chose the person without the medical condition. That's life. I haven't been employed once when I've stated my medical condition on the application form............it's happened too many times to be a coincidence.

Adding to this, if you want to work further afield - say Japan, Korea or wherever.....they seem to have a paranoia about people with medical conditions - almost as if there is no such condition in their own countries (which of course is BS).

In such a competitive world having diabetes is a big negative for your CV. Cest la vie!

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree with you. Though it's somewhat naive to think that most employers don't discriminate.

Jobs are hard to come by. If it comes down to 2 (or more people) with the same work profile, experience, qualifications etc. then it's guaranteed that they will chose the person without the medical condition. That's life. I haven't been employed once when I've stated my medical condition on the application form............it's happened too many times to be a coincidence.

Adding to this, if you want to work further afield - say Japan, Korea or wherever.....they seem to have a paranoia about people with medical conditions - almost as if there is no such condition in their own countries (which of course is BS).

In such a competitive world having diabetes is a big negative for your CV. Cest la vie!

Yeah, ive thought that sometimes.. even though theyre not allowed to, theres nothing stopping them finding something petty to hold against you if it comes down to it... But we all have to hope we end up with nice fair bosses who do our interviews :p

Thank you so much everyone, it has made me feel a lot more confident in what I have to do :)

Sometimes its quite nice telling people, as they then recognise and admire at least some of the stuff you do every day to stay alive... and i mean really, we all need recognition :p because people dont always realise how much we have to do!

Reactions: 5 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
With the utmost respect. Some "norms" have their own issues... It's not always about ours....

G

graj0

it's somewhat naive to think that most employers don't discriminate. Just as well I didn't say that then. I worked in IT for 35 years, I worked for 8 or 9 companies as an employee and 30+ companies as a consultant, and it sounds like I was lucky in that whenever I interviewed people, the successful candidate was always obvious, getting 2 or more people with exactly the same experience, qualifications and personality never happened, and I wouldn't know their medical condition anyway. I would have expected to be informed after they started the job though.

steven taylor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would urge openness and honesty.

I was too coy about things in my first job and regretted it and after that decided to be more open. In general that has always worked for me since and it is quite liberating now to be able to openly shoot up at my desk....

HaroldC

Yes, absolutely, tell anyone and everyone. I've had dozens of jobs (in a professional office setting) it's never EVER been an issue. I treat it as "oh by the way, if I glaze over, look hot & sweaty & just say "yeah", I probably need something sugary. The glucose is in my desk, chocolate anything will do. It hardly ever happens and I usually sort it myself. It's type 1 diabetes" and then do the diabetes tutorial, show them the blood test kit, show them the pen (show them the pump now *cheesy grin*).
All my colleagues have been supportive and helpful. One or two are squeamish about blood - it's good to know who you can test in front of. Actually I've found it to be really quite a good icebreaker for a job.
Good on you for finding a new job and all the best. It's nowhere near as scary as you imagine - that my advice.
Simon :)

jay hay-char

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My background is in HR/Personnel. Just to reinforce what most people have said, I'd strongly recommend that you tell your boss and your colleagues. It's impossible to guarantee that you won't be discriminated against by any employer but I believe that the odds are against it, and because diabetes counts as a disability, you'd be likely to have a case for discrimination if you ran into problems.

As mentioned, lots of companies will ask you to fill out a medical questionnaire. This is for your protection (well, usually :)) so that they're aware of any adjustments they may have to make, in order to make allowance for your diabetes.

Even if you don't feel that you can tell your boss, you must tell the Office First Aider or "Designated Person". They will have to deal with you if there's a problem and, as well as delaying a diagnosis and putting yourself in unnecessary danger, it's not fair on them to serve up a crisis that they will have to cope with, when a quick conversation with them would have made life so much easier.

I hope the job goes well; I think it's highly unlikely you will have any problems.

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I am about to start my first full time job as an Estate Agent, and i was wondering if you think I should tell my new boss that I have type 1 diabetes?

If you think i should, then how should i bring it up if he doesnt ask? Do they normally ask about medical details etc?

Hi all,

I am about to start my first full time job as an Estate Agent, and i was wondering if you think I should tell my new boss that I have type 1 diabetes?

If you think i should, then how should i bring it up if he doesnt ask? Do they normally ask about medical details etc?

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, absolutely, tell anyone and everyone. I've had dozens of jobs (in a professional office setting) it's never EVER been an issue. I treat it as "oh by the way, if I glaze over, look hot & sweaty & just say "yeah", I probably need something sugary. The glucose is in my desk, chocolate anything will do. It hardly ever happens and I usually sort it myself. It's type 1 diabetes" and then do the diabetes tutorial, show them the blood test kit, show them the pen (show them the pump now *cheesy grin*).
All my colleagues have been supportive and helpful. One or two are squeamish about blood - it's good to know who you can test in front of. Actually I've found it to be really quite a good icebreaker for a job.
Good on you for finding a new job and all the best. It's nowhere near as scary as you imagine - that my advice.
Simon :)

Zoe king

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tell your boss and everyone else you don't want to collapse(god forbid)one day and no one have a clue as what to do with you.you may need snack breaks or just to have 5mins if your feeling low if it's a good place to work they will take it in there stride and you will have happy work place,good luck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You do not have to tell the boss, but I think it would be common sense to tell him/her or someone in the office so if you do have a Hypo they will as least know what to do about it.

Jelaca

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again everyone! It's me again :p

It's my second week into this new job, and I haven't found the right time/words to tell him D: Please tell me how I could do this, as I don't feel comfortable with just coming out with it... what else could I do to tell him?

Should I get my diabetes nurse to write a letter or something???

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello again everyone! It's me again :p

It's my second week into this new job, and I haven't found the right time/words to tell him D: Please tell me how I could do this, as I don't feel comfortable with just coming out with it... what else could I do to tell him?

Should I get my diabetes nurse to write a letter or something???
Did they ask you for medical history or do a questionnaire. If they did what did you put?

czj

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two weeks in is a perfect time to mention it. By now they have seen you are reliable and can be trusted. It's definitely best to do it soon though, or finding the words will become even harder if you put it off.

How about something straightforward like "I thought I should mention that I am diabetic. It shouldn't cause any problems, but I wondered if there is an office first aider that I should tell?". Your boss is likely to ask a bit more, but probably just because she or he is interested, not because they suddenly see you in a different light.

I hope the job is going well, by the way.

Loobles

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who interrupt you when you're talking and people who won't listen.
Is everyone not entitled to time off for clinic appointments?
I think you are, but they don't need to pay you for it. I get time off for mine (as in they wouldn't stop me going to any medical appointment) but i have to work the time back or take it unpaid.

I haven't read the entire thread so apologies if I've covered what everyone else has...

If I was your colleague I'd want to know, because if you were to have a hypo and need help, I'd be able to help you in a way that will actually improve the situation. In the event you collapsed, it's vital information to be able to give to the ambulance service etc.

About bringing it up...I'd see if you can get a diabetes information leaflet and take it into work and then just casually say "I've brought this in for you, just in case I ever need any help from you". That opens up the discussion and then you can follow it with "but I'm normally fine"....or whatever.