Diagnosed as Type 2 in May

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm feeling a bit rubbish just now. Tested two hours after lunch and my BG was 5.8. I had a few blueberries and some sliced meats to see if that picks me up a bit as I was hungry too. Feeling even more headachey, clammy and anxious now so tested and got 6.5. Are these figures not within the acceptable level? Have I come down too quickly from the numbers my body is used to?
There are so many reasons you could be feeling off, including that which you suggest. So, I would suggest you chalk this one up to experience, for now. You could try something else to eat, but try not to go overboard. Heading for pizza, pasta, chips or whatever has the potential to just start you on a revolving door of binge/reactive eating. I feel rubbish, therefore, I binge, therefore I feel rubbish, and so on it goes. Go gently.

I am assuming you are recording all your blood scores and everything you are eating and drinking? If so, this gives you the data to review should you have another episode like this one. It could indicate not eating enough (calories), or a particular food causing issues, or, in my case, it was coffee. Stronger coffee now makes me feel rubbish, whereas before I could tolerate that before.

It's early days and with diabetes not everything has a clear reason; and particularly not this early in your journey. It's a case of test, record, review and amend where necessary. Most of us have made changes incrementally over a period of month. If only it was simple.........

Reactions: 4 people

whiskymark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Okay, had turkey and avocado for dinner. Might have a wee bit of blue cheese too. No pizza. Feeling a bit better now so might test again shortly to see if there's any difference. Thanks for all the replies.

Reactions: 3 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, do get hold of a meter. The NHS says you don't need one to save money not to help you manage the diabetes. Your readings are pretty good. Ref being slim it is an indicator towards islet cell deterioration rather than insulin resistance in which case Gliclazide is preferred. It is a bit difficult knowing whether you have visceral fat but if you have always been slim like I have with a reasonable diet then visceral fat is less likely to any degree but possible. If the Gliclazide helps reduce the blood sugar then it's worth continuing it at least for a while. I was kept on Metformin from the beginning as well as Glic and Sitaglitpin until none of them worked. I think all you can do is follow the low-carb diet and as your blood sugar becomes stable or even better then look at reducing the Gliclazide. If the blood sugar gradually goes up over the coming months despite the low carb diet then ask for tests for LADA.

mendelsohn33

I have been T2 for 18 years, on insulin for 3. The real work with it comes in NOT giving into the urges. They really ruin you in the long run - harder to get back on track, numbers go crazy (if not the first time, be assured they will in time). The urges are really **** for your body. This disease does not get better. The complications can be horrendous - and you definitely want to avoid them. I once asked my doctor that is I kept my glucose in excellent control, could I avoid the complications. The answer was NO. As depressing as it may seem, this illness is down hill all the way. Keep exercising, avoid the junk food, and eat right. That won't take diabetes away, but will delay the complications. It takes alot of discipline to eat right and exercise. There is absolutely no other way out of this illness. Every time you put junk food in your mouth, you are setting up for complications. (stinky but true). Exercising will help eliminate cravings, hunger and give your body a real boost. My son runs 1/2 marathons alot and everywhere. He takes 2-3 medications plus long acting insulin daily. Take care of yourself so you don't get into that spot. There is no "get out of jaill" card for this one. I wish darn there were, but it has not been found yet. Best of luck!!

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm feeling a bit rubbish just now. Tested two hours after lunch and my BG was 5.8. I had a few blueberries and some sliced meats to see if that picks me up a bit as I was hungry too. Feeling even more headachey, clammy and anxious now so tested and got 6.5. Are these figures not within the acceptable level? Have I come down too quickly from the numbers my body is used to?
If you search the forum for "false hypos" you'll find quite a lot of discussion about the phenomenon.

It's basically what you're describing - lowering your levels quickly from the numbers your body is used to.

Reactions: 2 people

whiskymark

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for the replies. All really helpful. I guess it all just takes time.

If you search the forum for "false hypos" you'll find quite a lot of discussion about the phenomenon.

It's basically what you're describing - lowering your levels quickly from the numbers your body is used to.

Aha! That sounds like it could be what I'm experiencing. I will give that a read. Thanks!