Annual review results...

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just received the results of my (rather early!) annual review - some good, some not so....

They arrived in a little printed list, together with some space for me to fill in ideas on goal setting & action plans, to be thought about in preparation for my "Diabetes Planning Appointment" no less.

HbA1c is still dropping - from 60-61 last November to 40 this month so well pleased specially since my own BG test results are rather higher than I'd wish for - particularly my pre meal levels which are often above the targets I've been able set myself since I got my new Contour Next meter. I don't get many real spikes at all after meals, but I really want to see lower pre meal results before I feel properly in control.

Blood pressure is slightly up, but it's always been on the highish side from well before pre-diabetes days.

Cholersterol is back up to just below where it was in Novemeber but (a) I believe my very low level of 2.7 in Feb was rather too low, and (b) because of this I've without permission stopped taking my Simvastatin pills - I was worried it would keep on going down. Last time I saw my doctor he also gave me my LDL and HDL figures, which weren't included on my form, and weren't available either when I phoned the receptionist this afternoon, and I believe these are supposed to be more important/informative?

Weight is more or less refusing to budge, I've gone down less than 2kg since March after my massive early loss.

Kidneys, eyes, and feet - no diabetic problems. But I am getting possible problems with my hands which concerns me rather more than do my feet.

I get to see our practice diabetic doctor middle of next month to discuss stuff - I 've not seen him before - previously just my normal GP and the diabetic nurse (who didn't actually do my check up this time!).

Robbity

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news re. A1c.

Since you're on metformin, it may be wise to get your B12 level tested as metformin is known to interfere with absorption. B12 can be associated with neuropathy so might be connected to your hand problem?

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
How patronising! Or am I the only person who thinks that! Hba1c is great but if you want to stay off the statins ask for your triglycerides as well as your HDL and LDL.if your hdh is 1.3 or above and your triglycerides are below 1 then you can point this out . For example, my cholestrol was 7.4. My HDL was 1.3 my LDL 6 and triglycerides 0.6 and it was that which convinced my doc. He didn't like the LDL so I have cut down on processed meat (halved sausage intake for brekkie and upped egg intake. ) hope this helps. My hba1c was 37. Good luck!

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great news re. A1c.

Since you're on metformin, it may be wise to get your B12 level tested as metformin is known to interfere with absorption. B12 can be associated with neuropathy so might be connected to your hand problem?

Thanks, I'll make a note to remember to ask - my hands are driving me spare at the moment as I can feel things OK but am dropping stuff all over the place, and I'm sure I've learned some new cuss words in the process, and it certainly doesn't help either my temper or my blood pressure!

Robbity

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Thanks, I'll make a note to remember to ask - my hands are driving me spare at the moment as I can feel things OK but am dropping stuff all over the place, and I'm sure I've learned some new cuss words in the process, and it certainly doesn't help either my temper or my blood pressure!

Robbity
Due to my thumbs not working properly I now have more chips on the outside of my plate than on it!!

I use to have serious problems with carpal tunnel in my right hand. I did a lot of manual work on my working days. Since the op nearly two years ago they are better and working properly except the arthritic one!