Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Mushrooms
Garlic bread
Walking up steep hills
Zand Connie it must have been one of those days, I have a wrap and a twix at lunchtime and a freddo and a bit of chocolate cake at lunchtime. I promise to be good tomorrow too.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 5 people

paulins

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Feeling I can never eat anything sweet again or anything with carbs. But thought of diabetes complications scares me more so it is a no brainer!
Take it a day at a time @zand - and just accept we are all human, and we will all have bad days when we just can't seem to help ourselves. But we can start fresh the next day! So, don't be too hard on yourself, celebrate what you have already achieved (which is a lot!) and set yourself realistic, short-term targets and goals. That way it will be manageable and you won't feel so overwhelmed all the time. It took us years to get here, so we might need some time to get back to where we want and need to be. We are all on the same journey which I find so supportive.

Reactions: 8 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just fished the wrappers out of the bin and added together with the rest of the food I've eaten today it comes to 2110 calories....and I'm meant to be having at least 1200, so that's not too awful is it?

Thanks, I just haven't binged for so long it really threw me this time.

Yes, drink the drink...I've just started using myfitnesspal to calculate the rest of my food today and that will remind me to drink enough from now on.

Yay, thanks everyone I'm back again:)
Oh ... Now I'm going to have you prosecuted under the trade descriptions act!!!

Only 2110!!! No problemo!!!

Binge!? BINGE!? Now there's binge and then there's binge.

Try two 12 " deep pan pizzas, a 12 pack of assorted crisps and 2 boxes of Jaffa cakes ... Give or take a chocolate trifle.

I used to go to the supermarket and load up a basket full of things, for the specific purpose of eating the lot.

I was the queen of binge. I did that several times a week. Every night was a carb fest.

I've just deleted several paragraphs detailing what I used to eat. It was making me feel ill!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh ... Now I'm going to have you prosecuted under the trade descriptions act!!!

Only 2110!!! No problemo!!!

Binge!? BINGE!? Now there's binge and then there's binge.

Try two 12 " deep pan pizzas, a 12 pack of assorted crisps and 2 boxes of Jaffa cakes ... Give or take a chocolate trifle.

I used to go to the supermarket and load up a basket full of things, for the specific purpose of eating the lot.

I was the queen of binge. I did that several times a week. Every night was a carb fest.

I've just deleted several paragraphs detailing what I used to eat. It was making me feel I'll!!!

Don't mention jaffa cakes...I bought a box for the boys today and if anything is going to tempt me it is jaffa cakes. After I had youngest son I had an overactive thyroid and lost loads of weight. I used to eat loads of jaffa cakes, unfortunately when the thyroid corrected itself I carried on eating the jaffa cakes...missed opportunity to stay thin or what!

off to get a cup of tea and 85% chocolate to resist the jaffa cakes:)

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't mention jaffa cakes...I bought a box for the boys today and if anything is going to tempt me it is jaffa cakes. After I had youngest son I had an overactive thyroid and lost loads of weight. I used to eat loads of jaffa cakes, unfortunately when the thyroid corrected itself I carried on eating the jaffa cakes...missed opportunity to stay thin or what!

off to get a cup of tea and 85% chocolate to resist the jaffa cakes:)

Last year, I made a mega Jaffa cake for my OH, to celebrate something or the other. It was a sponge base, topped with orange jelly, and a very firm chocolate ganache on top. Erm,...... Why did I feel the need to describe a Jaffa Cake?!??

Anyway, with your culinary skills, I bet you could recreate that in a low carb way, if you set your mind to it. The secret for the original was ensuring the ganache was cool enough not to melt the orange jelly, or it went rather slithery. Don't ask exactly how I know this. If you want, I'll trawl for the recipe, but probably not required. :)

Reactions: 3 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Last year, I made a mega Jaffa cake for my OH, to celebrate something or the other. It was a sponge base, topped with orange jelly, and a very firm chocolate ganache on top. Erm,...... Why did I feel the need to describe a Jaffa Cake?!??

Anyway, with your culinary skills, I bet you could recreate that in a low carb way, if you set your mind to it. The secret for the original was ensuring the ganache was cool enough not to melt the orange jelly, or it went rather slithery. Don't ask exactly how I know this. If you want, I'll trawl for the recipe, but probably not required. :)

That sounds like a good project:) however me and culinary skills do not go together! My hubby would roll about laughing if I told him that :)

Reactions: 2 people

Debmcgee

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
We've all done it and so please don't lose heart. Glad to hear you're back on track. Bloody food just isn't nourishment these days - it's our friend, our shoulder to cry on, our prop at times - and whilst we can curb the temptation most days, there are times when we will slip. It's just life.

I'm wondering whether you should allow yourself a day once a month where you can have more treats? I was doing that and would choose the really bad stuff like pizza or Chinese and plan for it. I wouldn't expect to lose weight that week but I had something else to look forward to other than what the scales said.

I HATE summer. Like really hate it. Exercise is impossible, kids are under my feet and I'm always skint so getting motivated to exercise is so much harder. I've decided to go easy on myself until September. I'll still eat properly and avoid the carbs but I'm not weighing myself religiously as it just pisses me off!!

I've got to be careful though that I don't slip up and eat badly because I'm being easier on myself.....

I feel like every week counts so I should be losing weight constantly as I've run out of time but in reality, if it takes longer then so be it. I've been fat forever anyway so what's a couple of weeks delay?!

I wish we could all drop the weight faster but we can't. I've been on so many diets, I think my metabolism doesn't know if it's coming or going.

We can only try our best.

Anyway, I bet you won't be eating Turkish delight again anytime soon...;)

X

Diagnosed prediabetic Easter 2014. Just left to get on with it, no guidance or help from GP. Every day I'm learning something new.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
lol, no I won't be eating it again for a very long time!

I don't do well with the 'once in a while treat' frame of mind. I might manage it if there is a special occasion but otherwise I steer clear altogether because once I start I can't stop. It's like the 'eat little and often' thing....I've read so many times that that works for others, but it just doesn't work for me, I just want to eat more and more. So I stick to 3 meals usually...in fact I did that yesterday......it's just that lunch contained all that junk! - but I did eat the healthy lunch I had prepared earlier for my evening meal instead.

I don't believe it's still so dark!.......I wanted to go out walking right now before it gets too hot.:(

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my fasting BG this morning was 6.5 and after a 45 min walk (moderate pace) it was still 6.5.

I want to explain my comments about the heat. To do that I'll tell you about a trip to Berlin a few years back. It was November, there was snow on the ground although it didn't snow while we were there. Everyone was wearing coats (double layered), hats gloves and scarves and they're more used to having colder winters than us in this country. I wore jeans, T-shirt and jumper. After walking for 10 mins or so, I took the jumper off and had bare arms. Yes I got some funny looks! - but I was uncomfortably hot wearing the jumper. So, this is why I really do struggle in the Summer when it's hot and humid, and that's also why I prefer to get up early mornings to walk while it's still cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 5 people

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning today is the start of the our new regime so good luck to us all who are struggling . Funny you mentioned Turkish delight I had not eaten any for years and this week I bought a square of frys Turkish delight and ate it in 2 mouthfuls! Naughty but so nice !!

Reactions: 3 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning Connie. Yes today....I don't think I'll be perfect but I will be a lot better than yesterday! :)

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So that's 4 of us starting again from today! I'm so glad I confessed all yesterday instead of running away!;):)