Need help

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing for around three months and for the three months before that since my pre or type 2 borderline diagnosis cutting down on intake. I have lost 17kgs which I am working out to be 20% of my body weight. I am exercising daily at the gym as I have always done and I am just entering the normal weight ratio on BMI scale, problem is I can't stop loosing weight and comments on loosing too mich weight. What do I do? I can only think if increasing unrefined carbs. Blood sugars not exceeding 6-7 two hours after but that's low carb meals. I am in a bit of a dilemma and would like some suggestions. Do I stop daily hour at the gym?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
You could try increasing your calorie intake with more protein or fat.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi.

I am having a similar dilemma, having reached my target weight a couple of weeks ago. The only way to do it as far as I can see is to increase calorie intake without increasing carbs. This means adding extra fat or extra protein. I have never eaten cheese in my life, believing I don't like it, so I forced myself to eat some and am now enjoying it. Cheese is quite calorific so I'm hoping this will work, although I have accidentally lost another 3lbs in the last 2 weeks! I will have to have a re-think.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I'm eating lots of fat. No low fat option eaten. Greek yogurt for breakfast with seeds lots of cheese as snacks and lots of oily fish. I have not eaten meat for 20 years. I am sure my cholesterol will have gone up when next checked.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I feel the same about increasing my fat any more other than adding cheese. It's a difficult one. Maybe you could introduce the odd extra carbs and test them out with your meter. It's always possible you can tolerate a few things you couldn't before, or a slightly larger portion, but use your meter to make sure. I think some nuts are high in calories too.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You need to be ocd for a week and e.get everything into Myfitnesspal
Find out calories and percent of macros p,c,f.
The odds are you aren't eating enough fat to replace the lost carbs

Reactions: 2 people

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If I go down the route of adding unrefined carbs does that not suggest the NICE guidance has some credibility? I love the idea of peanuts, at least I know I have no allergy to them. Maybe I shod just carry on and see where it stops, if it does. If I am serous about wanting to address the diagnosis I do t want to go back to eating carbs.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
I had the same problem, so a few months back I went from low carbs to low carb high fat. This worked and I have put weight back on. I now eat larger portions of meat and fish (the fatter the better), lots of butter and hard cheese, double cream and / or full fat Greek yoghurt, almonds mayo aubergines ... And a pint if beer or a couple of glasses of red wine with food helps.

Most of the reports / trials you read say you do not have to worry about cholesterol if on a low carb high fat diet, indeed most see an improvement in cholesterol.... The key is, very low carbs.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 59. Then diagnosed T1 / LADA in December. On a LcHf diet taking no insulin or medication, and striving to keep my BS readings to dr Bernstein's recommended 4.6 pre breakfast and 5.6 2hr after eating in order to keep as many insulin making pancreas beta cells as possible for as long as I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
You need to be ocd for a week and e.get everything into Myfitnesspal
Find out calories and percent of macros p,c,f.
The odds are you aren't eating enough fat to replace the lost carbs

Neither the original poster nor I want to eat any more fat. Personally speaking, I did eat enough fat to make up the extra calories lost by low carb whilst on 1200 calories a day. I must now eat 1450 calories to maintain. That is an extra 250 calories a day, and not easy to find from fats and protein alone when I already eat more than the recommended allowance of protein (0.75g per kilo of body weight). I use MFP religiously. However, I do not intend to increase my carbs as my BS are not where I want them to be yet, so extra fats and/or protein it will have to be.

I also eat full fat yogurt, butter, cheese, mayonnaise, eggs, bacon, mushrooms cooked in butter, oily fish, ordinary fish, red meat and so on.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have not been monitoring my input, but I was a big eater before albeit high carb intake and have not felt as though I was going without since low carbing. To increase fat would be difficult as I think I eat good meals and snack on fat. I have had difficulty reducing portion size especially in the evening when I seem to be at my hungriest. My job is fairly sedentary it's only the gym where I burning around 400 calories.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been low carbing for around three months and for the three months before that since my pre or type 2 borderline diagnosis cutting down on intake. I have lost 17kgs which I am working out to be 20% of my body weight. I am exercising daily at the gym as I have always done and I am just entering the normal weight ratio on BMI scale, problem is I can't stop loosing weight and comments on loosing too mich weight. What do I do? I can only think if increasing unrefined carbs. Blood sugars not exceeding 6-7 two hours after but that's low carb meals. I am in a bit of a dilemma and would like some suggestions. Do I stop daily hour at the gym?

