Confused with results for 3 monthly blood tests. nightmare.

south711

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
being a diabetic and finding restrictions.to life style. people who do not understand the problems one has. not being able to afford to come back to uk for holidays as often, quite expensive. miss some foods that the French do not do. but can live with that French drivers. who love to tail gate. and they love to drive over the white line. in rural areas they are a pain. but get use to it. does put the wind up you. But driving in the UK found that drivers want to get as close as they can. and the traffic. it took me 25 minutes to get to friends house which was less then a mile away. due to traffic.
Good morning. I just had my 3 monthly test for blood urine cholestral, etc.

Reading thru the results, totally confusing on some items,

They mention Microalbuminurie : looked it up and hope I am correct.......... but you never know it is something that involves the Kidneys?

The results were showing 61mg/1 10.85 mg/mmol . this is all new to me, does not sound good,
MY Creatinine urinaire was 5.62 mmol/1 0.64 g/1.

My question:- Reading the info regards the above, it states that kidneys could be struggling. I am sorry not familiar with all this, But what worries me is that they say if you take anti inflamantary medicine that can have an effect.

I have been on Warafin for 14 years, also blood pressure tablets.
plus small does of digoxine Just 1/2 tablet . plus Gliclazide 30 mg
Galvas, 50 mg

Can these medicines cause the problem with kidneys
How on earth does one sort it out.?
I keep reading the results, It just concerns me that I had never thought about.... regards the kidneys.

I have always since being on this forum, found that you all help, and have been on the low carb high fibre
and it has worked well, or so I thought.. but they say could be too much protein.

Hoping you can come with a few ideas, to put my mind at rest, thank you inadvance

Can anyone give me advice

C

catherinecherub

Hi,

You can do a drug interaction checker here as you have not listed all your medications.

http://ukhealthcare.uky.edu/druginteractionchecker.aspx?id=4294967314

2. Does kidney damage go away?
This will depend on the reason for the damage. The goal is to detect kidney disease and damage early to minimize the damage and prolong kidney function. If the proteinuria detected is due to a kidney infection or urinary tract infection, the kidneys frequently will return to normal as the infection resolves. If it is due to a medication, then in most cases the kidneys are likely to return to normal or near normal function when the medication is stopped.

http://www.labtestsonline.org.uk/understanding/analytes/urine-protein/tab/faq

Sometimes dehydration or excessive exercise will skew the results.

Hope this helps.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I queried my DSN when I had my annual tests a month or so back especially about the eGFR (kidney function) as my reading was 60 which is at the lower end of acceptable. I was told that even if the reading was above 60 then the result would always say 60 as that was the accepted minimum. I'm not sure I believed her but made a mental note to check again next year.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
microalbuminurie (ie the smallest protein particles) tested in a urine sample (enchantillon d'urine) . From what I read can be raised because of an infection, a contaminated sample (all to easy!) or of course too much protein not being filtered by the kidneys. (may be other reasons, they are the ones I have read about)
I'm not sure about the units in your creatinine result, mine uses mg/l and µmol/L but this result doesn't have a reference range since it is dependent on various things such as hydration and exercise.

If you had a blood test for kidney function (e GFR ) at the same time then this would give you more information on how well your kidneys are functioning. This is detailed in Jack's link .

Mine is labelled Clairance(MDRD) en ml/min/1,73m2
( and just in case, it also says that if you are afro-americaine the result has to be multiplied by 1.21)

If you have slightly reduced function, the thing that they tend to stress is blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
Diet recommended is not necessarily low protein but not high protein either http://www.edren.org/pages/edreninfo/diet-in-renal-disease/diet-for-the-failing-kidney-and-ckd.php

Last edited by a moderator:

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I queried my DSN when I had my annual tests a month or so back especially about the eGFR (kidney function) as my reading was 60 which is at the lower end of acceptable. I was told that even if the reading was above 60 then the result would always say 60 as that was the accepted minimum. I'm not sure I believed her but made a mental note to check again next year.
She is wrong, >90 is a normal eGFR blood test kidney printout, my last result was eGFR was 89
but you may not have kidney disease

www.kidney.org.au/kidneydisease/tabid/578/default.aspx
Stage 1: A normal GFR greater than or equal to 90 mL/min/1.73m2
Stage 2: Slightly decreased GFR between 60‐89 mL/min/1.73m2

If your kidney function is at stage 1 or 2, you only have CKD if you have albuminuria, haematuria, a pathological abnormality or a structural abnormality.

Stage 3a: Mild‐moderate decrease in GFR between 45‐59 mL/min/1.73m2
Stage 3b: Moderate‐severe decrease in GFR between 30‐44 mL/min/1.73m2

Stage 4: Severe decrease in GFR between 15-29 mL/min/1.73m2
Stage 5: Kidney failure as GFR decreases to less than 15 mL/min/1.73m2or dialysis is started

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Aren't you going to be having a review of the test results with your GP? If not, I'd certainly be asking for an appointment to discuss your concerns.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Here we are. This seems to be a normal way of reporting results in the UK
Because eGFR estimation is not very accurate at near-normal levels of kidney function, many labs only report eGFR >60
- See more at: http://www.renal.org/information-resources/the-uk-eckd-guide/normal-gfr#sthash.WLg6JJvb.dpuf

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people