Advice needed

rbccreeves

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Sooo my bestie is training to be a OHT (occupational health technician) so i agreed to be her guinea pig like the great friend I am part of the test is blood test for glucose we did it late at night id eaten bout 3 hrs previous and had just downed a red-bull and my levels came up as 17.1 high i know so it was suggested we wait till I could do a fasting test witch we did 7 days later we tested twice and they both came up as 12.1 . I know i need to go to the doctors but bascically my question is how urgent is this and should I wait and talk to the doc about it at my monthly app in 2 weeks time or should i go straight away ??o_O

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would go straight away.

The monthly appt is presumably organised for other stuff?

Besides, it may take a while to get the doctor to arrange the blood test appt with the nurse, and the results back. And then an appointment when they tell you about the disease...

Levels between 10 and 20 aren't life threatening, but you want things sorted ASAP. The longer you leave things, the more damage you are doing to your body.

Have a look for what normal levels should be...

My practice nurse said 'if your fasting blood glucose levels go above 12, come back and see me immediately!'
One of the few bits of good advice she has ever given me!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @Brunneria.

As a matter of interest, did you eat normally between the very first test and the first fasting, or did you modify your diet at all? Similarly with the second fasting test?

rbccreeves

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Yes my docs is a diff topic chronic sciatica caused by being obese ( used to be super morbidly obese 5st gone 6 to go !!:happy:)
I ate as I normally do low fat low carb milarcy due to my weight loss plan we have in place the only treats I have are my drinks one one big weakness
Iknow i should go could be a chance theres something else going on and they tell me im not diabetic just being a hypochondriac like my mother

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree, the sooner you go the sooner you can start to take control. The longer you leave it, the more damage you are doing to yourself by having high blood sugars. Diabetes complications are not pleasant.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Yes you do need to see a GP. As already stated it will take time to arrange for bloods to be taken, get the results and then an apointment with the Diabetic Nurse, if needed. One word of advice, I used to love Red Bull but now no longer drink them as they are full of sugar - just read the label!

TooSweetForMe

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I would also have to agree that you should go in as soon as you can get an appointment.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, see the GP soon as the levels are quite high. Keep up the low-carb diet which should help with both weight and blood sugar loss

Alan S

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Snake oil salespeople and other slime who try to profit from our condition.
my levels came up as 17.1 high i know so it was suggested we wait till I could do a fasting test witch we did 7 days later we tested twice and they both came up as 12.1 . I know i need to go to the doctors but bascically my question is how urgent is this and should I wait and talk to the doc about it at my monthly app in 2 weeks time or should i go straight away ??o_O

Joining the chorus.

Go immediately. Come back to let us know which type of diabetes is diagnosed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's a shock to start with, but there is lots of help here

rbccreeves

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thank you all finally plucked up the courage and have now been told im deffinatley diabetic currently running diagnostic meds to see what type i am bummer as was supposed to be going away wed but the doc says im unfit to travel and have had to cancel head is spinning v scary but am taking it as the push I need to change my lifestyle for the better x