I'm being tested for Diabetes and confused with the readings

bjsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi, I had a fasting blood result of 7.4 so my doctor asked me to do a glucose tolerance test, I'm waiting for the results.
Are you automatically Diabetic if your fasting result is over 7.0 or does it depend on the result 2 hours after the glucose drink?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The fasting level of 7.4 is indicative of diabetes but not reliable enough to be used as a diagnosis, which is why you are having another test. Depending on the result of the GTT you may have an HbA1c test. Let us know how you get on.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is a blood test, possibly done at the same time as your first test or maybe still to come. It averages your levels over the previous 2 to 3 months, and is the test used for diabetes diagnosis.

bjsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've got my results today, 7.1 fasting and 12.3 after glucose. The doctor wants another fasting test on Thursday. What do you think?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not a doctor, none of us is, so we can't diagnose you. However, the evidence is strongly in favour of you being diabetic in my opinion.
Over 6 for a fasting test and over 11 in the glucose test are indicative of diabetes. Have you had an HbA1c test - that is the test used for a definitive diagnosis.

bjsingh

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'll ask about the Hb1c test when I go on Thursday. I'll let you know what happens, thanks bluetit!

Reactions: 2 people

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
I've got my results today, 7.1 fasting and 12.3 after glucose. The doctor wants another fasting test on Thursday. What do you think?
Repeating my reply from your other topic.

Those results are quite clear. If your doctor is competent you are about to be told you have diabetes, most likely type 2 diabetes. While you wait for that advice please read this: Getting Started