DAFNE!!

Kerry-Michelle

@Jaylee wow thanks for commenting! Your comment really interested me!! I also have musical theatre training and have been singing since I was 5 years old :) I've only had type 1 for 2 years 3 months haha (I'm keeping count) ;) I noticed on Saturday night during my gig my sugars rose a lot to 22mmols I've done three gigs this weekend and knackered myself out.. Obviously I've been a bit more conscious now with checking my sugars as they've come down by half and my body is getting used to it still.. But Friday night I was fine.. But Saturday which was the second gig my band and I did my sugars shot up with no carbs to make me rise and I only drink water when gigging so it wasn't an accidental mix up in drinks but I corrected with 8 units of novo rapid but three hours after my gig I just dropped to 3.0mmols..

I've never noticed a drop like that before but I was used to being high and my DSN and nurses that were supposed to be supporting me weren't and I didn't know what to do even after trying every way possible to contact them and get some guidance but to no avail there was nothing I even begged them to put me on the DAFNE course because I read on some sites that it's really good and helps you lots which it has done! Now I have support from a different DSN and a dietician who taught me on my course and they're fantastic!!

I love gigging it's who I am but I just got a little concerned about my sugars rising I'm thinking it's probably just a one off but I shall see next weekend as I have a gig Friday night my best friends wedding Saturday day time and a big gig Saturday night so I will see what happens!!

Jaylee you mentioned that you your? What's your band called?

I hope everyone is having a lovely day today :)

Many thanks guys!! :)

Kerry x

What i

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep, yer average DSN won't understand the show biz... Funny enough, I came in from a gig last night when I was alerted to this thread...

I also replenish with water as well as the "emergency" fat coke jusincase.. Though for the same reason I don't eat before a gig, I try not to over indulge the fluid due to bloating/diaphram restriction on breathing ect.... @22mmols? I'd probably want to guzzle a fair bit of water? Hence keeping constant around 6 is ideal for me..
It could have been the "one off" for you certainly worth keeping an eye on..

My bands..? Blimey I'm in 3... A metal cover outfit that tends to zip across the "M4 corridor". Another out fit the that centres around Gloucester aria..
.. & then this "euro metal" "NWOBHM" act called Jaguar with a reasonable fan base, knocking out our own tunes...
I spent 3 years at Laine theatre arts dance college. Originally wanted to be an "actor", then quite by accident wound up in Rock/metal/punk bands writing stupid songs....
I actually resigned myself back in my mid 20's that at this point in my life I'd be a "fat bloke" wheezing up ladders to clean windows, or one of those "sour" premisis managers?
But life just seems to get more interesting with a new record deal on the table from a German label....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Blimey 3 bands Jaylee :eek:

Life in the fast lane buddy :)

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kerry - this is really helpful and good news as I am starting a Dafne course on Monday :) My diabetes nurse has been very helpful but says its good to go on this and meet others. I've also been having a few problems, mainly highs in the hot weather so hopefully it will be better controlled after.

I've just had a pre-dafne blood test for it today - do they go over your HBAC1 levels? I'm worried this will be high after the last few days...

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I graduated from DAFNE back in January of 2009...........

changed my diabetic life as before it I was on a twice a day mixed insulin which I could easily forget to take..........I never tested my blood sugar either.........

DAFNE presented it all in a clear and methodical way which appealed to my technical nature and I never looked back........

Since then I evolved my insulin regime and tactics to try and get my HbA1c down but it wasn't enough, so now I am on the pump.......

It is education every type 1 should get, either in DAFNE form or one of the many other local varieties.....

it wont solve all your problems but it will set you off in the right direction.....

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've just had a pre-dafne blood test for it today - do they go over your HBAC1 levels? I'm worried this will be high after the last few days...

Not during the course itself unless you ask for your results and want to discuss it. The pre-DFANE reading is used to compare results in the weeks following the course itself, we met up 6 weeks post-DAFNE and had to have bloods taken the week beforehand.