If you are just entering the "healthy BMI" range, it is highly unlikely you are clinically underweight, so from that perspective, you probably have quite a window to address the issue before it would become a medical concern. I accept that your preferences and social pressures may differ from that perspective.

Having lost my poundage, to my preferred, personal level, then continued to lose, I appreciate your concern and I do empathise. What have done so far is, firstly to add something different to my diet. For me, it was a portion of peanuts with my lunch. I took that approach because I wanted something lowish carb, which I know I can drop at any time. It's also easy to identify the nutrition I receive from those, and therefore I can easily track whether it's working or not. Cutting to the chase, it wasn't enough.

Step two has involved widening some of my meal choices, to include some carbs I had given up (with appropriate testing, clearly), and see how that went. I had no discernible change in blood scores, but still have lost weight, albeit now at a pretty slow rate.

Step three is just increasing my portion size a tiny bit, so the mix remains, but the calories increase. Again, testing. I haven't been on this tack long enough to assess its efficacy.

I'm shortly about to relocate from my home-from-home to home, and this will introduce a new set of variables in terms of climate, dietary options and I will be cooking for one for a few weeks until my OH joins me.

It's really all just about trial and error and, in my view, taking smaller steps, then waiting for some time to elapse to review the results. I'm desperate not to go into a yo-yo phase, so I am being conservative.

Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes, because this is a fairly regular topic on the forum, although, somewhat less frequent than queries at the beginning of the weight reduction/blood scores phase.

Oh. And I am also a disciple to myfitnesspal.

Happy eating!!

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Many thanks for the responses and guidance. Must admit I am not an advocate of BMI for all the well documented reasons. Also working out as I do I have some muscle mass although its dwindling. I guess I bound to get lots of comments from people about my weight loss as its so
Marked but I can see little visible sign of being overweight although BMI would suggest just entering normal.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Somethings like chia seeds and flax seeds etc are easy to put on food and may add some calories in without adding to thinking about extras too much.
However with flax seed you are best to start off only eating a teaspoon a day!!!
I make the equivalent of a bounty bar and my hubby likes it as a treat, and the portion he gets only adds to 8g!! This is maintenance as he too reached his goal weight but has stabilised.with minimal additions..

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Somethings like chia seeds and flax seeds etc are easy to put on food and may add some calories in without adding to thinking about extras too much.
However with flax seed you are best to start off only eating a teaspoon a day!!!
I make the equivalent of a bounty bar and my hubby likes it as a treat, and the portion he gets only adds to 8g!! This is maintenance as he too reached his goal weight but has stabilised.with minimal additions..

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

Loving life

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry to be a pain, but I just checked my BMI on NHS choices website calculator, apparently I'm still a little overweight. Unbelievable. I'm scrawny now. I know I would be bit up because I weigh myself clothed at the gym with trainers and my physique, but could be 5lbs plus overweight according to BMI. If I reduced to the suggested I would consider myself underweight,

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
The BMI index is only a guide - if you have been to the gym a lot you could have built up more muscle which is heavier and so your apparent BMI will be higher but in a smaller body.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree that was my thinking, so I find it difficult to know when to stop loosing weight. I know people are commenting on don't loose any more.i last weighed this amp unit when I was 17. 34 years ago. I don't feel energetic sometimes. I have to decide on an ideal weight and make or my stop weight.

Sunstreaker

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I took advice given and started to eat peanuts and more fat usually in the form of Greek yoghurt and the decline stopped and had remained constant now for a couple of months. I had my repeat bloods taken last week and my non fasting cholesterol has dropped slight so good news there and my HBA1c has dropped also from six months ago to 6.2, back into pre diabetes range from its 6.5 borderline. Yes this is good but not the hooray I've done it i was hoping for. I can't understand when my diet is relatively stable with previously mentioned fats & cheese my diet consists of mainly salad veg and fish why it's still at this level. Am I just being hard on my self??

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
good to hear, low carb high fat is a good way to handle diabetes, your gut fat, liver pancreas fat and pancreas beta cells and insulin resistance comes into it, cutting carbs and losing weight is the main thing initially though.
how many carbs are you having a day? did you use myfitnesspal or similar to do a count, there are a lot of hidden carbs