Metformin and diarrhea

jane6543

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Please, I am going camping and have to be on the move in the morning. I have regular diarrhea from Metformin and just wonder if for the duration of the holiday I could take something to help this? I am not new to diabetes and have had this for 3 years!

Randburg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Grey Cats
Hi,
If you have been having problems that long it may not agree with yoi.
I assume you take it with your meal, or just after?
You may ask your Dr to put you on the Slow Release version ( SR ), I when you get back ?
Don't know if taking something like Imodium would be safe, possibly someone else can help

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
As another alternative, you could consider stopping taking Metformin for the duration of your holiday and compensating by reducing your sugar and carbohydrate intake. Metformin has a very minimal effect on blood sugar levels, whereas avoiding carbohydrates / sugars / starches (that is, breakfast cereals, pasta, potatoes, anything made from flour, rice, couscous and the obvious sweets, cakes and biscuits) has a dramatic lowering effect.
Sally

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do ask for the SR version if you are not already on it. I agree with Sally and James that reducing the carbs has a much greater effect than Metformin so I would consider stopping it for the holiday if it's a problem