Leescott2301

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot recommend DAFNE highly enough, all diabetics should be able to attend this course, I was always in double figures until January of this year when I attended the course.

Since then all good single figures (odd one not when miscounting carbs).

It as people say excellent to meet other diabetics over the course of the week and nice to know you're not on your own.

Takes a little time to get your ratios of insulin to carbs and your background insulin a right but once a little effort put it makes controlling your diabetes much easier.

For info I've been type 1 for 11 years after getting this at 28 and now feel much more in control.

Anyone who gets the chance to do DAFNE then do it.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

Kerry-Michelle

Wow guys thanks for all the replies!! :)

I am now four weeks after DAFNE and my control has been AMAZING!!! It's such a shock to me I do find recently that I've been watching my food intake more and I've been exercising more but haven't lost any weight yet but hoping I will soon as I am upping my fitness regime as I am a bit fitter than previously..

I have still been trying to get this carb malarkey sorted out I've been doing well but have the occasional hiccup with it.. I find that I'm over calculating even when using the carb and cals book and labels on the back of foods. Which has resulted in me being under target and I've had a lot more hypos recently not dangerously low but I've had a few I've not even noticed until I'm at 2.3mmols I now notice when I'm high I get really bad headaches at 12mmols or above which is good as they DAFNE nurses wanted to get my hyper awareness back as I didn't even feel I was high when my sugars got to 15mmols my hypo awareness has fallen now I used to feel hypo at 6mmols but now it's below 3.5mmols most of the time..

I struggle with work at the moment.. I am a nursery nurse so I am constantly active with the children running around with them and doing my job that I have found by 3pm when the children have their afternoon snack I'm having to have a snack like some fruit at the same time because my sugars have dropped lots.. I try not to snack as I have my lunch at 11, 12 or 1pm depending what shift I am on but I just have a banana and I'm fine for my snack,

I am really eager to see what my hba1c is at now as in may I was at 9 but I'm thinking since DAFNE and my 1.5:1 ratio has brought me down I'm hoping it's going to be around target but to me any change will be a plus!

I just want to lose all the weight I've gained since being on insulin pre diabetes I was a size 10-12 but 11 stone to me that's still heavy but I was healthy other than the diabeties messing me around then when I was put on 24 units of Insuman basal and 36 units of novo rapid (12 every meal) I just gained weight rapidly and I've struggled to get it off! I'm now on 11units of levemir and still novo rapid but that changes depending on carb intake and sugars previous to eating.. I'm currently a size 16 shameful I know but I'm struggling losing the weight it's so hard because some months I lose several pounds then other months I'm back to where I was I don't eat many carbs really at the weekends I stick to my diet low carb low fat I tend to have a 40g serving of cereal in the morning for lunch I have 40-50g of carbs and then dinner I have 40g this is what I discussed with my DAFNE team and I find if I eat less than my normal intake of carbs I have really bad lows and end up eating more which I don't want to do.. I don't eat big meals I do have a "cheat dinner" and that's when me and the other half have date night we tend to go to the cinema and have a meal out and I tend to have the same which I've learnt to inject for and I get that perfect with the sugars now so it's not a big affect on my diet because I still go for a lower carb and healthier option.

Anyway sorry for rambling /: in other news I have my 6 week check up on the 19th of August! :) yayyyy!! I'm really looking forward to it! :)

I hope everyone is well and enjoying the summer!

And I also hope that many of you aren't affected by this weather we have had..

All the best!

Kerry xx

Kathryn321

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I've just finished the dafne course this week and it was really useful. Seem to have carb counting sorted. I've only been diagnosed about 7 months and have put weight on too. I used to exercise a lot more but find it difficult with gb levels up and down. Sounds like you're doing great. I hope mine will be more balanced when I'm back to my usual routine x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am waiting to do the course and I can't wait to get to grips with things

serendipity

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type