Am i the youngest one here?

sweet_pea

Heya

Its nice to hear that there is younger ppl out there with diabetes, i am 19 myself. It would be nice to chat to you all.

nope i am 12 :p:mrgreen::mrgreen:<font color="red"></font id="red">l<font color="blue"></font id="blue">o<font color="purple"></font id="purple">l

hollie xxxx

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
does being 18 in my head account for anything?

nah?

dang

Leosrme

Though I am at the advanced age of (physically) 52 and (mentally) around 25 I contracted diabetes when I was 14. I thought my life had ended. In those days, things were not so enlightened as they are now. I attended the diabetic clinic at Kings college Hospital where the doctors told you what to do and you had no input in the matter. The blood they took at the clinic was out of your ear lobe when they stabbed it with a needle, and the first time I had that done, I fainted as I was so terrified of needles. My mum told the doctors that they should try not to make me have daily injections as I had a needle phobia and I would never comply and give myself jabs.

Eventually, I had to go onto insulin and somehow they managed to persuade me to give myself twice daily injections. We used glass and metal syringes that were kept in a special case of methylated spirit to keep them sterilised. Each needle was used until they were too blunt to use any longer and they were very long! :shock: (When I went into hospital for an operation in around 2000, there was an elderly lady on the ward who was still using a glass and metal syringe - I can't imagine it now!)

When disposable syrginges became available in the eighties, I thought it was marvellous! We had to pay for them though. Then the government decided they should be free.

When the Novopen came out it was absolutely wonderful. Again, though, I had to buy my first Pen and I also had to pay for the needles until the Goverment again decided they should be free.

With the Novopen, I started on four jabs a day which changed my life beyond recognition and freed me from watching the clock, having to eat rigidly on time - and eating mid morning and mid afternoon snacks which I always hated having to do. It was wonderful. I felt so liberated. :lol:

AND just don't get me started on how fantastic it was when I got my first blood testing machine. It was so wonderful! No more trying to match the colours on the stupid test strips!

For young people who are discoveirng they have diabetes in this day and age, I think that things for them are so much better. Doctors are so much more enlightened about treatment and there are so many things to help make life easier Of course, no matter how many things you have to make managing diabetes easier, mentally, its tough when you are young to cope with all that having diabetes involves and I still remember this vividly.

Two small pieces of advice from an old hand:

1. Don't refer to yourself as "A Dabetic" or let others do so. This is NOT all that you are. You are someone who has diabetes - there's a difference.

2. Don't let diabetes run your life. Make diabetes fit in with your life.

I learned this from long experience because when I was young - it took over and my life was miserable. I was even suicidal at one time in my early twenties because of it. I couldn't deal with the whole thing - none of my doctors seemed to notice this and I didn't get any help in this regard.

Bren :wink:

Reactions: 6 people

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Bren - your words are inspirational - not just for our younger members ... thank you xxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm a Grandma, but I have been sending messages to children( younger teens)on this forum, so none of you older teens is the youngest. And there are mums writing on behalf of their pre-school and junior school children

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Chloe AKA Flojo is 10 and a very articulate, mature 10.

Jimbo1973

Dislikes
Beetroot, Cucumber, Radish, Prawns - and arrogant people that have no understanding of how ill you can really be without looking ill
I recentluy turned *cough cough* 21 (ok I lied i'm really 35) but am soooooooo immature sometimes i'm often thought of as a 10 year old rofl - Hell life is way too short to waste it on boring stuff every day.
As for advice - i'll take it from anybody on here irrespective of age, race, colour or creed - at the end of the day we are all one big family (can't you JUST FEEL the love im permeating here)

I'm feeling so damned good today it's unbelievable

Jimbo

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I suspect Chloe, (Flojo) at 10 is the youngest regular poster. She seems wonderful!

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
So that would be why this place has such a nice family atmosphere! So refreshing. I'm 31... so I suspect I am not in the running for youngest poster. But I am the cutest... (yeah right :lol: )

suzil

Dislikes
rude people, intolerances of different life styles, migraines and getting old!
so much for the babies anyone going for who is the oldest here? I am proud to say I'm 55. Come on all you oldies lets go up in age and find out who is going to be brave about their age!

Suzil

bonus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Though I am at the advanced age of (physically) 52 and (mentally) around 25 I contracted diabetes when I was 14. I thought my life had ended. In those days, things were not so enlightened as they are now. I attended the diabetic clinic at Kings college Hospital where the doctors told you what to do and you had no input in the matter. The blood they took at the clinic was out of your ear lobe when they stabbed it with a needle, and the first time I had that done, I fainted as I was so terrified of needles. My mum told the doctors that they should try not to make me have daily injections as I had a needle phobia and I would never comply and give myself jabs.

Eventually, I had to go onto insulin and somehow they managed to persuade me to give myself twice daily injections. We used glass and metal syringes that were kept in a special case of methylated spirit to keep them sterilised. Each needle was used until they were too blunt to use any longer and they were very long! :shock: (When I went into hospital for an operation in around 2000, there was an elderly lady on the ward who was still using a glass and metal syringe - I can't imagine it now!)

When disposable syrginges became available in the eighties, I thought it was marvellous! We had to pay for them though. Then the government decided they should be free.

When the Novopen came out it was absolutely wonderful. Again, though, I had to buy my first Pen and I also had to pay for the needles until the Goverment again decided they should be free.

With the Novopen, I started on four jabs a day which changed my life beyond recognition and freed me from watching the clock, having to eat rigidly on time - and eating mid morning and mid afternoon snacks which I always hated having to do. It was wonderful. I felt so liberated. :lol:

AND just don't get me started on how fantastic it was when I got my first blood testing machine. It was so wonderful! No more trying to match the colours on the stupid test strips!

For young people who are discoveirng they have diabetes in this day and age, I think that things for them are so much better. Doctors are so much more enlightened about treatment and there are so many things to help make life easier Of course, no matter how many things you have to make managing diabetes easier, mentally, its tough when you are young to cope with all that having diabetes involves and I still remember this vividly.

Two small pieces of advice from an old hand:

1. Don't refer to yourself as "A Dabetic" or let others do so. This is NOT all that you are. You are someone who has diabetes - there's a difference.

2. Don't let diabetes run your life. Make diabetes fit in with your life.

I learned this from long experience because when I was young - it took over and my life was miserable. I was even suicidal at one time in my early twenties because of it. I couldn't deal with the whole thing - none of my doctors seemed to notice this and I didn't get any help in this regard.

Bren :wink:

A fantastic post and great reading!!

As we have all gained a few years from this being one of my first posts, but are all the members that commented on here still on the forum??

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
Turned into a truly interesting thread with so many
interesting and encouraging posts, Aidy.

Nice one.
tus.gif

neg.jpg

willie.